Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Member:msdana
Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meggin Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (141)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (145)

Originally posted here

This was the right book at the right time for me as lately I have been feeling like I am descending into a bit of a reading slump. The horror. Can You Keep a Secret? was surprisingly funny and had me chortling almost all the way through. The main character Emma is very relatable and the extremely embarrassing situations she goes through at work and home made me feel better about myself and my own embarrassing experiences. Emma takes the award for living through the most cringe worthy situations imaginable - but that is what made this book comedy gold.

It is foremost a contemporary romance and it is a typical example of chick-lit. The story is fast paced and silly - it is definitely a book to pick up when a quick and easy reading fix is in need. It certainly would not pass the Bechdel test but I didn't care because I liked the story for what it was. My only criticism of the book would be that it does reinforce unhealthy ideas of body image as Emma comments on her weight and dress size at times. It was as ridiculous as saying that she is a size 4 but she is actually a size 8... as if a size 8 was something to be shameful of. Emma also shames a character that she describes as 300 pounds which annoyed me but it was such a minor thing I don't feel like it hampered my enjoyment overall.

Overall Can You Keep a Secret? is a feel-good, humorous and fast read which is a great antidote to the dreaded reading slump. ( )
  4everfanatical | May 8, 2016 |
Still one of the best chick lit books out there. I never forget how much I laughed when reading about the plane. ( )
  Marlene-NL | Mar 12, 2016 |
Can you keep a secret? What I love about Sophie's main characters is that they are not super women, they aren't sucessfull in their jobs, they are pretty but not stunning beautiful, they are more funny than sexy... This time Emma Corrigan is the one who is going to share some secrets, with a not so stranger guy. A new character to love, to laugh with and share some secrets... ( )
  Glaucialm | Feb 18, 2016 |
Emma Corrigan, the narrator, is very blunt when it comes to sharing her thoughts with the reader, which makes the book hilarious. However, to her friends, colleagues, and family, she is oftentimes not truthful, therefore she has lots of secrets. She works for Panther Cola, and on the flight back from a (miserably failed) business trip, the plane experiences heavy turbluence. Emma is so scared that the plane will crash that she blabs all of her secrets to the American stranger sitting next to her. I found this a little unbelievable, but it was cute, nevertheless. The reader may connect with some of her secrets, such as Emma lying about her weight to her boyfriend. When the plane lands safely, she bids him farewell, thinking she will never see him again. At home, she has to worry about her job, her family, her boyfriend, and her flatmates.
Instinct (and the book jacket description) tells the reader that Emma will definitely see this stranger again, and it turns out he is Jack Harper, the CEO of Panther Cola. Even though Emma has the "perfect boyfriend," she cannot help but fall in love with Jack even though this guy knows all of her secrets. Jack is a private man who is very taciturn, so the relationship is, for the most part, one-sided. It is still cute to see them together through their ups and downs in the book, and once again, I must say Emma's thoughts are absolutely hilarious. She is not 100% honest, so when she says one thing to a person, she lets the reader know what she really is thinking.
A very cute book, one a reader cannot help falling in love with, but the ending is a bit abrupt and could have been written better. Everything is going along just fine, but something happens. Then in a couple of pages, it is suddenly resolved. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a cute and quick read, but I didn't love the characters like I loved the Shopaholic characters. Sometimes, Jack came off a bit controlling and odd, but most of it was explained in the end. It's not serious and total chick-lit. But it was nice and a good summer read. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Emma (± 21) werkt in Londen als marketing-assistente bij Panther NV, wat haar familie te min vindt, zodat ze haar werk aandikt. Ook tegen haar nieuwe vriend, de knappe maar saaie Connor, maakt ze dingen mooier. Als tijdens een zakenreisje haar vliegtuig in turbulentie terechtkomt, raakt ze in paniek en biecht haar onbekende buurman haar geheimen op. Bij aankomst is ze zo in de war dat ze Connors voorstel om samen te wonen accepteert. Haar biechtvader blijkt echter Jack, haar hoogste baas te zijn die alles heeft onthouden wat ze zei en belangstelling voor haar heeft. [...]. Van de Engelse financieel journaliste verschenen enkele bestsellers. Ook deze luchtige roman, die vooral werkende jonge vrouwen van ± 18 tot 32 zal aanspreken, leest lekker weg. Een herkenbaar verhaal, waarin heel veel in hoog tempo gebeurt, met vaak komische misverstanden, romantiek en veel Engelse humor.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Madelon de Swart

Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaöVers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets. Secrets from her mother: 1 - I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mun and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur. From her boyfriend: 2 - I'm a size twelve. not a size eight, like connor thinks. 3 - I've always thought connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. From her colleagues: 4 - When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day). 5 - It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: 6 - My G string is hurting me. 7 - I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8 - I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is... ... Until she spills them to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stanger...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241901, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

After the worst day of her life, Emma Corrigan spills her darkest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, but when he re-emerges in her life, she will have to face the things she said to him, and her growing feelings for him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,859,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible