The Other Duke (The Notorious Flynns, #1) by…

The Other Duke (The Notorious Flynns, #1)

by Jess Michaels

What a great storyline. There were several unexpected twists that made this book out of the ordinary. I look forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  LadyTi | Sep 5, 2017 |
This is the first Jess Michaels book that I have every read, so I was unsure of what to expect. But what I found with in the first few chapters was a mixture of delight, intrigue and for one character total disgust.
So unlike all of my past reviews where I don’t reveal the characters, in this book I will, because unlike most of the historical romances I read, in this book it’s all about the characters and not so heavily focused on the storyline (yea! I’m so happy).
Serafina McPhee is our leading lady. Beautiful, intelligent and locked in a prison, where the jail keepers are her Father and her intended Cyril.
Cyril, Duke of Hartholm is Serafina’s intended and in her own words he is Cruel. Horrible. Disgusting. Hateful…and thankfully dead.
Rafe Flynn is the new Duke of Hartholm, and not only has he inherited a Dukedom, but a future wife as well… and for one of the Notorious Flynns, having a wife is just not what he was planning on.

But I cannot just tease you with the characters and not give you the story…well at least a little of it anyway. In the first chapter, Serafina is at the seamstress getting fitted for her wedding day to the vile Cyril, Duke of Hartholm. Thankfully her best friend Emma is there to see her through this arduous task. It is not a surprise that she is marrying vile Cyril; her father had secured his social climbing clutches when poor Serafina was a little girl of 6 years old. She has been raised to be a duchess and act appropriate at all times. Although at the moment that her odious Father (he really is awful) informs her that Vile Cyril is dead, she has a glimmer of hope, a chance to still break free of her father’s prison, in hopes of freedom. And yep, I am going to leave it there, with just a little taster of the great things to come.

So let’s start off with all the great and fabulous things I LOVE about this book. The characters are whole, not one dimensional, they have a back story; their lives don’t begin and end with this book. The writing of this book is perfect, smooth and with no time period errors. So one to the one thing I disliked about this book….that I am going to have to wait till March 10th for the next story.
I really enjoyed reading this book; in fact I read it twice, because I was not quite ready to give up the characters. It was a truly beautiful story, one where I cried and smiled. So I urge you, read this book, you won’t be sorry.

I give The Other Duke 10 out of 10
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
...an inherited lordship--and a fiancé!

I find myself torn between my liking of the characters and wanting more meat on the bones of the plot.
I have a great deal of sympathy for both Rafe, the Duke of Hartholm, and Serafina McPhee. The hook, that of both protagonists being forced into something neither wants, works well. For Serafina this is just the continuation of the story of her life. Certainly her plight brings home the historical assumption that women (particularly of this strata of society) were merely objects to barter for land, inheritance and funds, with little or no say in the direction of their life and their future partner. Serafina's treatment by her father and dead fiancé is despicable and highlights the powerlessness that women had and that they truly were at the mercy of husbands, fathers and brothers. The power to choose ones own path was difficult.
The plight of these two, forced into marriage due to the way a contract was worded shows the intrangability and stupidity of the law. Being forced into the inheritance of a title and the responsibilities of that is also true to the times (we've all seen that situation in action in Downton Abbey!)
I enjoyed the plot, although I feel that the amount of time we spent entangled in Rafe's continued wooing and bedding of Serafina was way too much and came at the expense of a more developed storyline.
We are privy via the various characters to the full range of emotions; anger, sorrow, fear, rage and love.
Raphael is all that we could ask; kind, understanding, protective and loving. The rake becomes the paragon of understanding.
Serafina is wounded, frightened and with difficulty finds her voice.
I was unsure as to whether I actually liked Rafe's brother Crispin. I mellowed somewhat towards him in the final pages.
An enjoyable read but could have been so much more.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jan 13, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,450,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible