Earthshine by Chad T. Douglas

Earthshine

by Chad T. Douglas

212,551,640 (2)None
Recently added bySassyCassie, peralb

This is my first official review on LibraryThing, and my first time reviewing an eBook. I found the format (PDF) a bit hard to read (pages were too short - 582 pages in my verion), but that doesn't affect the content of the book of course.

Overall, I'd say the story was moderately engaging, it just seemed to meander quite a bit. Earthshine is the title, but we aren't introduced to the term until half-way through the book, and even then, it is unclear why it is significant. I enjoy sci-fi/fantasy, so found the descriptions of life on Mars in the 2500s interesting - how people live and travel around, android integration, etc. I wouldn't describe the story as overly inspired though.

The editing was more New Yorker magazine than popular newspaper; the abundance of run-on sentences broken up with commas all over had me reading and re-reading sections, just to follow the meaning. I prefer a book that sucks me in and lets me coast along, enjoying the story; I felt I had to work too hard with this to follow along. There were some typos in the book as well, which presumably might be caught if this goes to a paper-based version, but irritated my proofreading mind. More importantly, though, I never really felt like I cared about any of the characters. Some, I wasn't even sure why we were introduced to. The book got off to a very slow start, introducing a bit at a time...but then in some cases, I never figured out why; it could have started several chapters later than it did.

An okay read for someone with "life on Mars" stories as a hobby; for most of the rest of sci-fi readers, there are probably better options. ( )
  peralb | Jul 23, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Chad T. Douglas's book Earthshine was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,116,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible