The Age of Earthquakes: A Guide to the…

The Age of Earthquakes: A Guide to the Extreme Present

by Douglas Coupland, Shumon Basar, Hans Ulrich Obrist

For those of us who manage to find the time (and a space filled with solitude) to carefully ponder the world around us through a printed page, know the feeling of uneasiness that we feel for the present world. Things are changing. Our minds are changing. Our feelings are changing. But how? Reading and pondering The Age of Earthquakes: A Guide to the Extreme Present may be that starting point for a discussion on our changing society.

http://tinyurl.com/pdd5wmn ( )
  steven.buechler | Dec 4, 2015 |
This is a difficult book to describe. You can read it in an hour or so. Most of the pages have fewer than 50 words. Many of them have definitions of new words, usually a combination of old words made into something dystopian. The book leaves you with the uncomfortable feeling that all is not right in the world. Then you realize – so what else is new?

It really means that Alvin Toffler’s Future Shock of fifty years ago has finally arrived. Things are moving so fast we can’t adjust and accommodate. Even if we tried, the world would have moved on to something else before we got anywhere. So confusion and lack of direction reign.

The words on the page are a cross between a Steven Wright one liner and a Haiku for millennials:
-It turns out computer games merely teach you how to play other computer games.
-A one way trip to Mars would be okay if it had smoking-hot wifi.
-What if there were a drug that made you feel more like yourself?

As you would expect from the co-authors, most of the references are to the internet. The memes are multiple choice dropdowns, fill-in boxes, and radio buttons. That is the normal frame of reference for people who have grown up with the internet always available. Reading The Age of Earthquakes is like living an episode of Black Mirror. It’s all very realistic, very possible, and very downbeat. It’s an emotional warning.

David Wineberg ( )
  DavidWineberg | Jan 15, 2015 |

Douglas Couplandprimary authorall editionscalculated
Basar, Shumonmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Obrist, Hans Ulrichmain authorall editionsconfirmed

A highly provocative, mindbending, beautifully designed, and visionary look at the landscape of our rapidly evolving digital era.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:11 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,951,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible