The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple…

The Sprouted Kitchen Bowl and Spoon: Simple and Inspired Whole Foods…

by Sara Forte

Prefacing my review with a few notes about me that might color my judgement:

-I am vegan so no fish, meat, dairy, bee ingredients. I have been cooking for myself for 38 years and am used to substituting ingredients I will not eat. This translates into recipes are there to spark flavor combinations and ideas not necessarily to follow blindly. Although I do appreciate it when I can make something without tweaking.

-I have found that I usually find 1 recipe from a book that I make again and again. Sometimes it takes a few years to make a second recipe. I am the same way in restaurants. I comb the menu and pick what I will like then stick with it until one day I approach it with new eyes.

I have made the Marrakesh Carrot Salad numerous times for myself, family, pot lucks etc. It is always well received. I make it without the feta or pomegranate seeds.

This cookbook was a gift from my sister. She is a fan of Sara Forte's blog and the aforementioned recipes shows up on blog with a slight variation. As the previous reviewer mentioned the photography is gorgeous.

I am not much of a morning person in the sense of I am hungry and don't want to compose a bowl or bake muffins etc so most breakfast chapters in my cookbooks get ignored. The exception is her soaked oat porridge which combines both steel cut oats and rolled oats.

The problem with bowls in general is that I find myself making several components to create my own bowls. No wait that isn't a problem. But she doesn't really present the components as their own stand along yumminess. She notes the component factor on a page titled Bowl Foods; start with a grain but no delightfully seasoned grains, add a well seasoned protein but again no stand alone proteins i.e. I just looked up Tofu in index and got 'Hippie Bowl' and 'Slivered Veggie and Soba Salad with Mapled Tofu' Given that her choices of components for various breakfast vs dinner bowls may seem odd I would have liked to see a chapter on well seasoned proteins with her composed bowls as ideas pulled from the basics. Which is how she describes her cooking style. Perhaps this is a minor quibble. I do feel I miss out on various yummy options because the could possibly be a favorite grain or salad is skipped because raw tuna is the protein.

I appreciate she uses greens and beans in her breakfast bowls. I think a lot of people ignore both of those ingredients in their typical breakfast fare so if you have the components ready to go it is fast to throw together.

She does use a lot of dairy and some odd ingredients. By odd I mean things like bee pollen. Who just happens to keep a jar? bottle? box? of bee pollen sitting around the pantry? I don't think I have ever seen bee pollen for sale in any market but maybe because I don't shop in the nutritional supplement aisle for foods. I might pop in for some chia or flax or hemp but I have never combed the aisle for other supposed super foods that google shows me are often packaged like your multivitamin.

The book, however, still earns 4 stars from me. Not only is it beautiful but the recipes I have made have been delightful. ( )
  elka.b | Nov 10, 2017 |
This cookbook was the inspired from Sara Forte’s website The Sprouted Kitchen. The photography in this book is exceptional as is the photography on her blog. Her husband Hugh Forte is a very good photographer in my humble opinion. When I ordered this book I expected soups, salads and deconstructed casserole type dishes such as beans, rice and a protein. That’s what one eats from a bowl, right?

I was surprised to see the number of meals that, in my opinion, would be better suited on a plate. Salmon, roasted carrots and stuffed peppers come to mind. Sure, you can put anything in a bowl and no one said it had to be traditional fare.

Pros: The recipes are divided up by category. Morning Bowls, Side Bowls, Big Bowls, Sweet Bowls and Dressings. The beginning or introduction gives good tips on organizing a kitchen and suggestions on what items to stock in your pantry.
Very health oriented ingredients although the use of cheese and dairy can be excessive.

For my sample dish I choose the Cocoa Banana Cup. Yes, I know I ought to have gone with a dinner bowl but my sweet tooth was intrigued.
The Haricot vert salad is one I want to make this week and Chickpea Deli Salad I may make this weekend.

Cons: Some of the breakfast bowls or morning bowls as she calls them would take too much time for me on a workday. Also, some of the choices for breakfast do not appeal to my palate. Black beans, arugula and spinach (Popeye Protein Bowl) is indeed a great source of protein and screams “healthy ingredients” – but I couldn’t abide it for breakfast. The same goes for salmon and apple fennel slaw. Nope, not for breakfast. 5:30 a.m. is too early for those food items. Again, this is my personal preference.

I have so many cookbooks in my collection causing the poor shelves to groan under the weight of them. Because I can’t justify taking up more room by adding another shelving unit, I have been very selective about the books I like to keep. The ones I use repeated obviously have a permanent home but ones such as Bowl and Spoon won’t be staying. It’s a pretty book. It has wonderful photography. There are just too few recipes that I will prepare. ( )
  SquirrelHead | May 27, 2015 |

Cookbook celebrating one of the most ancient and satisfying culinary vessels is a welcome addition to my kitchen.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,408,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible