Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

Recently added byClairmatthews, LacyLK, KatDes, Bookish.ae, eduzzi, private library
    Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meggin Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (131)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (135)
The thought of sharing all your secrets to a complete stranger seems enticing after I read the book. Its the feel good kind of book. The type that can be made into a movie.
But after reading few of Sophie Kinsella's books it just too monotonous. same kind of story line all over! ( )
  bookandink | Aug 19, 2015 |
Several people recommended Sophie Kinsella's book, basically because of her sense of humor. I won't deny that this book does have funny parts without really needing to try too hard. When I picked this book for my weekly reading, I had relatively high expectations for it and when I started to read, I really WANTED to like this book. But alas, it is so wrong in several aspects that, at a certain point, I actually felt offended.
First of all, if you're not into romantic comedies that involve a regular everyday girl and a millionaire, handsome, powerful guy, this book is not for you and gods hear my laments, it was DEFINITELY not for me. I'm not the biggest fan of the archetype "rich, handsome, perfect guy with a dark secret" because I find it very tiring and not fun to follow up with. It feels... very unrealistic.
Second, if you're not into stories with your "regular, everyday, compulsive liar girl", this book is also not for you and I really wish I knew it beforehand that the main character was going to be like this. I personally don't care about characters who don't have a strong personality, their own voice and their own opinions. There are people and characters like that and I understand that some people enjoy this kind of thing. I HATE it.
So, join two character archetypes that I strongly dislike and put them in a mundane situation full of venomous people and you're giving me the recipe for disaster.
The situations the main character Emma Corrigan has to face would be easily solved if she had more attitude, and when a story anchors on a character's weakness and her lack of will to actually do something to solve the problems, I have a really hard time enjoying it. This gets aggravated when said character does not realize that they have a problem and take no initiative to change the situation.
Another thing that bothered me quite a bit during this book: NO means NO. When a person wants to say yes, THEY SAY YES. And in this book, EVERY. SINGLE. CHARACTER simply does not know how to take NO for an answer, which is bad enough without a weak protagonist.
I really disliked this book and if Kinsella's other books follow the same trend, I don't intend to pick up any of them. But hey, if you enjoy chick-lits, you might enjoy this book. ( )
  aryadeschain | Jul 24, 2015 |
I will confess: I am a fan of chick lit. Chick lit is one of those guilty pleasures that I love reading curled up on my bed while it’s raining outside. That being said, Sophie Kinsella’s Can You Keep a Secret? is a chick lit book that you should read.

As with any Sophie Kinsella book, the premise is usually really difficult to wrap your head around. This book is no different: Emma, after having one too many drinks, finds herself confessing all of her secrets to a mysterious and attractive stranger that sits next to her on a plane back home. Suddenly he appears at her office and things are just horrible all around.

The fact that Kinsella managed to write such a hilarious book while still dealing with tough issues was wonderful.

Emma was the protagonist and I loved her. She was such a blabbermouth. She tried not to spill secrets but ended up ruining it even more. I love the fact that her thoughts are all over the place while we’re reading. It made the story all the more hilarious.

“Oh God. I'm losing it. Everyone knows this is how criminals get caught. They add too many details and trip themselves up.”

The fact that Emma spilled each and every one of her secrets to none other than her boss is more than enough for me to disappear from the face of the earth. But Emma stands strong! Although mortified, she decides not to let this affect her (all that much).

Jack is a wonderful and hilarious male protagonist. He was so cute and shy even if he already knew everything about Emma! I like how he could poke fun at her without being mean.

Speaking of, this book is HILARIOUS. I think the fact that Emma doesn’t know how to keep a secret attributes to this. Even when she’s being serious, something else would happen and I’d end up laughing all over again.

I love the way that the different subplots of this book were worked with, and I think that the book had a really great resolution (even if I secretly wish for more).

My only grief with the book was the fact that Jack and Emma didn’t have as much chemistry as I would’ve liked. There’s still chemistry there, trust me, but not as much as in I’ve Got Your Number, for example.

Overall, Can You Keep a Secret? is a chick-lit book filled with humor, romance, and secrets (lots and lots of secrets). Definitely pick this up for when you need a light book that’ll capture your attention for a while.

“Is your life ruined? Is it such a disaster for people to know the truth about you?” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
This book was hilarious. The basic idea is, imagine what would happen if in a moment of panic you were to spill all your darkest secrets to a perfect stranger and of course that stranger was extremely attractive and turned out to be a new big shot at your company, genius uh?
When Emma spills it all out it makes you want to cover your eyes with your hands and tell her:

The fun, as always with Kinsella standalone novels, is guaranteed and the romance is just witty and cute.
The cousin was so bad!!! In the final retribution moment I was yeah! I actually pictured myself kicking her in the derriere a couple of times!!
  SaraRomanceLove | May 8, 2015 |
From the 3-4 Kinsella novels I've read, this may be the strongest.

Once I got over some inaccuracies about airport & airline procedures in Chapter 1, the rest was credible and thoroughly enjoyable (in contrast to the more recent Wedding Night, which, frankly, stretched belief). A couple of scenes, notably the picnic at which Emma's family show up, had me laughing aloud. Kinsella did a truly thorough job of creating Emma's character and I did like the minor role of her grandfather, too. The underlying theme of the dangers of sharing both too much or too little of ourselves with others was nicely done.

One request of the author: a spin-off story starring Jemima, who is a hilarious character, obsessed with getting a rock on her finger and following her mother's questionable methods, would be terrific. Lots of room for character growth here ;) ( )
  paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
Emma (± 21) werkt in Londen als marketing-assistente bij Panther NV, wat haar familie te min vindt, zodat ze haar werk aandikt. Ook tegen haar nieuwe vriend, de knappe maar saaie Connor, maakt ze dingen mooier. Als tijdens een zakenreisje haar vliegtuig in turbulentie terechtkomt, raakt ze in paniek en biecht haar onbekende buurman haar geheimen op. Bij aankomst is ze zo in de war dat ze Connors voorstel om samen te wonen accepteert. Haar biechtvader blijkt echter Jack, haar hoogste baas te zijn die alles heeft onthouden wat ze zei en belangstelling voor haar heeft. [...]. Van de Engelse financieel journaliste verschenen enkele bestsellers. Ook deze luchtige roman, die vooral werkende jonge vrouwen van ± 18 tot 32 zal aanspreken, leest lekker weg. Een herkenbaar verhaal, waarin heel veel in hoog tempo gebeurt, met vaak komische misverstanden, romantiek en veel Engelse humor.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Madelon de Swart

Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaöVers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets. Secrets from her mother: 1 - I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mun and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur. From her boyfriend: 2 - I'm a size twelve. not a size eight, like connor thinks. 3 - I've always thought connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. From her colleagues: 4 - When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day). 5 - It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: 6 - My G string is hurting me. 7 - I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8 - I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is... ... Until she spills them to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stanger...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241901, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

After the worst day of her life, Emma Corrigan spills her darkest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, but when he re-emerges in her life, she will have to face the things she said to him, and her growing feelings for him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,894,578 books! | Top bar: Always visible