Earls Just Want to Have Fun by Shana Galen

Earls Just Want to Have Fun

by Shana Galen

Its funny, suspenseful and inspiring. Highly recommended! ( )
  LysaJP | Nov 12, 2016 |
Pickpocket and London slum-dweller Marlowe is kidnapped off the streets and thrown kicking and screaming into a fancy carriage. Maxwell, Lord Dane, is intrigued when his brother Sir Brooke, a hired investigator, ropes him into help with the kidnapping. The real identity of Marlowe is yet to be established, she may turn out to be Lady Elizabeth, taken from a park when she was very young. However even if she is, the brutal leader of the Covent Garden Cubs, Satin, will never let her go. And would this smelly, dirty, foul-mouthed creature ever be accepted by the ton and recognised by her birth parents? And will Maxwell's view of the poor, that they are all just plain lazy and deserve to be where they are, ever change? A tale in the tradition of Pygmalion. Not bad. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Sep 18, 2015 |
Read for Fun/Listened for Review (Library/Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 4.00 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Who would have thought that the differences between Marlowe and Max would make Earls Just Want to Have Fun by Shana Galen so freaking fun!

Overall Thoughts: I have to admit that the first 1/4 of this story I wasn't sure it was going to be a love match (with me not between the characters). However, once things got moving I slowly fell in love with Marlowe and Max. Marlowe's history was particularly interesting and the characters surrounding her were fascinating. I think this might end up being one of those series that I will just adore. I also loved Max and his sister (next book)/brother (hopefully getting his own story). This was just my kind of read!

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Beverley A. Crick / Length: 9 hrs and 42 mins

I really loved Beverley's narration. This is my second book narrated by her (both historical romances) and I think she just has a knack for the genre. She has a proper enough cadence for the time and she does well with unusual women. I will be getting book 2 on audio :)

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! ( )
  thehistorychic | Aug 24, 2015 |
I always love it when Ms. Galen has a new series come out. This one deals with a woman living in the slums of London making a living as part of a pickpocket gang. How she ends up with an earl is quite an entertaining tale that you should definitely read. It's refreshing to read a historical romance where the people are a little salty and not so proper. There were a few times I laughed out loud and maybe a time or two when my eyes got a little watery. Hope the next book comes out soon.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. ( )
  amdrane2 | Mar 8, 2015 |
...never a dull moment!

From the ending of Viscount of Vice I knew we had not seen the last of that scourge of the criminal underworld Satin. Marlowe has been running with his band since forever, forever when she was someone else, barely a whisper in her thoughts and a far remembered name, the fantasy name Elizabeth.
Earls might want to have fun but Maxwell, Lord Dane, when affecting a certain ennui and ripe for a change, was not expecting to be saddled with one of his investigator brother Brook's cases. He forgot the old saying about being beware of what you ask for. A missing child, a savage underworld leader, a wildcat young female thief who prefers men's clothing and bound up 'bubbies' threaten to give him more than he can handle.
Marlowe exists in a dangerous world of theft and worse. When grabbed off the streets by Brook, bundled into Dane's carriage and taken to a ton household, Marlowe is hurled into an unreal world she cannot fathom, and yet this world prompts slivers of past memories that intrude as far off dreams, as dismissed fantasies. She knows this world is not for the likes of her, or is it?
This is not quite Pygmalion but certainly there are those elements. A thoroughly enjoyable read.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Feb 3, 2015 |

His heart may be the last thing she ever steals...

Marlowe is a pickpocket, a housebreaker-and a better actress than any professional on the stage. She runs with the Covent Garden Cubs, a gang of thieves living in the slums of London's Seven Dials. It's a fierce life, and Marlowe has a hard outer shell. But when she's alone, she allows herself to think of a time before-a dimly remembered life when she was called Elizabeth.

Maxwell, Lord Dane, is intrigued when his brother, a hired investigator, ropes him into his investigation of the fiercely beautiful hellion. He teaches her to navigate the social morass of the ton, but Marlowe will not escape so easily. Instead, Dane is drawn into her dangerous world, where the student becomes the teacher and love is the greatest risk of all.

"Marlowe is a pickpocket, a housebreaker--and a better actress than any professional on the stage. She runs with the Covent Garden Cubs, a gang of thieves living in the slums of London's Seven Dials. It's a fierce life, and Marlowe has a hard outer shell. But when she's alone, she allows herself to think of a time before--a dimly remembered life when she was called Elizabeth. Maxwell, Lord Dane, is intrigued when his brother, a hired investigator, ropes him into his investigation of the fiercely beautiful hellion. He teaches her to navigate the social morass of the ton, but Marlowe will not escape so easily. Instead, Dane is drawn into her dangerous world, where the student becomes the teacher and love is the greatest risk of all"--Page 4 of cover.… (more)

Shana Galen is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,570,619 books! | Top bar: Always visible