Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica

Pretty Baby

by Mary Kubica

English (38)  Italian (1)  All (39)
I really enjoyed this book! It is written from the prospective of a few of the main characters, each having their own chapter. Heidi finds a girl and her baby in the rain waiting for the L train in Chicago. After seeing her a couple of times, she brings her home because the baby appears to be sick and needing attention. Heidi's husband and daughter are not too keen on this idea. We get the back story on the girl and how she got to the place where she is and the story on the baby too. It was a good read and I read it in a few days. It would be a great book for a book club. ( )
  tswaine | Aug 8, 2017 |
Heidi is a social worker who brings a homeless teen and her baby into the home she shares with her workaholic husband and their 12-year-old daughter.

This was a thriller minus the thrill. It was dull and predictable with an absolutely absurd scenario. I did not like the characters, they were flat. Heidi's story became sooo repetitious. Heidi - go pay attention to your own kid. ( )
  jenn88 | Apr 25, 2017 |
This is a great read. I enjoyed the writing style, the plot and the characters. Going to the library to find her first book! Hope it is as good! ( )
  sarahjvigen | Mar 23, 2017 |
One of the best books I've read in awhile. This was the first book I've read from this author. A great thriller that had me guessing until the very end and my guess was wrong! Haha I really enjoyed it and recommend it to those to enjoy thrillers that keep you guessing! ( )
  Crystal423 | Mar 10, 2017 |
This is a well-written suspenseful tale with compelling characters and excellent pacing that had me listening every chance I got. The audio version has an excellent ensemble cast of narrators. I particularly liked the narrator for Chris. The story is told from 3 POV: Heidi, Chris and Willow. Heidi is a bleeding heart and works for a non-profit. According to Chris, her husband, "every neglected, mistreated, overlooked, ignored, abandoned, forgotten, emaciated, abused, derelict creature on God’s green earth is Heidi's concern”. Chris is a workaholic with a high-pressure job that keeps him away from home for long hours, but his wit and sarcasm provided much-needed comic relief. Willow is a homeless teenager with a 4-month-old baby girl, Ruby. There are some secondary characters, most notably, Zoe, Heidi and Chris’s once-sweet daughter who is now a sullen, prepubescent (i.e. normal) 12 year old.

Heidi sees Willow and her infant lingering at the train station on several occasions and befriends her. Compelled to help, she eventually takes them into her home, much to Chris and Zoe's alarm. The tension builds as Willow’s background story is slowly revealed and the dynamic between Heidi and Willow changes. Heidi herself has a past with a boatload of emotional baggage that helps explain her motives and actions. Meanwhile, Chris’s suspicion grows. His (amusing) forays into social media fails to dig up info on the girl so he hires a PI. There are plenty of secrets to be revealed, all building to a dramatic conclusion. The ending is riveting and suspenseful but there wasn't a major twist, as I'd been led to expect. At least it's not what I consider a twist. I was able to guess at a plot development before it happened, but it didn't take away from the suspense.

The character development was excellent, the multiple POV story line, which, in my opinion, tends to be overdone in current fiction, was expertly done. I didn’t feel pulled out of the story but eagerly awaited each character’s perspective. One minor quibble I have is some of Willow’s actions are incongruent, and a medical plot device involving a pill was unconvincing. I can’t say more without spoilers, but they bugged me. I also found some of Willow's prose rather flowery for a girl with her background.

I think it would make a terrific movie. And now I want to read Kubica’s first book, The Good Girl.
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
For the ones I've lost
The first time I see her, she is standing at the Fullerton Station, on the train platform, clutching an infant in her arms.

A chance encounter sparks an unrelenting web of lies in this stunning new psychological thriller from national bestselling author Mary Kubica

She sees the teenage girl on the train platform, standing in the pouring rain, clutching an infant in her arms. She boards a train and is whisked away. But she can't get the girl out of her head…

Heidi Wood has always been a charitable woman: she works for a nonprofit, takes in stray cats. Still, her husband and daughter are horrified when Heidi returns home one day with a young woman named Willow and her four-month-old baby in tow. Disheveled and apparently homeless, this girl could be a criminal—or worse. But despite her family's objections, Heidi invites Willow and the baby to take refuge in their home.

Heidi spends the next few days helping Willow get back on her feet, but as clues into Willow's past begin to surface, Heidi is forced to decide how far she's willing to go to help a stranger. What starts as an act of kindness quickly spirals into a story far more twisted than anyone could have anticipated.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,094,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible