The Haunted Season by G. M. Malliet

The Haunted Season

by G. M. Malliet

This is one of those cozy mysteries that permeates a sense of well-being with every word. I adore listening to the audio book, as I can knit as I hear the novel, making me feel doubly productive. This novel utilizes the movie "Strangers on a Train" as attempting to commit a murder, but providing an alibi. The characters run the gamut from silly to evil, and all the adjectives in between the mix. Max Tudor solves a mystery introduced in earlier novels concerning the killing of his past partner. The description of the English countryside and the events of this small community endear this series to the reader. A nice story that does not leave fear and suspicion in the reader's mind. ( )
  delphimo | Nov 28, 2015 |
Author G.M. Malliet does it again - delivers an impeccably written installment in her no-longer-a-spy-but-now-a-vicar Max Tudor series. I feared (perhaps as many others had) that "Demon Summer" would have been the last in this series as Malliet ran out of seasons by which to title her books. But thankfully, Max Tudor lives on and is now juggling being a Father to his parish and a father to Owen, the precious son he and his calm, spiritually centered wife Aweena are raising. But there's another ghastly murder near Max's bucolic-before-he-got-there village of Nether Monkslip and Max, again, find's himself in the middle of it all.
Malliet is a wizard at her craft of perfect pacing, subtle foreshadowing and tender storytelling in the face of a grizzly tale. This is definitely a keeper and worth the read. I'm hoping there's another wonderful season in Nether Monkslip for Malliet's readers to enjoy. It would surely be a shame if there's not.

Synopsis (from book's jacket):
Something sinister is stirring at Totleigh Hall, the showcase of the English village of Nether Monkslip. Usually, the Lord and Lady of the manor are absent—high tax rates, it is murmured with more than a trace of envy, force them to live on the continent for most of the year. But Lord and Lady Baaden-Boomethistle have been in residence for some weeks now, and the villagers are hoping for a return to the good old days, when the lord of the manor sprinkled benefits across the village like fairy dust. Father Max Tudor’s invitation to dinner at the Hall comes as a welcome novelty; it will be his first time meeting the famous family that once held sway in the area. But before he has time to starch his clerical collar and organize a babysitter, a sudden and suspicious death intervenes, and the handsome vicar’s talent for sorting through clues to a murder is once again called into play in this charming and clever novel. ( )
  KateBaxter | Oct 26, 2015 |
The Reverend Max Tudor, former of MI5, now the vicar of St. Edwold’s in Nether Monkslip, has a murder to help solve. Lord Baaden-Boomethistle of Totleigh Hall is murdered in a quite brutal way and everyone in the dysfunctional household is a suspect. The local cop, DCI Cotton, is never hesitant about asking Max to help, and it’s something the residents of Nether Monkslip have grown accustomed to. Even Max’s bishop doesn’t mind. But, now that he’s a husband and father, Max would rather be spending time with his wife Awena and infant son Owen. But duty calls and Max jumps into the case with both feet.

Investigating the case of Lord B-B is a matter of cutting through a tangle of secrets and lies. And Max, of course, is brilliant at it. SPOILER ALERT: But then something occurs that shows Max how un-idyllic life can be in his beloved Nether Monkslip and readers are left with an incredible cliff-hanger.

G.M. Malliet’s books are enormous gifts to readers. Her writing is absolutely superb. Her plots are complex and juicy. Her characters are multi-dimensional. When I read her first book, I compared it to Agatha Christie’s books. But now I believe G.M. Malliet is BETTER than Agatha Christie. I can only hope she is as long-lived and productive. ( )
  NewsieQ | Oct 11, 2015 |
In the Haunted Season, we find Max and Awena blissfully happy in their life with baby Owen. Soon, however, Max is embroiled in the investigation of another murder. The lord of the manor has lost his head...literally. This story seems to have less of the people of the town and more indirect descriptions. I didn't feel as involved in the story as in the first Max Tudor story. But the ending certainly leaves you wanting the next story to hurry along! ( )
  aztwinmom | Aug 30, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible