The Great American Disconnect: Seven…

The Great American Disconnect: Seven Fundamental Threats to Our Democracy

by Jed Morey

113,689,591 (5)None
Recently added byEllAreBee

I won this in a GoodReads' First Reads giveaway.

I've held off on writing a review for so long because everything in the book stayed with me. It angered me. I think that any review I write won't be sufficient enough to praise this book. Morey focuses on the aspects of our government and of our country that the majority know and understand the least. I learned a great deal more about economics, especially with the early sections on deregulation and speculation. The amount of control that one person can have is astounding and frightening, and to see it abused is nauseating, yet so unsurprising, given the ethics of many of today's "leaders."

My one minor quibble is Morey's discussion of Occupy Wall Street. Again, like many recent well-intentioned efforts, I think it's badly executed. It has no clear message and certainly isn't a revolution. I wish it was - if it had been, maybe the political and economic landscape would look a whole lot different.

This is a must-read for anyone with the slightest interest in the inner workings of government, politics, and the economy. It took a while for me to read, but it was absolutely worth it. ( )
  EllAreBee | Sep 19, 2016 |

The story of America, as told to us by the political establishment, is not unlike Scripture that attempts to explain our circumstances in a manner that must be accepted as gospel. The truth is that America has been hijacked by powerful special corporate interests whose paths toward profit are lubricated by political accomplices complicit in a scheme that suppresses opportunity and freedom among the masses. Our state of denial has caused us to drift far from the nation we believe ourselves to be while holding tightly to an image of the nation we wish to be.

Such is the state of our disunion. Welcome to The Great American Disconnect.

Our laws equate corporations with people. Our government favors progress at any cost over preservation at every cost. We use food to make fuel while children go hungry, vilify climate science and freely refer to environmentalism as a form of Nazism—as if protecting that which gives life to the planet is somehow evil. We claim to honor our soldiers but where is the honor in deploying them just to protect our oil interests? We attack corporate subsidies for renewable energy while protecting tax breaks and loopholes for large fossil fuel companies. An aging middle class population, which for years paid into the Social Security and Medicare systems, believes such programs should be abolished for future generations. Fiscal conservatives call for more deregulation—the most liberal and irresponsible of economic beliefs—a strategy that nearly led to the collapse of the entire economic system.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 29 Aug 2015 21:41:25 -0400)

The story of America, as told to us by the political establishment, is not unlike scripture that attempts to explain our circumstances in a manner that must be accepted as gospel. The truth is that America has been hijacked by powerful special corporate interests whose paths toward profit are lubricated by political accomplices complicit in a scheme that suppresses opportunity and freedom among the masses. Our state of denial has caused us to drift far from the nation we believe ourselves to be while holding tightly to an image of the nation we wish to be. Such is the state of our disunion. Welcome to The Great American Disconnect. Our laws equate corporations with people. Our government favors progress at any cost over preservation at every cost. We use food to make fuel while children go hungry, vilify climate science and freely refer to environmentalism as a form of Nazism-as if protecting that which gives life to the planet is somehow evil. We claim to honor our soldiers but where is the honor in deploying them just to protect our oil interests? We attack corporate subsidies for renewable energy while protecting tax breaks and loopholes for large fossil fuel companies. An aging middle class population, which for years paid into the Social Security and Medicare systems, believes such programs should be abolished for future generations. Fiscal conservatives call for more deregulation-the most liberal and irresponsible of economic beliefs- a strategy that nearly led to the collapse of the entire economic system. In 1929 the American economy collapsed under its own weight; the result of hubris, greed and the belief that progress was a fundamental and irreversible aspect of capitalism. The primary distinction between then and now is that today's American economic system isn't collapsing from the top down; it's rotting from the inside out. This is what happens when an organism is beset by disease. The Great American Disconnect explores the democratic creation myth and attempts to verbalize the malaise that has taken hold of our political system.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,473,523 books! | Top bar: Always visible