Summerlong by Dean Bakopoulos

Summerlong

by Dean Bakopoulos

Didn't finish. Too many F-bombs. ( )
  euroclewis | Jun 8, 2016 |
Summerlong by Dean Bakopoulos
This book starts out with a married couple, two kids and they are nearing 40 and some changes are coming to each of them.
One night he gets up and walks out to find a woman lying in the grass and ends up waking up next to her in the morning. She has taken a run she knows he's home in the basement watching TV, he'd be there for the kids if they should waken.
She ends up having a few beers with a younger man. Iowa is where they live. Don works at a real estate agency. The cops find them both and deliver them home along with a foreclosure notice and their kids with a cop on the lawn wrapped in blankets.
Neither of them explain where they had been and doing-it's just a fantasy, now back to real life. Claire is an author but only has one book under her belt.
We learn of their other relationships and what is going through their minds...
Stories go back in time before they met, during their dating years and up to date present time spent with others.
Lives of all involved intertwine and loved hearing of the northern woods vacation...but will they have a chance at forever love?
  jbarr5 | Apr 29, 2016 |
Very easy read. Pulled me right along. ( )
  BethEtter | Dec 20, 2015 |
I had never heard of this author nor anything about the book before I started reading it. Sometimes this is a good thing. In this case it was. I had now expectations. It is an interesting take on a marriage that is imploding, and adds some offbeat sideline players to the mix. I do think it is helpful to be at least in your late 30's or older and married to appreciate the book. The story is a little predictable, and things do all kind of come together too neatly, but it was a very good book. ( )
  zmagic69 | Oct 18, 2015 |
A couple on the verge of divorce in the sweltering heat of summer find comfort in strange ways and with other troubled souls. ( )
  amanaceerdh | Sep 1, 2015 |

The author of Please Don’t Come Back from the Moon and My American Unhappiness delivers his breakout novel: a deft and hilarious exploration of the simmering tensions beneath the surface of a contented marriage which explode in the bedrooms and backyards of a small town over the course of a long, hot summer.

In the sweltering heat of one summer in a small Midwestern town, Claire and Don Lowry discover that married life isn’t quite as they’d predicted.

One night Don, a father of three, leaves his house for an evening stroll, only to wake up the next morning stoned, and sleeping in a hammock next to a young woman he barely knows. His wife, Claire, leaves the house on this same night to go on a midnight run—only to find herself bumming cigarettes and beer outside the all-night convenience store.

As the summer lingers and the temperature rises, this quotidian town’s adults grow wilder and more reckless while their children grow increasingly confused. Claire, Don, and their neighbors and friends find themselves on an existential odyssey, exploring the most puzzling quandaries of marriage and maturity. When does a fantasy become infidelity? When does compromise become resentment? When does routine become boring monotony? Can Claire and Don survive everything that befalls them in this one summer, forgive their mistakes, and begin again?

Award-winning writer Dean Bakopoulos delivers a brutally honest and incredibly funny novel about the strange and tenuous ties that bind us, and the strange and unlikely places we find connection. Full of mirth, melancholy, and redemption, Summerlong explores what happens when life goes awry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible