Eight Hundred Grapes by Laura Dave

Eight Hundred Grapes (2016)

by Laura Dave

2.5 ( )
  tifhayes | May 22, 2017 |
I am so thrilled when I come across a previously unknown to me author, a 5-star book, that just takes me by surprise. One I immediately purchase, recommend and gift to friends, reread, and put that author on my 'must-read' list. Often it is something intangible, but it all comes together in a sublime wonderful read. Eight Hundred Grapes is about family, relationships, second chances. The characters relationship with the land is inextricably wound into the story, making the location a quiet presence. Well done, and thank you Laura Dave! ( )
  CMDH5 | May 3, 2017 |
One week before Georgia Ford's wedding, she learns a secret about her fiancé that sends her fleeing back to the comfort of her parents' California vineyard home. But when she gets there, she discovers that her various family members all have drama of their own going on.

This book was a solid meh for me. It's not awful or anything, but I just never managed to care much about either the characters' winemaking business or their relationship issues, and I found too many of the details and events of the story a bit too contrived. Possibly I might have enjoyed it at least a little more if I had any actual interest in wine, but, honestly, I barely even drink the stuff, so all the loving details about organic grape-growing were pretty much lost on me. ( )
  bragan | Mar 8, 2017 |
This is a wonderful book. I loved the story and twists along the way to the end. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Feb 28, 2017 |
A fun light read - best enjoyed with a glass of pinot noir since there's a lot of talk about wine. I read this on a long drive and finished it the same day I started it. One week before her wedding Georgia finds out her fiancée is keeping a huge secret from her. She heads home to her family’s vineyard while she tries to sort things out. When she arrives she finds out it isn’t just her fiancée who is keeping secrets. Her parents and her brothers have secrets and problems of their own.

I loved the setting at a vineyard in Sonoma county and the details of how a winery is run added a fun aspect to the story. I liked Georgia's family, flaws and all. Their love for each other was heartwarming without being cloying. I admired how they avoided telling her what to do, instead allowing her to come to her own conclusions.

Not all of it may have been realistic, but this isn't the genre I turn to for realism :-) I picked up a signed copy at an indy bookstore in SF and I'm glad I did. it made a long drive more pleasant. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |

"Set in the lush backdrop of Sonoma's wine country, "Eight Hundred Grapes" is a...novel about love, marriage, family, wine, and the treacherous terrain in which they all intersect"--

Laura Dave is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,353,676 books! | Top bar: Always visible