A Life Less Ordinary by Jebiwonkenobi

A Life Less Ordinary

by Jebiwonkenobi

322,001,085 (4.33)None

So here's the deal: not every Sterek fan will like this, but this, this is my kind of Sterek. And Jebiwonkenobi is simply my kind of author. This is a quirky, quirky story. So you are going to have to like quirky.

All that this is, is five different snippets of interaction between Derek and Stiles. It is very much in the vein of 500 Days of Summer in the sense that you don't know where in the timeline each vignette takes place (how close together these moments are - though clearly they are in chronological order).

At any rate, there are only five snippets, but SO SO MUCH is conveyed in these five moments! Possibly the best characterization of Derek I have read. And Stiles is spot on - angsty, intelligent, self aware, and comical. There is a very quiet, subtle feeling to this fic. And the longing, the longing! The denial. The feels. I had this feeling while reading it of both them trying to grab on to each other, but grappling at air and then when they finally grasp on, this overwhelming calmness. There is so much conveyed in what goes unsaid in this fic. Probably the saddest, "I love you's" I have ever read and yet the most heartfelt banter is what conveys their connection.

And though this fic has this sad struggling feel to it, the dry humor is comical, but reserved enough so that it isn't silly. There is irony to smirk at and cry about at the same time. I loved the giant and I loved the ghost. The story telling is beautiful.

All graphic sex takes place off page - and I didn't miss it once. This fic was too potent in its feels to be off tracked by detailed sex. And I loved that the climax of the story wasn't with them having sex, but with them connecting on a much deeper level. It felt more authentic to the flow of a relationship. No sexual scenes, but every moment was sensual. Nothing was romanticized, but every moment was intimate.

This is a quiet study of the progression of a relationship from reluctant allies to platonic allies to sexual interests to loving partners.

I know I am babbling in the afterglow of this fic - it is just ... yeah, yeah I don't know what else to say. I felt Stiles' longing and heartbreak and last ditch effort boldness. I felt Derek's self deprecation and vulnerability and humanity. I felt a lot from this.

And if you loved this, but do want some NC-17 bits, try [b:In Quiet, A Favor|25381801|In Quiet, A Favor|Helenish|https://s.gr-assets.com/assets/nophoto/book/50x75-a91bf249278a81aabab721ef782c4a74.png|45130827], which is in the same vein, but more of the "adult" version. ( )
  MrsKnightley | Oct 16, 2017 |
This one had a little angst and humor at the end, which I loved, but including giants was just kind of weird. ( )
  DreZ | Jan 15, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,842,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible