Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who…

Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh

by Sally M. Walker

Other authors: Jonathan D. Voss (Illustrator)

This was awesome! To know that Winnie was real makes me so happy, I love her, always have. Winnie was a real bear who lived during the time of WWI, she was an aid to her caregiver Harry Colebourn who happen to be a soldier in the army. Winnie was a lovable bear that everyone enjoyed. She stayed with Harry until he had to go to battle in France. She was given to the London Zoo, here is where her story turned into a book. A little boy named Christopher Robin came to play with her and feed her. Who knew that during a time like this, a story so magical grew into something we still love and cherish today. ( )
  atassin | Oct 30, 2018 |
The loveable story of Winnie.

This is the tale of how one bear cub came out to the world. From one bear cub being sold at a train station in Canada to being the cute and remarkable bear that inspired Winnie-the-Pooh. ( )
  DaffiMere | Oct 8, 2018 |
I loved this book, I thought it was such a sweet story. I enjoyed seeing the old pictures of the bear who inspired Winnie-the-Pooh in the beginning and end of the book. I also liked the illustrators style of work throughout the entire story. I thought it was great how one little stop at the zoo inspired such a great line of books, shows, and movies. ( )
  rabertucci | Sep 23, 2018 |
A great story about the beginning of how Winnie the Pooh came about. I've always been a fan of the stories of Winnie the Pooh and it was fascinating to read about how there was an actual bear named Winnie! It's amazing what can inspire a fiction story. This could be a great book to read to young ones so they know the true story behind one of the most famous beloved children's character.
  mjlizro | Aug 12, 2018 |
Harry Colebourn sees a bear at a train stop and goes out to meet her, he ends up buying her and they become fast friends. Winnie, the bear, is like a shadow to Harry she follows him around all the soldiers in the camp love her. When then war takes a turn and Harry must go to England he takes Winnie with him, they are latter sent to France. Winnie can't come to France with everyone so she is sent to live at the London zoo where everyone falls in love with her. When the war is over Harry decides that Winnie should stay at the Zoo forever because it is her home now. One day a young boy, named Christopher Robin, comes to visit Winnie and he is enthralled with her. Latter that night the father Tells Christopher a story about Winnie-the-Pooh who lives in the woods.
  klamproe | Nov 28, 2017 |

Sally M. Walkerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Voss, Jonathan D.Illustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Who could care for a bear?

When Harry Colebourn saw a baby bear for sale at the train station, he knew he could care for it. Harry was a veterinarian. But he was also a soldier in training for World War I.

Harry named the bear Winnie, short for Winnipeg, his company’s home town, and he brought her along to the training camp in England. Winnie followed Harry everywhere and slept under his cot every night. Before long, she became the regiment’s much-loved mascot.

But who could care for the bear when Harry had to go to the battleground in France? Harry found just the right place for Winnie while he was away—the London Zoo. There a little boy named Christopher Robin came along and played with Winnie—he could care for this bear too!

Sally Walker’s heartwarming story, paired with Jonathan Voss’s evocative illustrations, brings to life the story of the real bear who inspired Winnie the Pooh.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:57:34 -0400)

"When Harry Colebourn saw a baby bear at a train station, he knew he could care for it. Harry was a veterinarian. But he was also a soldier in training during World War I. Harry named the bear Winnie, short for Winnipeg, his company's home town, and he brought her along to the military camp in England. Winnie followed Harry everywhere and slept under his cot every night. Before long, she became the regiment's much-loved mascot. But who could care for the bear when Harry went to battle? Harry found just the right place for Winnie--the London Zoo. There a boy named Christopher Robin played with Winnie--he could care for this bear too!"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible