Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen

Keeping the Moon (1999)

by Sarah Dessen

There is something intensely readable about Sarah Dessen. This is the third book I've read by her in just over a week, and I still find myself hungry for more. Since her books deal around the concepts of relationships and identity and are aimed at teen girls, her female protagonists are all a little uncomfortable, uncertain in their skin. This makes them extremely easy to identify with and also to empathise with. Any young girl who is feeling a little fat, a little clumsy, a little unlikeable, could learn a bit from her books, and this one in particular. The banter between Isabelle and Morgan is hilarious - they scrap like siblings, but are really best friends, and as older role-models, work well for Nicole, especially the somewhat forthright Isabel (warning: some bad language). And the stuff with Norman (Norman Norman, not Cat Norman) was sweet. I also loved the stuff with her somewhat eccentric Aunt. It is good to see a character that is far from perfect, and subjected to the occasional mockery from others, but is able to look beyond that and be comfortable with themselves.

A quick and easy read with some heart-warming moments that I pretty much devoured in one sitting. I can understand why Dessen keeps winning teen awards. I wish I'd had books like this when I was an uncomfortable, confused teen. Then maybe I wouldn't have felt so alone. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
They don't call Sarah Dessen the queen of YA romance for nothing. Don't ask me who "they" are because I haven't the faintest clue. But they aren't wrong and this is just another example of the kind of books that keeps me thinking about then for months after I've read them.

Of all of her characters I relate best to Colie. As a "fat" kid who moved around a lot growing up I knew exactly how she felt. Although my mom wasn't a fitness queen, she did try to tell me how to live my life. What Colie doesn't realize is that her mother gave her an out when she sent her to live with Aunt Mira. Once she gets used to the way Mira works that is.

The relationship between Colie's friends Morgan and Isabel is the first time I've seen Dessen write about a real friendship. They aren't always happy and don't always get along. They are flawed and fight. But in the end they love each other and can count on one another. From my experiences that's what makes friendships special. Their love lives are also very real to me.

As with all of Dessen's novels there is romance in the air. This time it's with artist Norman. For me it wasn't as obvious if they were going to get together nor not. It's the kind of relationship that creeps up on you and then BAM you're knee deep in love mud. Norma isn't my dream boat kind of guy, but he's perfect for Colie. I wish the relationship had started earlier in the story.

I read this book years ago and I will keep re-reading it for years to come.
  Jennifer.McClelland | Jun 10, 2013 |
Nicole Sparks is going to live with her Aunt Mira in Colby. Her mom Kiki Sparks is on a tour. Colie finds out who she really is within two months. Isabel and Morgan, two waitresses at the restaurant, help Colie find who she is and get her a job. Colie goes through a rough time with Morgan and a breakup but ten Colie gets a makeover by Isabel. I read this book because it was by an author I liked and her books are good.
  edspicer | Jun 3, 2013 |
Outcast Colie is sent to live with her embarrassing aunt for the summer in a strange town, but begins to see everyone a little differently when she makes friends with wacky waitresses Morgan and Isobel. ( )
  rin.wilson | Apr 20, 2013 |
I've read better Sarah Dessen books. It was okay. ( )
  pam.enser | Apr 1, 2013 |
For Lee Smith who taught me, and for past and present burritogirls everywhere.
My name is Nicole Sparks.
Last Chance is an alternate title for Keeping the Moon.

Fifteen-year-old Colie is spending the summer with her eccentric Aunt Mira while her mother travels. Formerly chubby and still insecure, Colie has built a shell around herself. But her summer with her aunt, her aunt's tenant Norman, and her friends at the Last Chance Diner teaches her some important lessons about friendship and learning to love yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:54 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Colie, a former fat girl, spends the summer working as a waitress in a beachside restaurant, staying with her overweight and eccentric Aunt Mira, and trying to explore her sense of self.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,575,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible