How (Not) to Fall in Love by Lisa Brown…

How (Not) to Fall in Love

by Lisa Brown Roberts

Darcy's rather charmed life is falling apart. The father she was always close to seems to have gone on sabbatical, and it doesn't look like he'll be back any time soon. In the meantime, her car's been repossesesed, her wealthy schoolmates are circling like sharks who smell blood in the water, and her stay at home mom is struggling to reenter the workforce. But then Darcy's estranged uncle reaches out, offering not money but a comforting distraction and all the moral support Darcy could want. It's not the part of town she's used to, but it's true family, true friends, and a heart-stoppingly gorgeous boy who makes her forget all her troubles, if only just for a few hours.

The Verdict: I've had some pretty awesome luck with YA stories lately, but I think this one outshines them all. Everything about it feels so incredibly real that it's more like a look inside a teenager's chaotic life than a work of someone's imagination.

Darcy has led a rather privileged life, but she's quickly disillusioned when it all begins to crumble. Her father's left town, and no one is sure where he's gone or if he's coming back. His company is failing without him, Darcy's car has been repossessed, and it looks like they're going to lose the house as well. And Darcy's mother, who hasn't been employed in forever, is drinking away her troubles while trying to make ends meet by working for a woman who makes snide comments behind her back. Darcy is quite understandably devastated, but she's also resilient, even if she doesn't quite realize it yet.

When her uncle, a man who hasn't seen her since she was a little girl, reaches out to her in the midst of all the upheaval, Darcy doesn't hesitate to visit. He can't solve their financial woes, but he becomes a stable, loving force in her life when she most needs it. With his emotional support, she finds her place in his downtrodden neighborhood, becoming friends with the boy who works for him and finding a job across the street. Her uncle Mike and his employee Lucas have trouble getting Darcy to really open up about everything, but they help her out in every way they can.

The entire story is really an amazing journey. Darcy grows up, takes responsibility even when the burden isn't hers, and refuses to shrink away in the face of all her family's problems. Lucas is refreshingly real as well, looking the part of the bad boy but never really playing it, and while it's clear he cares for Darcy on some level, as is often the case with teenage boys, his interest is difficult to define for a while.

Just as important as everything wonderful the story has are all the things it doesn't have. No cliches, no love triangles, no giant dramatic moments that seem too contrived to be real. Aside from the juvenile snobbishness of her schoolmates, there are no groups of mean girls waiting to pounce around every corner, no perfectly timed attack that gives Lucas an excuse to rescue her. The drama is much more subtle and in that way so much more powerful.

Darcy may be one of the most realistic and admirable teenage girls in fiction, and while there is certainly strong chemistry between her and Lucas, it's not overly sexualized. As an adult, I certainly don't mind reading about the more adult nature of relationships, but I also don't think that has to be major part of the plot in YA stories, and it was wonderful to read one of the rare books in the genre that manages to strike the perfect, age-appropriate balance. How (Not) to Fall in Love is one book I would absolutely recommend to readers of all ages. For teens, it doesn't cross any lines, and for adults, the story is so perfectly written, the characters so profoundly real, that it doesn't feel like anything is missing.

It's an incredible story of growing up, facing life's troubles, falling in love, reconnecting with family, and finding what's truly important in life. That this is the only book on Lisa Brown Roberts's shelf is unbelievable, and if this is what a debut looks like, I can only imagine how quickly I'll be blown away by what's to come. Needless to say, I'm already a fan for life.

***FicCentral received this book from Entangled Publishing (via NetGalley) for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
Darcy Covington has a perfect life, or as close to perfect as she can get.

Until one day the rug is ripped out from underneath her and her mother.

Darcy's car is repossessed in front of all her classmates and her families private affairs are now page one news. Her Dad's company is going under and he's nowhere to be found. Meanwhile her Mother is too busy drinking herself into oblivion to care that their house is being foreclosed on.

Left with nothing but the company of her dog Darcy realizes without help her and her mother are going to be living out on the street.

With no one else to turn to Darcy reaches out to her Uncle whom she lost touch with years ago. When Uncle Charlie reenters Darcy's life he brings with him a handful of colorful characters, each one changing Darcy's perspective about what's happening to her and how she's to deal with it.

I'm not going to lie, I was about 1/4 of the way into this book and I almost DNF it. I hated Darcy and her mother, I didn't care about what was happening to them or how they were going to get through it. I felt nothing towards this book but dislike and disinterest.

Just when I had had enough I forced myself to read one more chapter, then, I told myself, I could give up and pick a new book.

And I am so glad I read that one chapter.

There was a turning point in the book, one very minor and one that I can't even pinpoint now thinking back on it, but it was like I was reading a whole new book.

Darcy was now relatable and likable, even funny and sarcastic and instead of her drunk mother and rude classmates she was now surrounded by this slew of wonderful people. Charlie and Liz and of course Lucas.

This book grew on me and that's a very rare occurrence for me. I usually either hate a book or love it, from the first couple of chapters I know where I stand. But this book was a journey, one that needed to be navigated in a certain way in order to get to the perfect ending, and I'm glad I stuck around for that.

This is a debut book for Lisa and I'm very excited to see what else she has up her sleeve!

Until next time,
Ginger

In compliance with FTC guidelines I am disclosing that this book was given to me for free to review.
My review is my honest opinion. ( )
  Ginger_reader22 | Feb 11, 2015 |

Darcy only realizes her father is going bankrupt when her car gets towed, but while working in her hippie Uncle Charlie's thrift shop she sees the world in a new way, is attracted to his assistant, and searches for her now-missing father.

Lisa Brown Roberts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,444,180 books! | Top bar: Always visible