Edge of Dreams by Diana Pharaoh Francis

*Warning: Includes Spoilers for Book One, TRACE OF MAGIC*

One of the things I really disliked in TRACE OF MAGIC was that it ended with Riley and Clay apart. I didn't like it, it didn't feel right, so I am really glad that they were back together again not long after EDGE OF DREAMS started.

I loved all the answers we got about not only Riley, but her past. She learned a lot about herself, was able to really open up to Clay and her other allies and heard some truths that weren't easy to hear. The ending? WOW, cliffhanger, but it sure makes me want to get my hands on book three!

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Apr 29, 2015 |
This second book in the Diamond City Magic urban fantasy series was an action-packed adventure. It begins shortly after the events of Trace of Magic. Riley is still trying to get used to the idea that her talents have been outed to the Tyet. She isn't quite used to the idea that many of them want to use her or kill her. She has broken it off with Clay Price because of his close ties with his brother who is a powerful Tyet leader. But she misses him dreadfully and is still completely in love with him.

We catch up with Riley when she takes the case brought to her by a police officer who wants her to track down her nephew who gone down into the mines and hasn't returned. Riley can't resist taking the case despite her claustrophobia because she always is willing to help kids in trouble. She recruits her brother Leo and the bodyguards that she spends most of her time dodging and off they go. It isn't long before Riley learns that it is a trap.

Riley is captured by a major villain named Percy Caldwell who is busy making Sparkle Dust - the latest highly addictive drug. He tortures her and tries to addict her to the Dust but she uses her magic to escape addiction. She also finds a way to escape and is determined to capture Percy and end his plans. To do this, she contacts Clay and his brother for assistance.

I really like the relationship between Clay and Riley. They are both strong, smart people. Riley's trust issues are the main factor keeping them apart, though his really scary brother might have something to do with it too. Riley learns some new things about her talent and she learns some things about the father who disappeared when she was young. These revelations help her understand where this lack of trust is coming from.

While the ending of this story isn't a cliff hanger, it does end on a "startling revelation." I can't wait for the next book to see what happens, ( )
  kmartin802 | Apr 18, 2015 |

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. And a pound of flesh. Magical tracking expert Riley Hollis is on a mission to save five teenagers lost inside a mountain. But nothing is what it seems, and soon Riley finds herself bruised, bloodied, and embroiled in a battle to bring down a sadistic criminal dealing in human souls and the darkest of magics. Her only hope may be to swallow her pride and ask for help from her not-quite-ex-boyfriend and his notorious brother-Tyet criminal boss, Gregg Touray. Even that may not be enough to protect her. Something has gone very wrong in the trace dimension and in Riley's head. If she doesn't figure out how to handle the past, the present, the trace, and the bad guys, the road to hell is going to look like a great alternative.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,432,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible