Occam's Razor by MissAnnThropic

Occam's Razor

by MissAnnThropic

222,551,640 (4)None
Recently added byMrsKnightley, DreZ
fanfic (1) m-m (1) paranormal (1) sterek (1)

I was expecting a very sad, maybe dark fic when I picked this up. I must have missed something, because this isn't dark at all and honestly I didn't find it sad or even melancholy either. I guess I interpreted some things in a different light.

Stiles wakes up in bed with Derek Hale. And begins to piece together that though he had gone to sleep a 17 year old studying for a chemistry exam - post nogitsune, he is now seven years in the future and married to Derek Hale. He is trying to piece together what has happened since he doesn't have any memories of the last seven years. The theories being thrown out are: he is in an alternate universe and AU Stiles is the one married to Derek, he has time travelled somehow or he really does have amnesia.

For some reason he refuses to believe he has amnesia (which is the Occam's Razor winner, since it is the simplest). I have no idea why Stiles is so reluctant in this fic to believe he has amnesia when it is what fits the most. I can attest that if I went to bed one night and woke up the next morning seven years in the future married to Derek Hale/ Tyler Hoechlin - I'd go with it. Amensia, time travel, AU - whatever, I would roll with it right onto Derek. Why fight something like that, seriously? At any rate, a good chunk of the fic is centered around Stiles, Derek and the Sheriff trying to figure out what's up with Stiles. But he finally comes to the conclusion that he loves his 24 year old life and being married to Derek Hale and decides to go with it.

This is a spoilerish part (though I feel it was quite obvious where the author was taking this, but I am going to tag it anyways to be fair): the latter quarter(?) or so of the book is Stiles back as his 17 year old self, but with all the memories of his 24 year old self and he does some things he is worried about having a "butterfly effect" that could mess up things for his 24 year old self - though I doubt the things he does will. The author leaves the ending open, but hopeful that Stiles will live in a manner that will get him back to his 24 year old self and married to Derek.

It wasn't a bad read, it was interesting, but not compelling. I very easily could put the book down when real life demanded, but I was still happy picking it back up when I had a few quiet moments. What I really wanted to read though, was Stiles' missing memories - how he and Derek got together, their road trip, the forming of their relationship after the nogitsune. I had thought that that was where the author was going to bring us back to and let us read. But no, it kind of just ended on an open note, alluding to things leading in that direction.

I would encourage the author to write a companion piece to this of those missing seven years - that was more what I had wanted to read, not so much the mystery around them.

Best line:

"Alice in Wonderland would trip balls on that shit, because who gave a fuck about rabbits and hatters when the shit he'd been roofied with caused one to wake up naked in bed with a werewolf?"

MrsKnightley | Oct 16, 2017 |
3.5 stars. I enjoyed most of this story, but Stiles holding back got old after a while. If the story was a bit shorter, I think it would have been a fave of mine. And while the ending was a little frustrating because it's not spelled out, I loved it!

DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,396,459 books! | Top bar: Always visible