Daisy's Back in Town by Rachel Gibson

Daisy's Back in Town (original 2004; edition 2012)

by Rachel Gibson (Author)

Member:koalalover
Title:Daisy's Back in Town
Authors:Rachel Gibson (Author)
Info:Avon (2012), Edition: Reprint, Kindle Edition, 370 pages
Collections:Your library, Kindle
Rating:***
Tags:contemporary, romance, chic lit, read in 2012, Daisy Lee Monroe & Jack Parrish, read in 2013

Daisy's Back in Town by Rachel Gibson (2004)

Very good, fell in love with all the characters. ( )
  Talaskat | Oct 8, 2013 |
This is a hard novel to read at times. The secret baby plot is a lot harder to swallow here, because the baby in question isn't really a baby - he's 15. For me, it's easy to forgive and forget when the heroine doesn't tell the hero right away about a baby, but only if it's cleared up early on. It's a lot harder to justify after 15 years of silence.

I remember having an argument with a friend about Daisy's actions several years ago. She couldn't accept that Daisy had kept her son a secret for so long. I, on the other hand, understood Daisy's reasons for not telling him in the beginning. I also understood how the longer she went without telling, the easier it was not to. I can't say I agree with it or condone it, but I understand.

On the night of Jack's parent's funeral, Daisy and Steven confronted him to tell him they'd gotten married - leaving out the part about the baby.

15 years go by. Steven dies and Daisy realizes she must tell Jack the truth about their son. She goes back to Lovett, TX (her hometown, where Jack still lives) to tell Jack the news, leaving Nathan (her son) behind in Seattle. All along Daisy always thought she did the right thing by not telling Jack, something Steven always fed into. But once she's back she realizes she made a mistake - that she robbed both Jack and Nathan of a relationship.

I think one of the reasons this works for me is that Daisy realizes she made a mistake and tries her best to make it right. She doesn't let Jack run all over her, but she understands his anger.

Jack is one of those over-the-top alphas who oozes sexual menace. While that can be off-putting in a lot of ways, it really worked here. I can't exactly say why it worked, but it did. His anger at Daisy is completely and totally justified, as is his anger at Steven. When he realizes the enormity of their betrayal..well, my heart broke for him. Not only did he lose the woman he loved and his son, but he lost his best friends as well.

Watching Daisy and Jack move forward with their lives and come back together was really hard at times. I wanted them to work things out, but I wasn't sure how Jack could let go of his anger. I worried that the resolution would come too easily, or that the true conflict would be brushed aside. But that wasn't the case. Gibson did a credible job of showing us how that anger can eat at a person.

Although parts of this novel are tough to get through, it's well worth reading. The characters individual struggles and hardships just make them that much more rounded and believable. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
I just love Rachel Gibson! ( )
  KrisinKW | Jan 23, 2013 |
I have now read five of Rachel Gibson's books and I have not found one I didn't like. They are light, fast reads with enough sexual tension to keep the readers intrested. The more books of her that I read the more I realize that the characters especially the males are basically the same man. They speak the same they think the same they act the same.I like them but a little variation wouldn't hurt. As for the plot. I found it well developed and Jack's reaction to learning he had a fifteen year old son totally realistic. In some books the characters just end up in love in this book the reader can see the love of these two people in thier actions. I would recommend any of her books especially Tangled Up in You. ( )
  Jaitai16 | Sep 7, 2010 |
I just reread this for maybe the third or fourth time, and I realized I really, really like this book. I like all the characters involved: Daisy is realistic and easy to relate to; Jack is yumminess in cowboy boots, Nathan has wonderful potential, and everyone else is crazily entertaining. Moreover, the plot is intriguing and carried out nicely. There's humor, drama, and a good amount of sexy sizzle. I do wish some of the angst between Jack and Daisy had been developed a tad more ... but then that would probably lose the light and fun tone that underlies all of Gibson's books -- you know, the sense that there'll be a Happily Ever After at the end of it all. So if you're in the mood for something fun and romantic, I would definitely recommend this book. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Mar 11, 2010 |

Rachel Gibsonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hartmann, ElisabethÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006000925X, Mass Market Paperback)

Daisy Lee Monroe thought she'd brushed the dust of Lovett, Texas, off her high-heeled shoes years ago, but she's come back home only to find that little has changed. Her sister is still crazy, and her mom still has pink plastic flamingos in her front yard. And Jackson Lamott Parrish, the bad boy she'd left behind, is still so sexy it hurts. She'd like nothing better than to avoid this particular man, but she can't. Daisy has something to say to Jackson, and she's not going anywhere until he listens.

Jackson learned his lesson about Daisy the hard way, and now the only word he's interested in hearing from Daisy's red lips is good-bye. But she's popping up everywhere, and he doesn't believe in coincidence. It seems the only way to keep her quiet is with his mouth, but kissing Daisy had once been his downfall. Is he strong enough to resist her now? Strong enough to watch her walk out of his life again? Is he strong enough to make her stay?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:51:34 -0400)

Former cheerleader Daisy Lee Monroe returns to her hometown of Lovett, Texas, and to her offbeat family, and is reunitied with gorgeous bad boy Jackson Lamott Parrish, the man she had left behind.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,337,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible