Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave

Eight Hundred Grapes (2016)

by Laura Dave

"Set in the lush backdrop of Sonoma's wine country, "Eight Hundred Grapes" is a...novel about love, marriage, family, wine, and the treacherous terrain in which they all intersect"--

Georgia discovers that her fiance has been hiding parts of his life from her so she escapes home where she knows where she stands ... except that even her family are hiding things from her. I could relate to Georgia's difficulty in coping with being kept in the dark. How she comes to resolve her relationships with her fiance and her parents in particular makes the story most compelling. She is wishy washy at times, but she eventually gets there. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Sep 14, 2019 |
The book was okay. I felt connected enough to finish the book, but I found myself not caring much what happened to the characters. I loved the setting and found the bits about winemaking interesting. Maybe I'd like a trip to Sebastopol. ( )
  Beth.Clarke | Jun 28, 2019 |
I have to be vague to avoid spoilers, there's not much listed on the book jacket about what the secrets are and it's best to find out as you read.

Georgia finds out her fiancée has been keeping a huge secret. She finds out his secret while at her wedding dress fitting.

She shows up unexpectedly at her parents' house. She soon finds out that her parents were keeping several big secrets from her and her brothers have been keeping a secret too.

Poor girl. She goes home for comfort, thinking atleast being with her family will help. But now she has to face up to all the secrets that everyone has been keeping, trying not to upset her before her wedding.

Will there even be a wedding now?
Will everyone get their own dramas figured out?

Someone else might have taken this same storyline and just focused on all the drama, they could have made it feel very much like "poor Georgia".
But this author did a good job of making this story about the characters and making us care for them.

I enjoyed the winery setting and all the wine talk. Read this book with a glass of wine if you can :)
  Mishale1 | Dec 29, 2018 |
Georgia is at her final wedding gown fitting when she spots her fiancé walking down the street with a woman and child. Learning that her fiancé has been less than open with her, she runs back to her childhood home only to learn that her parents are splitting and selling their family vineyard to a competitor. Georgia has a lot to sort out.

I enjoyed this book. There are a lot of family secrets that come out when Georgia returns home. Accusations are made and Georgia has to face up to some of them as others in the family have to face up to theirs. It makes for interesting reading as Georgia keeps putting her problems on the back burner to deal with others' problems only to have them force her to face her own problems. She needed their insights.

I liked most of the characters but not all. I wasn't crazy about her fiancé, her brother Bobby, or her mother. They were not warm, fussy people. The ending is what was right for Georgia. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 25, 2018 |
The story was good but again the audible version had a narrator that I wasn't a fan of. But the story was enjoyable and kept me entertained. ( )
  karenvg3 | Mar 19, 2018 |

Laura Dave is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,726,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible