Rock with Wings by Anne Hillerman

The second of Anne Hillerman's books about Chee and Bernie, this continues the story of their relationship, with Leaphorn in the background recovering from his injuries from the first book. Chee and Bernie's honeymoon is put on hold when Bernie needs to return home to take care of her mother since her sister has again disappeared. She becomes a bit obsessed by the odd bahvior of a driver she pulls over for a traffic stop. Meanwhile Chee is called on to help another department deal with the disappearance of a woman from a film crew. Although the mysteries seem a bit farfetched and scattered, especially since they are pretty much separate, the development of these characters is engaging, and I'll look for future books in the series. ( )
  sleahey | May 1, 2017 |
Anne Hillerman had a 5 star read for this one until she lost me at the end. I liked her characters and her description of the setting was fabulous. I didn't mind her sending Chee and Bernie in two different directions. I thought she intertwined their storylines well. The wrap-up of Chee's case was handled well and I enjoyed the ending to his mysterious bones at the gravesite. Bernie's case was going well for me until the very end. It was a little too dramatic for my taste. But, I still enjoyed the story enough to keep it at four stars. I will definitely read more from her. ( )
  jguidry | Feb 3, 2017 |
Second in a series of books by Anne Hillerman, continuing her father's series. In this book, there are two story lines, one with Chee and the other with Bernie. Enjoyable and continues to illuminate Navajo culture--the reader picks up something during each book. Bernie's character continues to flourish; she's a crime solver on her own. There's not much to the relationship between the two because they're separated by circumstance. Leaphorn recovers from his gunshot. Fun series. ( )
  buffalogr | Jul 14, 2016 |
It is always a joy to join these characters. I have been reading the Hillerman family novels for so many years that Chee and Leaphorn seem to be old friends. Although the Anne writes well, there is just something that her father's novels had which is missing from hers. Still I enjoy her continuation of the series and especially her focus on Bernie Manuelito. ( )
  DrApple | May 4, 2016 |
Chee and Bernie try to take a short vacation but it does not go as planned. Problems with Bernie's mother and sister, a local investigation for Chee. Leaphorn is getting better. ( )
  bgknighton | May 3, 2016 |

Anne Hillermanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ottewell, MirandaCopy editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, JarrodCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of my mother, Marie. She gave me the title for this book...
And in memory of Cindy Bellinger.  She gave me simple, sage advice on how to finish ROCK WITH WINGS:  Keep writing!
Officer Bernadette Manuelito had been sitting in her unit by the side of the road for an hour, watching the last of the twilight fade and the pinpoints of stars appear in the blue-gray sky.

Navajo Tribal cops Jim Chee and Bernadette Manuelito, and their mentor, the legendary Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, investigate two perplexing cases in this exciting Southwestern mystery from the New York Times bestselling author of Spider Woman’s Daughter.

Doing a good deed for a relative offers the perfect opportunity for Sergeant Jim Chee and his wife, Officer Bernie Manuelito, to get away from the daily grind of police work. But two cases will call them back from their short vacation and separate them—one near Shiprock, and the other at iconic Monument Valley.

Chee follows a series of seemingly random and cryptic clues that lead to a missing woman, a coldblooded thug, and a mysterious mound of dirt and rocks that could be a gravesite. Bernie has her hands full managing the fallout from a drug bust gone wrong, uncovering the origins of a fire in the middle of nowhere, and looking into an ambitious solar energy development with long-ranging consequences for Navajo land.

Under the guidance of their mentor, retired Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn, Bernie and Chee will navigate unexpected obstacles and confront the greatest challenge yet to their skills, commitment, and courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:34 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,028,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible