Shopaholic & Sister by Sophie Kinsella

Shopaholic & Sister (2004)

by Sophie Kinsella

English (46)  Italian (1)  All languages (47)
This is the 4th book in the shopaholic series. Again as in the previous books, the main character is Rebecca aka Becky Bloomwood. She spends far too much money on stupid thing eg clothes, shoes, handbags, waffles machines...
She is now married to Luke Brandon who she met in the 1st book. They honeymooned for 10 months and have now come home back to reality. On arrival home,Becky thinks her parents are acting strange and she discovers that she has a sister. And the story begins.

To be honest, I struggled through this book. I've read the 1st and haven't read the 2nd or 3rd but don't feel as though I missed anything. I'm quite glad to have skipped them really. Although well written and funny, I find Becky really annoying. She hasn't learn't after all this time that she spends too much money on rubbish. Its like reading the first book all over again but with a few new characters and in a slightly different setting.

Unfortunately I have the next book in series already so I will just read that when I want an easy read with a few laughs. ( )
  Nataliec7 | Apr 20, 2015 |
This was passed on to me by a friend. I think I might have read the first in the series a long time ago, but nothing really seems to have changed. I appreciate that this series is not all about gritty realism, but Becky is so irremediably infantile and is always saved by unlikely strokes of good fortune. Bits of it were very entertaining - Jess on the shopping trip for example - but most of the time I was just infuriated. I'm not sure what Luke and Becky really have in common and I'm not sure what we are expected to make of her empty-headedness. Do we find it endearing? refreshing? brave? worrying? ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 24, 2015 |
Shopaholic is just too addicting! (Yes, this was my fourth Shopaholic in a row. I told you, it was a five-book set!) ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
As the series progresses, the story and Becky, herself, become more shallower and sillier. Becky Bloomwood must be the most naive, poser, irresponsible, stupid heroine I have met. Her sister was right, she was a spoiled brat. I just wished Kinsella did not make this a series. I hope she just stopped with the first one. I don't know who needs help, Becky Bloomwood or Sophie Kinsella! ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 17, 2014 |
Didn't enjoy this half as much as the other Shopaholic books. Just seemed like an odd transition book. ( )
  sweetzombieducky | Feb 14, 2014 |
To Gemma and Abigail, in celebration of being sisters.
OK. I can do this. No problem.

Sophie Kinsella has conquered the hearts of millions with her New York Times bestselling Shopaholic novels, which feature the irresistible one-woman shopping phenomenon Becky Bloomwood. Now Becky’s back in a hilarious, heartwarming tale of married life, best friends, and long-lost sisters (and the perils of simply having to own an Angel handbag!).

What’s a round-the-world honeymoon if you can’t buy the odd souvenir to ship back home? Like the Chinese urns and twenty silk dressing gowns Becky found in Hong Kong…the five kilim rugs from Turkey…the splendid hand-carved dining table (and ten chairs) from Sri Lanka…the, um, huge wooden giraffes from Malawi (that her husband Luke expressly forbade her to buy)…

Only now Becky and Luke have returned home to London and Luke is furious. Two truckloads of those souvenirs have cluttered up their usually immaculate loft, and the bills for them are outrageous. Becky’s even maxed out on her second secret credit card, and she doesn’t have a new job yet!

Luke insists she go on a budget. And worse: her beloved best friend Suze has found a new best friend while Becky was away. Becky’s feeling rather blue—when her parents deliver some incredible news. She has a long-lost sister! Becky is thrilled! She’s convinced her sister will be a true soulmate. They’ll go shopping together, drink cappuccinos together, have manicures together, and watch their favorite videos together.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044024191X, Mass Market Paperback)

What’s a round-the-world honeymoon if you can’t buy the odd souvenir to ship back home? Like the twenty silk dressing gowns Becky found in Hong Kong…the hand-carved dining table (and ten chairs) from Sri Lanka…the, um, huge wooden giraffes from Malawi (that her husband Luke expressly forbade her to buy)… Only now Becky and Luke have returned home to London and Luke is furious. Two truckloads of those souvenirs have cluttered up their loft, and the bills for them are outrageous. Luke insists Becky go on a budget. And worse: her beloved best friend Suze has found a new best friend while Becky was away. Becky’s feeling rather blue—when her parents deliver some incredible news. She has a long-lost sister! Becky is thrilled! She’s convinced her sister will be a true soulmate. They’ll go shopping together, have manicures together.…Until she meets Jessica for the first time and gets the shock of her life. Surely Becky Bloomwood’s sister can’t…hate shopping?

Sophie Kinsella is a former financial journalist and the author of the bestselling novels Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic Takes Manhattan, Shopaholic Ties the Knot, Can You Keep a Secret?, and The Undomestic Goddess. She lives in England, where she is at work on her next book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:42 -0400)

Returning to London after her ten-month honeymoon, Becky Bloomwood Brandon finds herself depressed by a lack of money, a search for a job, and her best friend Suze's new best friend, until she discovers that she has a long lost sister.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,156,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible