Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

5,126None870 (3.79)56
Member:msdana
Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

(12) adult (10) audio (12) audiobook (19) British (45) British literature (12) chick lit (533) comedy (34) contemporary (26) contemporary fiction (10) ebook (18) England (40) favorite (10) fiction (280) funny (26) girly (13) humor (134) library (11) London (19) love (21) novel (13) own (33) read (74) relationships (17) romance (138) romantic comedy (17) secrets (37) sophie kinsella (37) to-read (52) unread (11)
    Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (122)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (126)
Cute, as Kinsella's books always are, but not as enjoyable to me as the Shopaholic series. I can't really put my finger on why. Lissie is a more likeable heroine. Her situation is very readable. I DID like the book. It just wasn't as wonderful as I expect a Kinsella book to be.

I'm sure it's just me ( )
  wareagle78 | Feb 8, 2014 |
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of Panther Corporations must be in want of a "nothing special" girl."

“I've always had this deep-down conviction that I'm not like everybody else, and there's an amazingly exciting new life waiting for me just around the corner.”

Goal: Give Sophie Kinsella another chance.

Result: Laugh my ass off.

Overall Goal: To Be Impressed.

Overall Result: Blown away by sheer wittiness.

This book is what made me hooked to chicklit in the first place. Nothing I've ever read in this genre has measured up to Can You Keep A Secret, it was PERFECT. I've read this book a gazillion times, and it still makes me laugh until my sides split. Every time.
A lot of people (okay, none) agree with me, but this is Kinsella's best book. It's better than the shopaholic series. I didn't like the shopaholic series. At all. I mean, halfway through the first book I wanted to strangle Becky. Confessions of A Shopaholic was one of those books I wanted to like more than I did. But I still forced myself to read the second book, and it still wasn't doing anything for me. I mean, sure, the books were funny, but the whole thing was kind of meh. I liked the movie a lot better.
Sophie Kinsella writes better novels than sequels. ( )
1 vote potterhead9.75 | Jan 5, 2014 |
I absolutely loved this story of a woman who unexpectedly spills all her closest secrets to a man on a plane who then turns out to be the new uber-boss - but to tell the truth you can't really go wrong with a Kinsella, can you?

It's an utterly charming page-turner, and it was wonderful to see the main character blossom and grow through the quirky challenges she has to face. A delightful and very amusing page-turner all round. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Nov 21, 2013 |
Emma is a likable heroine - basically good-hearted, not much good at saying what she really thinks from a mixture of not wanting to hurt others or being hurt herself. Through a fluke she ends up letting her guard down and discovering that a little frankness can do a world of good. Fun reading. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Oct 7, 2013 |
Emma is working as an assistant in a big company. She is desperate for a promotion to be for once in her life successful and not always be second-best to her cousin Kerry. However, she makes a mess out of what she sees as her chance for a promotion. On her way home on the plane she tells a total stranger all her secrets. Of course the stranger doesn't stay a stranger for long and Emma is shocked when she realizes that he is an important person in the company in which Emma works.

This isn't a demanding book and actually you can predict most of what is going to happen. But it is an enjoyable quick read for in-between those more demanding books which take at least a week to read. I finished this in about two days.

Emma is a normal, "nothing-special" girl. She has a Barbie bedspread, isn't too honest about her clothes size and wants nothing more than to succeed in life. In this she was actually believable and likeable (I found Becky Bloomwood sometimes a bit extreme in Kinsella's Shopaholic books).

Of course a romance ensues during the book, Emma has to deal with the problems created by her boss knowing all of her secrets and I'll tell nobody a secret when I say that it all ends in a happy ending, but that's the purpose of such a book, isn't it?

A wonderful quick read. ( )
  Zurpel | Sep 22, 2013 |
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets. Secrets from her mother: 1 - I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mun and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur. From her boyfriend: 2 - I'm a size twelve. not a size eight, like connor thinks. 3 - I've always thought connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. From her colleagues: 4 - When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day). 5 - It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: 6 - My G string is hurting me. 7 - I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8 - I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is... ... Until she spills them to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stanger...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241901, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:37 -0400)

After the worst day of her life, Emma Corrigan spills her darkest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, but when he re-emerges in her life, she will have to face the things she said to him, and her growing feelings for him.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,478,897 books! | Top bar: Always visible