Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie…

Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (edition 2002)

by Sophie Kinsella

Member:tinydevastation
Title:Shopaholic Takes Manhattan
Authors:Sophie Kinsella
Info:Dell Pub. (2002), Paperback, 336 pages
Tags:humor, romance

Shopaholic Abroad by Sophie Kinsella

English (62)  Portuguese (1)  Lithuanian (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (65)
(Note: 5 stars = rare and amazing, 4 = quite good book, 3 = a decent read, 2 = disappointing, 1 = awful, just awful. There are a lot of 4s and 3s in the world!) ( )
  ashleytylerjohn | Sep 19, 2018 |
Rebecca Bloomwood obviously did not learn her lesson the first time. In the second installment of the shopaholic series, Becky accompanies her boyfriend Luke Brandon on a trip to Manhattan who is looking to expand his company overseas. When Becky’s spending habits and growing debt come to the attention of the public, she loses her job as a finance advisor and must fix the mess she’s created for herself. Her relationship with Luke is suddenly threatened and she is forced to take a hard look at how she is living her life.

I enjoyed this book even more than the first. And having just read the first, it was funny how Becky rationalized her actions from the first book, minimizing and glossing them over in some cases. Rebecca reminds me of a cross between Bridgett Jones and Cher from the movie Clueless. Ms. Kinsella wrote another funny and entertaining novel.
  LiteraryFeline | Nov 25, 2017 |
3.5 stars

Becky paid off her debt a while back, but is having trouble keeping it down again. Though she has promised her roommate she’ll be better, it’s really hard sticking to it! Her corporate boyfriend, Luke, is wanting to expand his company to the U.S., so he and Becky plan to go to New York for a couple of weeks to work on that, while Becky does some networking to see if she can also find a job. Things start off looking good, but something goes drastically wrong while there…

I have mixed feelings about Becky. I hated all the lies! Seemingly little white lies, but they build and build and build! Of course, I also don’t like shopping, so I don’t understand how she can’t hold back better on the spending, knowing how much trouble she’s getting into (though she doesn’t seem to be able to understand that, and she certainly can’t seem to face it). At the same time, I did feel badly for her when things went wrong. Whatever my feelings about Becky’s character, I did enjoy the book for light, mild entertainment. Except… mild ewwwww, cousins…. Ewwwwww! ( )
  LibraryCin | Jun 29, 2017 |
When Confessions of a Shopaholic ended I felt empowered and hopeful that Rebecca was making a permanent change in her life. Then I picked up Shopaholic Takes Manhattan. She is back at square one and things eventually really blow up in her face. I'm hopeful that this time the change will stick, but if it doesn't then the third book in the series may just be my last.

For someone so smart, Rebecca sure is dumb and that started to really get on my nerves. Her recklessness just wasn't funny anymore. There are some funny moments, but it was a bit harder for me to get through this book. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Hee hee, what a delightful fluffy perfect summer read! And in only two days!! I started this book Saturday and finished it up just now. Just flew through it. Let's see if I remember anything now.

This is the second book in the Shopaholic series, following Confessions of a Shopaholic. It picks up roughly six months after Becky's ultimate debt fall and spring back up onto her feet.

She's dating Luke Brandon. She's got a permanent spot on morning telly handing out advice to people. She's loving life and living large. Too large, yet again. Oh, Becky, Becky, Becky. Not only does her debt increase but the crazy Tom and Lucy - son and daughter-in-law of her parent's neighbors Martin and Janice - think she's gone bonkers because Luke doesn't show up to Tom and Lucy's wedding until it's almost too late.

There he asks if she wants to go to New York with him while he works on a PR deal. She goes and literally shops her heart out. Throwing all caution to the wind (in the beginning she's struck up a deal with dear flat mate, but equally confused about money, Suze, that she'll run every purchase past her). She practically buys out New York.

Alicia, Luke's cow of an VP, digs and digs after finding Becky's bills (she accidentally left them on his assistant's desk) and leaks the news to the British press. Suddenly, Luke's saying Becky ruined his career, Becky's own career as a financial guru is down the drain - how can you counsel others on finances when you can't keep up with you're own? Suddenly she's like the plague. No one wants her.

But because she's awesome and Becky and creative, she and Suze and Tarquin come up with an ingenious plan to raise funds and pay off her bills.

And she starts over again. Going back to New York and settling down.

That's all I'm going to say about the plot - there's more going on of course but it's a fun read and I don't want to spoil it all for you.

Other than having yet another financial crisis, and alluding to a third financial crisis for the third installment, the book is fun and fresh and there is a part of you that does feel like you really want to just spend willy nilly. I mean, who wouldn't want to go nuts at a sample sale with Prada bags for 60 to 75% off? I know I'd probably pass out. I could barely walk out of Dillards when my husband purchased my Lucky leather satchel for my Christmas present because I thought it was too much ($150). And I have a faux Coach purse that I got for free (and I love it!).

But it's just fun living vicariously through Becky without having her debt. I think that's why I ultimately like these two shopaholic books. I can shop, shop, shop and not gain the clutter or the debt.

Good for summer reading! ( )
  wendithegray | May 1, 2017 |
For Gemma, who has always known the importance to a girl of a Denny and George scarf
OK, don't panic.

The irresistible heroine of Confessions of a Shopaholic and Shopaholic Ties the Knot is back! And this time Becky Bloomwood and her credit cards are headed across the Atlantic....
With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky's biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to pack light. But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he's moving to New York for business--and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say "Prada sample sale," Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury boutiques.
Surely it's only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky's bills miles away in London. But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line! Shopaholic Takes Manhattan--but will she have to return it?

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0440241812, Mass Market Paperback)

With her shopping excesses (somewhat) in check and her career as a TV financial guru thriving, Becky’s biggest problem seems to be tearing her entrepreneur boyfriend, Luke, away from work for a romantic country weekend. And worse, figuring out how to pack light. But packing takes on a whole new meaning when Luke announces he’s moving to New York for business—and he asks Becky to go with him! Before you can say “Prada sample sale,” Becky has landed in the Big Apple, home of Park Avenue penthouses and luxury boutiques.

Surely it’s only a matter of time until she becomes an American TV celebrity, and she and Luke are the toast of Gotham society. Nothing can stand in their way, especially with Becky’s bills miles away in London. But then an unexpected disaster threatens her career prospects, her relationship with Luke, and her available credit line! Shopaholic Takes Manhattan—but will she have to return it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:23 -0400)

TV financial guru Becky Bloomwood has finally paid off her debts and credit card bills, until her boyfriend, Luke, invites her to accompany him when he moves to New York, and she discovers sample sales, power lunches, and Fifth Avenue.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,344,111 books! | Top bar: Always visible