An Improper Proposal by Patricia Cabot

An Improper Proposal (edition 1999)

by Patricia Cabot

Member:ilibridifrancy
Title:An Improper Proposal
Authors:Patricia Cabot
Info:St. Martin's Paperbacks (1999), Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages

An Improper Proposal by Patricia Cabot

A fun early Meg Cabot book, from back when she wrote historical romance. I had to dig around to find this book, and I was glad I did because her writing style really shows through. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 3, 2013 |
I think I may institute a new romance novel grading system, "alerts":SEXISM: low (adjusted for historical significance; the main conflict has to do with the main character rebelling against the sexism of the time).RACISM: low-moderate (some amount of description of 'savages,' appropriate to the historical time period and not endorsed by the narrator. one non-white character, 'Mei-Ling,' who never appears on camera but is portrayed as a wise mother figure for the protagonist. considering that most of the book takes place on the high seas and in 'exotic' places, though, remarkably good).RIDICULOUS LANGUAGE: moderate (refers to a penis as a "staff," a man's chest hair as "fur," etc., but not on a regular basis).TITLE HAVING NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONTENT OF THE BOOK: high (I don't think there's a single improper proposal in the damn thing - I was expecting it to be of the 'virginal girl blackmailed into liaison with dangerous man who turns out to have a heart of gold' vein, and it wasn't in the very least).PLOT INCOHERENCE: moderate (completely implausible, and Patricia Cabot really needed to do more research into nautical life, but if you accept its premises it all follows pretty well).RAPE AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE: moderate (no on-screen rapes, some on-screen domestic violence on the part of the villain, rape continually mentioned as a threat or possibility).All in all, this book was well on the side of "I can deal with it, as a romance novel," but it's not the level of amusement I expect from Patricia Cabot. Apparently it was one of her earlier books, and I think it shows. ( )
1 vote flourishing | Mar 17, 2009 |
  flourishing | Mar 17, 2009 |
Payton Dixon grew up on ships with her three elder brothers and her father all encouraging her to climb, shoot, and sail as well as any boy. All her life she's wanted only two things: a clipper ship of her own to command and Captain Connor Drake.

Now, as both of her dreams are promised to others, she does all that is in her power to rescue both from the clutches of her own and her family's rivals.

Payton is thoroughly charming as a nautically-minded tomboy with her heart and head set to gain what she wants. Her frankness and lack of self-consciousness translate into a strong and capable femininity without losing her mischievous boyish ways.

I loved this book; it was sweet and funny, and the characters remained true to themselves throughout the novel (Payton wasn't turned 'girly' at the end). The interactions between the hero and heroine are alternately tender and hilarious.

An Improper Proposal is a lighthearted romantic comedy, and an exploration of unconventional gender roles and the appeal of an untraditional heroine perfectly capable of rescuing her own self as well as others. A wonderful read. ( )
  Caramellunacy | Jun 20, 2006 |
For Benjamin
"Dammit, Payton," Ross Dixon exploded. "I can't tie the wretched thing. You do it."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312971907, Mass Market Paperback)

A stormy heart

Adventurous, outspoken, Payton Dixon has two passionate dreams...a clipper ship of her own and the love of Captain Connor Drake. But both seem impossibly out of reach, since her beloved captain is about to marry another, and worse, he's been given her ship as a wedding present from her traitorous father.

A thwarted love

Out to prove she has right on her side, Payton manages to unleash a scandal and ignite all sorts of trouble. As for Drake, he can't decide whether to throttle the girl he's grown up with, or make love to the beautiful woman she has become.

An Improper Proposal

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:12 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,532,496 books! | Top bar: Always visible