Held Against You by Season Vining

Held Against You

by Season Vining

I would like to thank Dundurn & NetGalley for granting me a copy of this ARC to read in exchange for an honest review. Though I received this e-book for free that in no way impacts my review.

Goodreads Teaser:
"Accused of a horrible crime and on the run, Kat has been rejected by everyone she loves. She’s a fugitive from her past, flitting from town to town with nothing but the clothes on her back. Until she meets a man who literally stops her in her tracks.

This notorious bounty hunter, with his stunning good looks and powerful instincts, never fails to capture his prey. But there’s something about his newest mark that gets under his skin–and it’s not just the naked innocence he sees in her eyes. Behind his ice cold demeanor, he has his own secrets... and now his lively, vulnerable captive is about to crack him wide open.

As they drive across the country together, neither of them can deny the spark of attraction between them. Will their journey force these two passionate opposites together…or will their dangerous secrets be too much to bear?"

Entertaining story, but lacks that certain je ne se quais that makes it stand out from all the others within the same genre. The characters are entertaining, yet they have a certain recycled feeling for me, almost as if bits and pieces of other characters were thrown into a blender until each of these characters came out. I suppose that could technically be said about all characters, heck all people, but in this case the main characters lack that cohesion that allows them to have a magnetism that draws me into their story. Unfortunately that leaves me with a story that feels rather like unleavened bread, except in this case there was supposed to be an element like yeast to allow the story to rise to its full potential (if we're sticking with the bread analogy) - and for me it was lacking that essential ingredient.

While all that may sound excessively negative, it doesn't mean that this story is a waste. It's a fun read, easy and mildly entertaining. That's simply my problem with it. The mild part. It was like going to watch a murder mystery movie that you were really excited about, only to figure out the entire plot, including the supposed twists, and who the actual killer really is, all in the first five minutes of the ninety minute movie. That leaves you with a movie where you're somewhat bored and restless, and apt to pay more attention to the scenery that the characters and action that was the original draw. But unfortunately that scenery isn't enough to return the film to its anticipated blockbuster hit status you held it to prior to seeing it (or in this case reading).

I may have judged this harshly, but I will say at the least it won't fail you as a beach read or post-surgery. It will keep your attention if there's nothing else around to distract you, and if you do get distracted and forget to mark your page - well if you pick it up again a few pages ahead of where you left off before, not to worry. . . you'll be caught up with the plot line in minutes, no worse for the wear. ( )
  Isisunit | Jun 23, 2015 |

Kat Percel is on the run. Faced with an impossible choice--go to jail for a crime she didn't commit or leave everything behind and start over--she becomes a fugitive, flitting from town to town with nothing but the clothes on her back. Until she meets a man who literally stops her in her tracks. That man's a movie-star handsome bounty hunter, but behind his chiseled jaw and cool demeanor, he has his own secrets... and no matter how pretty and vulnerable his prey seems, he couldn't care less whether Kat is actually guilty or innocent. When she's taken into custody by her hunky captor, she's forced to travel back home to Texas with him. But Kat is not the cold, hardened fugitive he expected, and as they drive across the country together, neither of them can deny the spark between them. Kat is more than just a job, but what future can a bounty hunter have with a girl who's running from the law?.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,810,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible