Triumph: Collected Stories of Gone Girls and…

Triumph: Collected Stories of Gone Girls and Complicated Women

by Lizzie Harwood

I guess this book was not really my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of gone girls, floating and flitting, being a "free spirit". I feel it's degrading to womankind in general. Better to be alone for the right reason than with someone for the wrong. But then that's my opinion. No doubt the stories were well written and creative, the writing imaginative and full of expression. Maybe if the subject matter was more to my liking I could appreciate it more. ( )
  Ash_P | Feb 23, 2015 |
I was given a copy for an honest review.

Honestly, there isn't much "Gone Girl" suspense in this collection of stories. Most are outright boring, and the few suspenseful ones are told with detachment. ( )
  lesindy | Feb 15, 2015 |
This book is a collection of short stories. Different women but their point of views. What I loved about this book about this book is how the author went from voice to voice - a young girl, psychopath, a young woman lost, a self-absorbed woman, a younger mom, an older mom I was fascinated by each story. ( )
  Mindi25 | Feb 12, 2015 |
Triumph is a collection of stories where the characters are not always likeable, but they appear in full colour realness, which is something only a seasoned writer can pull off. What impresses me the most about this book is how seamlessly the author is able to go from voice to voice - a young girl, a psychopath, a young woman lost in addiction, a self-absorbed woman, a younger mom, an older mom whose children do her no credit. I got sucked into each story, and found myself cheering when the character managed to pull through (something that happened less often than this "happy ending gal" would have liked).

I give this book five stars for the magnificent writing. ( )
  JennieGoutet | Feb 9, 2015 |
I received a review copy through 'Member Giveaway'.

A well written and edited collection of vignettes about, and narrated by, women (of all ages) in challenging circumstances - none of them are trafficked, kidnapped, runaways, or otherwise missing which is the only use of the term Gone Girl I had encountered before, here it seems to mean girls deviating in some way from the perceived cultural norm.

Some of the pieces standalone, others are snapshots from within the same family or social grouping. The connections can be a little jarring, particularly when Faye's family are suddenly in Canada in one tale rather than New Zealand where we have always seen them.

I found the descriptive passages and world building accomplished pieces of prose. The voices of the narrators were distinct and clear, although I would be glad to never meet any of these characters in real life. The actual content of the tales and the bundling of them together within one volume felt a little forced.

Good writing but a disappointing read. ( )
  Biscuitoria | Jan 30, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lizzie Harwood's book Triumph: Collected Stories of Gone Girls and Complicated Women was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Lizzie Harwood is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,603,574 books! | Top bar: Always visible