Freedom's School by Lesa Cline-Ransome

Freedom's School

by Lesa Cline-Ransome

406285,656 (4)None

You could use this book for a read aloud for fourth grade. This book would be too long for younger students. This book would be great for a read-aloud because the students will be able to hear the characters dialect and can better understand the characters point of view.
  ddevers01 | Mar 2, 2017 |
Summary:
Freedoms School is a historical fiction book about slavery and the start to end it. One day the parents of Lizzie and Paul tell them that they are going to go to school rather than working in the field that day. They have been granted their freedom from slavery. They embark on their journey to learning how to read and write, but it wasn’t so easy at first. There were many obstacles they had to face such as angry white childrens throwing rocks at them, dangerous weather and their school burning down. While out of school, Lizzie and Paul continue to learn and use the books Mizz Howard gave them. With perseverance the community managed to get together and build a new school where their children can continue to learn, called “Freedom School.”

Reaction:
The book made me realise the many things that we take for granted. Simple things such as having a classroom, many books to read and good teachers. The literature wasn't of very good standard. I think this was used to emphasis the beginning of learning and how underprivileged children speak. The book gave a good impression on what slavery was like and the fear young children had, tyring to learn like white children. A quote from the book was quite powerful to me: “Why do white folks get so mad over us getting something they already got?” It brings you to understand how unfair the slavery days were especially the impact it had on young children. The illustrations enhance the text and really depict what life was like for the average African American. The choice of watercolors with non detailed drawings focuses you to the feelings of oppression, rather than just the text itself.

Classroom extensions:
1. Have a lesson on perseverance and patience.
2. Have a lesson on slavery and teach children about kindness and respect.
3. Maybe visit a underprivileged school so that children can understand and be more appreciative of what they have. ( )
  Robyn7 | Jul 19, 2016 |
I loved this book. My favorite part were the illustrations. They were very realistic looking and very colorful. I also liked the story. It was very believable. I especially liked how the author brought to life the feelings of fear from the children. The best part, to me, was how real everything felt. I could feel the flames coming off the burning school house and could taste the fear the children felt. This book was way too short for me, which is what I disliked about it. The main theme of the story was perseverance. The children persevered and continued to go to school and the parents did the same to rebuild the school house. ( )
  mfurth1 | Mar 10, 2016 |
For Lizzie and her brother, Emancipation means education though going to school means two less pairs of hands to help on the family's small farm. A poignant look at a freed African American family beginning a new chapter of life. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
Five stars! This historical fiction picture book reminded me of the many things we take for granted. A school, blackboards, writing and reading were a true treasure to Lizzy and her family. I can't wait to utilize this text with my second grade students. "But scraps of learning don't amount to much - they just made me hungry for more." I intend to use this line from the text to begin a classroom discussion about things we are "hungry" to learn more about. I think that students will gain a deeper understanding of the struggles African Americans faced during the times of slavery. ( )
  kdjones9 | Feb 26, 2015 |

Hungry for learning, Lizzie and her brother Paul attend a new school built for freed slaves.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,513,734 books! | Top bar: Always visible