Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie Kinsella

Can You Keep a Secret? (original 2003; edition 2005)

by Sophie Kinsella

Member:msdana
Title:Can You Keep a Secret?
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell (2005), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Read

Can You Keep A Secret? by Sophie Kinsella (2003)

Snap Happy by Fiona Walker (HazardMain)
    The Boy Next Door by Meggin Cabot (Runa)
    Queen of Babble by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    Boy Meets Girl by Meg Cabot (Runa)
    She'll Take It by Mary Carter (Norabee)
    Norabee: Totally different storyline but has the same quit wit and energy in the plot and character development - highly recommended!

English (138)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (142)
Emma Corrigan, the narrator, is very blunt when it comes to sharing her thoughts with the reader, which makes the book hilarious. However, to her friends, colleagues, and family, she is oftentimes not truthful, therefore she has lots of secrets. She works for Panther Cola, and on the flight back from a (miserably failed) business trip, the plane experiences heavy turbluence. Emma is so scared that the plane will crash that she blabs all of her secrets to the American stranger sitting next to her. I found this a little unbelievable, but it was cute, nevertheless. The reader may connect with some of her secrets, such as Emma lying about her weight to her boyfriend. When the plane lands safely, she bids him farewell, thinking she will never see him again. At home, she has to worry about her job, her family, her boyfriend, and her flatmates.
Instinct (and the book jacket description) tells the reader that Emma will definitely see this stranger again, and it turns out he is Jack Harper, the CEO of Panther Cola. Even though Emma has the "perfect boyfriend," she cannot help but fall in love with Jack even though this guy knows all of her secrets. Jack is a private man who is very taciturn, so the relationship is, for the most part, one-sided. It is still cute to see them together through their ups and downs in the book, and once again, I must say Emma's thoughts are absolutely hilarious. She is not 100% honest, so when she says one thing to a person, she lets the reader know what she really is thinking.
A very cute book, one a reader cannot help falling in love with, but the ending is a bit abrupt and could have been written better. Everything is going along just fine, but something happens. Then in a couple of pages, it is suddenly resolved. ( )
  AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
This is a cute and quick read, but I didn't love the characters like I loved the Shopaholic characters. Sometimes, Jack came off a bit controlling and odd, but most of it was explained in the end. It's not serious and total chick-lit. But it was nice and a good summer read. ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
Audio-I was not expecting to laugh myself to tears, not even expecting to really even finish this book. I read it looking to expand my reading pool after a friends fantastic recommendation. it was the funniest book I think I've ever read. I was laughing so hard at time I got loads of weird looks from people while walking my dogs. Oh, well I am the crazy laughing women. The narrator for this book has a dream voice.
Emma, a sweet young women working her way up in a corporation. She tries so hard really, she deserves a promotion. Only her bosses and coworkers don't see it that way. She get a chance to prove herself. There is a vey important client she is to meet with, simple. No, she drifts into her mind-scape of dreams and loses focus. When she realizes what happening she bumbles and has to fly home with another blow to her ego and her career. Oh, god she has to fly, she is terrified to fly. She drinks to calm her nerves before the flight and is feeling it. A turn of luck ups her flight status and puts her in business class where they serve more drinks. This flight changes her life- snow ball down the hill. She spills her life's secrets to a stranger, every little intimate detail. Yes, everyone ! but it's okay right ? She'll never see him again. LOL sure, right, yep. ( )
  TheYodamom | Jan 29, 2016 |
Emma has plenty of secrets - from her boyfriend, her mother, and even her friends. Nothing major, but many things that she would be embarrassed to share. Until she starts to panic on a turbulent flight, and starts spurting out ALL her secrets to the businessman sitting beside her...

The story is nicely done, with some amusing caricatures. Emma’s confessions return to haunt her in more ways than one, and a growing relationship is, inevitably, hindered in a variety of ways, most of them unexpected.

Of all the books I’ve read by Sophie Kinsella this is the one that most closely resembles a classic boy-meets-girl story with a predictable ending, even though much of what happens during the story is far from predictable. And while Emma reminded me more than once of Kinsella’s most famous heroine, Becky Bloomfield of Shopaholic fame, she is far more careful with her money and less inclined (other than when flying) to make spontaneous decisions that she later regrets.

There’s more bad language than I’m comfortable with, but not enough to be seriously overdone. And while the inevitable intimate scenes take place off the pages of the book, there’s what seems to me a rather exaggerated amount of discussion about them, and a rapidity about embarking on intimacy which surprised me, despite my familiarity with modern fictional heroines who seem to have little else on their minds.

There’s an underlying theme about the importance of honesty in relationships, which raises this somewhat above the level of typical chick-lit. On the whole I’d recommend it if you want something light and undemanding.

Three and a half stars would be fairer. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
Emma Corrigan is taking a plane ride home to London when they hit turbulence and she's so scared she tells all of her secrets to the man sitting next to her. Emma is horrified whne she gets to work on Monday and realizes the man is the owns the company she workd for. A lot of fun. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Emma (± 21) werkt in Londen als marketing-assistente bij Panther NV, wat haar familie te min vindt, zodat ze haar werk aandikt. Ook tegen haar nieuwe vriend, de knappe maar saaie Connor, maakt ze dingen mooier. Als tijdens een zakenreisje haar vliegtuig in turbulentie terechtkomt, raakt ze in paniek en biecht haar onbekende buurman haar geheimen op. Bij aankomst is ze zo in de war dat ze Connors voorstel om samen te wonen accepteert. Haar biechtvader blijkt echter Jack, haar hoogste baas te zijn die alles heeft onthouden wat ze zei en belangstelling voor haar heeft. [...]. Van de Engelse financieel journaliste verschenen enkele bestsellers. Ook deze luchtige roman, die vooral werkende jonge vrouwen van ± 18 tot 32 zal aanspreken, leest lekker weg. Een herkenbaar verhaal, waarin heel veel in hoog tempo gebeurt, met vaak komische misverstanden, romantiek en veel Engelse humor.
added by Liyanna | editBiblion, Madelon de Swart

Raffo, AnnamariaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selkälä, UllaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Gelder, MariëtteTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wiberg, CarlaöVers.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To H, for whom I have no secrets.
Well, not many, anyway.
Of course I have secrets.

Emma is like every girl in the world. She has a few little secrets. Secrets from her mother: 1 - I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom to Danny Nussbaum while Mun and Dad were downstairs watching Ben Hur. From her boyfriend: 2 - I'm a size twelve. not a size eight, like connor thinks. 3 - I've always thought connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. From her colleagues: 4 - When Artemis really annoys me, I feed her plant orange juice. (Which is pretty much every day). 5 - It was me who jammed the copier that time. In fact, all the times. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: 6 - My G string is hurting me. 7 - I faked my Maths GCSE grade on my CV.
8 - I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is... ... Until she spills them to a stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stanger...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241901, Mass Market Paperback)

Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: Secrets from her boyfriend: I’ve always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken. Secrets from her mother: I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn’t share with anyone in the world: I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger.…Until Emma comes face-to-face with Jack Harper, the company’s elusive CEO, a man who knows every single humiliating detail about her...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:49 -0400)

After the worst day of her life, Emma Corrigan spills her darkest secrets to a stranger on an airplane, but when he re-emerges in her life, she will have to face the things she said to him, and her growing feelings for him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,166,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible