Vessel by John Bowen

Vessel

by John Bowen

A strange object has been circulating throughout the known history of man, and as the story begins it is the present day and while a group of scientist/linguists are studying it, people are being murdered as others try to get the "vessel."

Our main characters are Nicholas, a former special services guy who has an estranged relationship with his wife, Holly, who is one of the scientists who ends up on the run. Nicholas comes to help, and together they figure out more about the vessel's function and role over the centuries.

I liked the idea of the object and it's function, and the mystery around it's purpose (and whose purpose is it?) Just where is this from? In the middle ages the object was believed by some to be the Grail, and a gift from God. That view looks different from a 21st-century perspective, and it raises interesting ideas about how people make sense of the world around them.

I really wanted to delve more into the mysteries of the vessel, the unknown script all over it's surface, its possible origins, etc. There was a bit more action/fighting than I tend to like, as I tend to like to delve into ideas and characters more than action, but then I'm probably not the target reader!

Anyway, an interesting premise and I'd like to see another book that follows where this one ends. ( )
  lynetterl | Apr 23, 2015 |

John Bowen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,387,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible