No title (1999)

Authors:
Info:
Collections:
Tags:young adult

Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen (1999)

This book started off okay. I didn't finish it,but I will give it another try.
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
Colie is a fat girl stuck in a skinny girl's body. She lost the weight, she did everything she was supposed to do to shed the years of shame and insignificance but inside she still feels 2 feet tall and 200 lbs. Colie grew up with her free-spirited mom who never really had a hang on life, bills, her diet until one day Colie's mom discovers a gym where she can work out and starts to dramatically lose weight. Inspiring others, Colie's mom becomes an international superstar and weight loss celebrity and starts to travel the world teaching her art. Colie has lost the weight but now in her high school, her new nick name is SLUT. The mean girls at school like to torment Colie as much as they can and Colie is as insecure as a girl can be. Since her mom is traveling the world, performing her weight loss techniques on TV, Colie is thrust into a beach town with her aunt that she barely knows. Her aunt is extremely free-spirited, doesn't own a car, is over-weight and doesn't seem to mind it, and doesn't notice when people make fun of her for it. Colie doesn't know what to think of it but in a chance encounter at a local restaurant she is given a summer job as a waitress and starts to make friends and see that she can be accepted, she can beautiful and be herself.
This is a coming of age story about a young girl who discovers that she is not what the mean girls call her, she is a cool person who can let loose, be herself and make friends. She is not defined but other people's definitions of her.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Her aunt was a breath of fresh air and the friends Colie makes along the way were just what she needed. ( )
  KatieHeflin | Jun 15, 2014 |
Not her best, Along for the Ride is sort of a better done rehash. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
Colie, a formerly-overweight girl who still feels like everyone is judging her, spends the summer with her aunt in a small beach town and unexpectedly lands a job at the Last Chance restaurant. She becomes friends with Isabel and Morgan, who teach her how to *be* a friend, and Norman, a sweet and funny artist who Colie finds herself drawn to. During her time with them, she uncovers the true self that's been hidden under years of shame and phantom flesh. "Keeping the Moon" is one of my favorite Dessen novels; even though it's short, the characters are so vibrant and fully developed that you can easily transport yourself into their lives. Definitely a must-read for any young woman struggling with self-esteem issues. ( )
  TheMadHatters | May 1, 2014 |
There is something intensely readable about Sarah Dessen. This is the third book I've read by her in just over a week, and I still find myself hungry for more. Since her books deal around the concepts of relationships and identity and are aimed at teen girls, her female protagonists are all a little uncomfortable, uncertain in their skin. This makes them extremely easy to identify with and also to empathise with. Any young girl who is feeling a little fat, a little clumsy, a little unlikeable, could learn a bit from her books, and this one in particular. The banter between Isabelle and Morgan is hilarious - they scrap like siblings, but are really best friends, and as older role-models, work well for Nicole, especially the somewhat forthright Isabel (warning: some bad language). And the stuff with Norman (Norman Norman, not Cat Norman) was sweet. I also loved the stuff with her somewhat eccentric Aunt. It is good to see a character that is far from perfect, and subjected to the occasional mockery from others, but is able to look beyond that and be comfortable with themselves.

A quick and easy read with some heart-warming moments that I pretty much devoured in one sitting. I can understand why Dessen keeps winning teen awards. I wish I'd had books like this when I was an uncomfortable, confused teen. Then maybe I wouldn't have felt so alone. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
For Lee Smith who taught me, and for past and present burritogirls everywhere.
My name is Nicole Sparks.
Last Chance is an alternate title for Keeping the Moon.

Fifteen-year-old Colie is spending the summer with her eccentric Aunt Mira while her mother travels. Formerly chubby and still insecure, Colie has built a shell around herself. But her summer with her aunt, her aunt's tenant Norman, and her friends at the Last Chance Diner teaches her some important lessons about friendship and learning to love yourself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:54 -0400)

Fifteen-year-old Colie, a former fat girl, spends the summer working as a waitress in a beachside restaurant, staying with her overweight and eccentric Aunt Mira, and trying to explore her sense of self.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,638,189 books! | Top bar: Always visible