Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Member:msdana
Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meggin Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (129)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (133)
I will confess: I am a fan of chick lit. Chick lit is one of those guilty pleasures that I love reading curled up on my bed while it’s raining outside. That being said, Sophie Kinsella’s Can You Keep a Secret? is a chick lit book that you should read.

As with any Sophie Kinsella book, the premise is usually really difficult to wrap your head around. This book is no different: Emma, after having one too many drinks, finds herself confessing all of her secrets to a mysterious and attractive stranger that sits next to her on a plane back home. Suddenly he appears at her office and things are just horrible all around.

The fact that Kinsella managed to write such a hilarious book while still dealing with tough issues was wonderful.

Emma was the protagonist and I loved her. She was such a blabbermouth. She tried not to spill secrets but ended up ruining it even more. I love the fact that her thoughts are all over the place while we’re reading. It made the story all the more hilarious.

“Oh God. I'm losing it. Everyone knows this is how criminals get caught. They add too many details and trip themselves up.”

The fact that Emma spilled each and every one of her secrets to none other than her boss is more than enough for me to disappear from the face of the earth. But Emma stands strong! Although mortified, she decides not to let this affect her (all that much).

Jack is a wonderful and hilarious male protagonist. He was so cute and shy even if he already knew everything about Emma! I like how he could poke fun at her without being mean.

Speaking of, this book is HILARIOUS. I think the fact that Emma doesn’t know how to keep a secret attributes to this. Even when she’s being serious, something else would happen and I’d end up laughing all over again.

I love the way that the different subplots of this book were worked with, and I think that the book had a really great resolution (even if I secretly wish for more).

My only grief with the book was the fact that Jack and Emma didn’t have as much chemistry as I would’ve liked. There’s still chemistry there, trust me, but not as much as in I’ve Got Your Number, for example.

Overall, Can You Keep a Secret? is a chick-lit book filled with humor, romance, and secrets (lots and lots of secrets). Definitely pick this up for when you need a light book that’ll capture your attention for a while.

“Is your life ruined? Is it such a disaster for people to know the truth about you?” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 19, 2015 |
This book was hilarious. The basic idea is, imagine what would happen if in a moment of panic you were to spill all your darkest secrets to a perfect stranger and of course that stranger was extremely attractive and turned out to be a new big shot at your company, genius uh?
When Emma spills it all out it makes you want to cover your eyes with your hands and tell her:

The fun, as always with Kinsella standalone novels, is guaranteed and the romance is just witty and cute.
The cousin was so bad!!! In the final retribution moment I was yeah! I actually pictured myself kicking her in the derriere a couple of times!!
  SaraRomanceLove | May 8, 2015 |
From the 3-4 Kinsella novels I've read, this may be the strongest.

Once I got over some inaccuracies about airport & airline procedures in Chapter 1, the rest was credible and thoroughly enjoyable (in contrast to the more recent Wedding Night, which, frankly, stretched belief). A couple of scenes, notably the picnic at which Emma's family show up, had me laughing aloud. Kinsella did a truly thorough job of creating Emma's character and I did like the minor role of her grandfather, too. The underlying theme of the dangers of sharing both too much or too little of ourselves with others was nicely done.

One request of the author: a spin-off story starring Jemima, who is a hilarious character, obsessed with getting a rock on her finger and following her mother's questionable methods, would be terrific. Lots of room for character growth here ;) ( )
  paulinewiles | Jan 26, 2015 |
Read reviews and more at The Beautiful World of Books!

Everyone has a secret. It's completely normal I'm sure I don't have any more than anybody else. I'm not talking big, earth-shattering secrets. Not the-president-is-planning-to-bomb-Japan-and-only-Will-Smith-can-save-the-world type secrets. Just normal, everyday little secrets.

And when she believes she's about to die on a very turbulent plane ride, Emma Corrigan begins spilling all those tiny, nonsense secrets to her very handsome seat partner. Before she knows it, she's told a virtual stranger everything she's been keeping a secret for years and years:

"I'm sorry," I say awkwardly. "You should have stopped me."
"That would have been a little difficult." There's a tiny smile at his lips. "You were on a bit of a roll."
"I'm so embarrassed!" I try to smile, but I can't even look this guy in the eye. I mean, I told him about my knickers. I told him about my G spot.

Needless to say, Emma cannot WAIT to get away from this pretty, mysterious stranger on a pla--

*whispers in ear*

What's that?

*whisper*

*eyes widen* Oh, good Lord.

You see, I've been informed that the stranger on the plane isn't actually a stranger. In fact...

Everyone's attention is focused on some other guy. A guy in jeans and a black turtleneck who's walking out now.
As I stare in fascination, he turns. And as I see his face I fell an almighty thud, as though a bowling ball's landed hard in my chest.
Oh my God.
It's him.
It's the man from the plane.

His name is Jack Harper and he just happens to be the co-founder of Panther Corporation, and he's come to visit.

And he remembers Emma from the plane and all the secrets she decided to spill that fateful day.

This book was hilarious. For the first time in a long while, I found myself awake at 3am, speeding through this little gem, and when I finally finished it and got ready to sleep, I had a huge grin on my face and my brain was doing cartwheels.

It's my first Kinsella book and I am SO glad I lost my Kinsella V-card with [b:Can You Keep a Secret|33724|Can You Keep a Secret?|Sophie Kinsella|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1330464293s/33724.jpg|2888997] I'd been dying to read something of hers for a while, ever since I watched Confessions of a Shopaholic years and years ago. The mixed reviews put me off, though, and I only stumbled upon this book as a Kindle Deal.

I know right?! It was fate!

I love the family relationships, how Emma handles her relationship and how Jack Harper can be so odd. He's such a laugh and I believe every lady needs a Harper in their life.

5/5 stars! ( )
  Aly_Locatelli | Jan 26, 2015 |
I know, I know, it's chick lit. But it's a nice way to escape from life, and the jokes were pretty funny. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |

Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaöVers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets. Secrets from her mother: 1 - I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mun and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur. From her boyfriend: 2 - I'm a size twelve. not a size eight, like connor thinks. 3 - I've always thought connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. From her colleagues: 4 - When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day). 5 - It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: 6 - My G string is hurting me. 7 - I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8 - I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is... ... Until she spills them to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stanger...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241901, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:37 -0400)

After the worst day of her life, Emma Corrigan spills her darkest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, but when he re-emerges in her life, she will have to face the things she said to him, and her growing feelings for him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,853,791 books! | Top bar: Always visible