Prickskytten by Lee Child

Prickskytten (original 2005; edition 2008)

by Lee Child (Author), Anders Bellis (Translator)

Member:petrahogkvist
Title:Prickskytten
Authors:Lee Child (Author)
Other authors:Anders Bellis (Translator)
Info:Damm förlag
Rating:***
Tags:Jack Reacher

One Shot by Lee Child (2005)

English (70)  Dutch (3)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (75)
Film was pretty close if a little more full of explosions, lol. The book ending was much more realistic and as I'd forgotten the film I'd also forgotten who the government bad person was. I really thought it was the one that turned out to not be... ( )
  libgirl69 | Oct 4, 2018 |
Six shots. Five dead. One heartland city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case. Except for one thing. The accused man says: You got the wrong guy. Then he says: Get Reacher for me. And sure enough, from the world he lives in—no phone, no address, no commitments–ex–military investigator Jack Reacher is coming. In Lee Child’s astonishing new thriller, Reacher’s arrival will change everything—about a case that isn’t what it seems, about lives tangled in baffling ways, about a killer who missed one shot–and by doing so give Jack Reacher one shot at the truth.…

The gunman worked from a parking structure just thirty yards away–point-blank range for a trained military sniper like James Barr. His victims were in the wrong place at the wrong time. But why does Barr want Reacher at his side? There are good reasons why Reacher is the last person Barr would want to see. But when Reacher hears Barr’s own words, he understands. And a slam-dunk case explodes. Soon Reacher is teamed with a young defense lawyer who is working against her D.A. father and dueling with a prosecution team that has an explosive secret of its own. Like most things Reacher has known in life, this case is a complex battlefield. But, as always, in battle, Reacher is at his best.

JESGalway | Sep 17, 2018 |
This was the first Jack Reacher book I've read, but it won't be my last. I found "One Shot" to be an easy read, a good crime-thriller and a fast-paced page turner. Although not high literature, it was certainly entertaining and had me hooked from the start. I liked Jack Reacher. He wasn't perfect, but he was tough and smart with a touch of vulnerability, and I enjoyed following his systematic destruction of the DA's foolproof case. I can honestly say that I am now a Jack Reacher fan, and am off to find another of his books. ( )
  HeatherLINC | May 10, 2018 |
Great Reacher novel. I hear that Tom Cruise is trying to get the part in the movie. He would completely suck as Reacher. Hope it doesn't happen. ( )
  CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |
Synopsis: Jack Reacher left the army and has no phone, no address, no connections. He drifts from town to town going across America, and finds himself in situations where his military investigative (MP) past is put to good use. In the ninth installment, Reacher is contacted, albeit in a roundabout way, by former Army Sniper James Barr. Barr has been accused of firing six shots and killing five people, and the case against Barr seems to be a slam dunk. Enter Reacher.

This was a recent movie starring Tom Cruise as Reacher. I didn't see the movie, but after reading the book, I can't picture Cruise as Reacher. Reacher is supposed to be 6'5", between 220-250 pds with a 50" chest and a 37" inseam - and all muscle. This is NOT a short, small, or flabby man. I'm not sure what actor would fit the bill, but in my book, Cruise, no matter how awesome Top Gun was, does not come close. Mainly because Reacher's height and size is critical to the action in many of the stories. But make your own judgements on the book-to-movie and chosen actors.

Who should read: mystery lovers and anyone who like a down and dirty, fast-paced mystery with just enough action to keep it exciting.

Why I like it: The best thing about this series (there are currently 18) is that you don't have to read them in order. I went from the first one, Killing Floor, to this one and had no problems picking it up. While Reacher is in different places in each book (he's an admitted drifter), his movements are really secondary to the action.

The writing is very concise and hard-biting. Reacher is a very believable former Army MP. The action is very fast paced and the mystery has plenty of twists and turns. Are there some implausible coincidences? Sure, but nothing that makes your suspend your beliefs or nothing that goes against the laws of science. The coincidences are more characters who knew each other when just happening to meet again. This book is hard to put down because you keep wanting to turn the page to see what will happen next. Overall, a solid and fast-paced read. ( )
  wanderinglynn | Mar 22, 2018 |

Lee Childprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hill, DickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Maggie Griffin
Jack Reacher's first and best friend in America
Friday. Five o'clock in the afternoon.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241022, Mass Market Paperback)

Moving in the shadows, picking his spots, Reacher gets closer and closer to the unseen enemy who is pulling the strings. And for Reacher, the only way to take him down is to know his ruthlessness and respect his cunning–and then match him shot for shot….

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:35 -0400)

Ex-military investigator Jack Reacher is called in by James Barr, a man accused of a lethal sniper attack that leaves five people dead, and teams up with a young defense attorney to find an unseen enemy who is manipulating events.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,398,950 books! | Top bar: Always visible