Bradstreet Gate by Robin Kirman

Bradstreet Gate

by Robin Kirman

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion of this book or my review itself.

Three people enter Harvard as undergraduates, thinking this is the key to making their lives perfect. But an overly charming professor and a murder on campus shake their worlds to the core. As they graduate and grow into adults, the events from those four years continue to reverberate through every facet of their lives.

I really liked Part 1, and the first half of Part 2. The mystery is highly intriguing, the characters are complex and interesting, and the writing style is excellent. Starting in modern day and flashing back to the events from the past creates a real sense of suspense that made me have to keep reading.

From the second half of Part 2, through the end of the book, I just didn't love it. The mystery I was promised gets lost in the characters' ponderings, and the story really seems to just sort of meander along.

I'm someone who always wants a mystery resolved, and not having any resolution to this mystery really left me unsatisfied. Reading an essay by the author located in the back of the book, it does seem this was exactly the intention, but it's not an intention I really enjoyed.

To me, this definitely isn't the next The Secret History (one of my all-time favorite books), as some of the blurbs tout it as. This is not a bad book by any means, but the potential of the beginning of the book just seems to peter out about halfway through, and the non-solution left me unsatisfied.

I think Kirman was just trying to do too much. Honestly, if the murder hadn't been included at all, I think the book would have been a tighter read. The author's purpose could definitely have been achieved using the other relationships, dramas, and revelations within the pages. ( )
  seasonsoflove | Mar 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is one of those where the premise is a little superior to the execution. I was wishing it was more of a page-turner than what it was, which was a more introspective character exploration. ( )
  mermaidatheart | Sep 20, 2016 |
Murdered in her senior year at Harvard, Julia Patel’s three classmates and one visiting professor stories are at the center of the plot. Charlie, Georgia, Charlies, and professor Storrow off campus lives is full of secret, much of which has nothing to do with the murder. Like a dysfunctional family, the plot has a lot of twists and turns, backtracking and sideshows, but nothing that results in figuring out the murderer’s motive. Interesting introduction to the four characters, but it is not I can’t wait to find out who done it mystery. ( )
  bemislibrary | Sep 11, 2016 |
could not finish or get into at all. ( )
  maryintexas39 | Aug 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a difficult book to read because I think it was the death of the girl which made me think that this was a murder mystery. It is not a murder mystery and the the murder is not the focal point of the book. This is a book about relationships both good and bad. i believe Ms. Kirman did a very good job of explaining the three friends relationship around the professor and how the murder changed each of their lives and of the impact such an event could have on an individual. As I have stated in past reviews it it not my intention to disclose the story just to give you my impressions. So I would read this book for a chapter and put it down for a while. There are other books that when I put them down never got finished. This was not one of them. The story stays with you so you keep reading. I hope you do the same. ( )
  johntgriffin | Aug 15, 2016 |

A tour de force debut about a campus murder for readers of Donna Tartt, Meg Wolitzer, and Jeffrey Eugenides

When Charlie, Georgia and Alice arrive at Harvard, they’re anticipating the kind of college experience that only the Ivy League can offer. An elite and revered institution, the school’s every course, social event and ritual is infused with the promise of future success and happiness, and these years will mark their entry into the lives they’d always imagined for themselves.

Charlie, an earnest scholar at odds with his blue collar upbringing, has fallen for Georgia, the beautiful, elusive daughter of a famous artist and provocateur. Alice is a dark, striking and complicated young woman who arrived at college to escape from her Serbian immigrant family, and while she sees Georgia as a rival, the girls’ mutual fascination for one another fuels a tumultuous but fierce friendship. When Georgia begins meeting with a mysterious new lover, Charlie and Alice find themselves allied, and are determined to uncover the secrets that she’s keeping from them.

Then, right before graduation, a classmate is found murdered on campus and Rufus Storrow, a charismatic but controversial professor whose presence has loomed large in all three friends’ lives, is suspected of the crime. Over the course of the next ten years, as Charlie, Georgia, and Alice grapple with new phases of adulthood, they cannot forget the event that marked their youth and spurred the rift that would tear their friendship apart. As they witness the unraveling of a beloved teacher’s life, they must also reckon with their own deceits and shortcomings, each desperately in search of the truth and the chance to be forgiven.

A relentless, provocative, keenly intelligent novel about promise, disappointment, and the often tenuous bonds of long-term friendship, Bradstreet Gate is the auspicious debut of a tremendously talented new writer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Robin Kirman's book Bradstreet Gate was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,023,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible