Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire -…

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - unidentified work

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is another really strong entry in this series, following on nicely from the equally good Prisoner of Azkaban. However, readers should be aware that this is by far the darkest of the stories to date. While obviously not graphic, there is death and torture on the table this time around and so younger readers may find this novel to be a bit scary in places.

The book is also a lot longer than previous instalments and, in places, it certainly felt it. While I criticised Prisoner of Azkaban for feeling a bit rushed in places, Goblet of Fire went a little too far the other way. The book is slow to start and felt padded in places, with huge gaps between tasks and over a hundred pages passing before Harry even got to Hogwarts. I think that some subplots, such as Hermione's attempt to liberate the House Elves, really could have been trimmed out for length as they ultimately didn't really go anywhere.

The plot of the story is, however, excellent. While I didn't feel that the ending twist was quite as well integrated as the one in Prisoner of Azkaban, as some key information is withheld from the reader until the last part of the novel, it is still a really enthralling read filled with exciting and dramatic moments. The Triwizard Cup keeps the plot moving, meaning there is less focus on lessons than in previous books and plenty more surprises, as the reader experiences the escalating challenges along with Harry.

However, I do have issues with certain devices within this story. It's nitpicking, I know, but I absolutely hate portkeys. They are my biggest irrational bugbear with this series, in part because they seem to operate in varying ways due to plot convenience. No spoilers here but why does the one at the end of the novel not follow the same rules as the one at the start? This really is personal and it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but there you go.

Yet it's the characterisation of this novel that really gets me. While this book is not quite as personal to Harry as Prisoner of Azkaban, it's characters felt real and got a lot of emotional growth. Harry and his closest friends still bicker and fall out (as teens do), but they pull together where needed. The importance of family is still important to the tale, contrasting the way that a bad childhood influenced the villains of the story but, at the same time, how Harry rose past this.

At the same time, the book once again fleshed out Rowling's world with some great and colourful characters. Mad-Eye Moody really does steal the show in this novel as he is deeply unpredictable and rebellious at all times. Vile reporter Rita Skeeter is also certainly unforgettable, and her comeuppance is utterly fantastic.

So, all in all, I did really enjoy this book. I'm not sure if it's as good as Prisoner of Azkaban but it certainly comes very close. I really do look forward to see what will come next. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Oct 24, 2017 |
  snvids | Oct 3, 2007 |
This is really great book in my opinion

check my blog
added by kinemo | editasdas, asdasdsad

This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book or its movie adaptation, so this "work" should not be combined with either of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,516,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible