Hilo Book 1: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth by…

Hilo Book 1: The Boy Who Crashed to Earth

by Judd Winick

Series: Hilo (1)

The series centers around a character called HiLo (arguments could be made that it's written Hilo or HILO) who crash lands onto earth (and into our hearts) with The Boy Who Crashed to Earth. The title pretty much says it, right? HiLo looks like your typical kid except that he's super strong and extremely weird. He doesn't get why clothes are mandatory or that not everyone has superpowers like he does. Luckily, he makes friends with D.J. who is more than happy to show him the ropes and to absolutely have his back...even if that means fighting robots from another dimension. ( )
  AliceaP | Nov 11, 2017 |
I think the story was ok. The art was not appealing at all. I am married to an animator though, so I am a harsh critic of art. My kids loved it. If I were basing it solely on if I think a child would enjoy it, then yes, 5 stars. But I don't feel like it is anything special. I would be a little disappointed it this book won the graphic novel beehive award.
Sorry Judd Winick! I'm sorry. So harsh. I know. Keep up the good work. Just- maybe give your characters pupils. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
In a word, outstanding! ( )
  SESchend | Sep 6, 2017 |
DJ's best friend moved away and he is sad. Soon, he finds Hilo an Alien that crashed to Earth. DJ tries to teach Hilo the ways of Earth. They become friends. Hilo ends up being able to go to school with DJ. DJ finds out that his friend has come back to school. Soon DJ and Gina find out the Hilo came to Earth because he was afraid of a different aliend. DJ, Gina, and Hilo work together to save Hilo. A fun fast paced graphic novel that kids will enjoy.
  cwumluna | Jul 17, 2017 |
Recommended Ages: Gr. 3-6

Plot Summary: DJ isn't feeling very confident in himself, but when he discovers Hilo in a hole near the ground, his life at least has meaning for a bit. The two hit it off running, literally, and DJ welcomes Hilo into his house, gives him food and clothes, and tries to teach him how things work on earth in his life. But Hilo has his own way of doing things and manages to find a way to register himself at DJs school. DJ is shocked to learn another new student, his old friend Gina, is also at school. DJ and Gina work together to figure out where Hilo came from, what he's doing on earth, and what they should do next, especially once Hilo realizes that he left his other world because he was scared of Razorwark, the powerful enemy on his planet.

Setting: somewhere near open somewhat secluded space but not farmland

Characters:
DJ - isn't good at anything and feels sorry for himself for it, comes from a big, loud family, thinks he was only good at being Gina's friend, very nice, loyal to his friends
Gina Cooper - DJ's best friend who moved away a few years ago, quick to get back to her friendship with DJ
Hilo - shows up in his underwear in a hole in the ground near a forest, quirky, speaks the same language as DJ, can literally be smashed to pieces and put together again

Recurring Themes: friendship, fitting in, hero

Controversial Issues: none

Personal Thoughts: I'm such a wimp! There were a few times in this short book that I could have put it down because the suspense was too much for me at that moment. But I stuck with it. Characters are well developed. This book will be a huge hit with kids.

Genre: fantasy

Pacing: fast, read it within an hour, lots of action and suspense
Characters:
Frame:
Storyline:

Activity: ( )
  pigeonlover | Apr 19, 2017 |

Introducing HILO—a funny, action-packed, full-color new middle-grade graphic novel series that Bone creator Jeff Smith calls “delightful.”

D.J. and his friend Gina are totally normal kids. But that was before a mysterious boy came crashing down from the sky! Hilo doesn’t know where he came from, or what he’s doing on Earth. (Or why going to school in only your underwear is a bad idea!) . . . But what if Hilo wasn’t the only thing to fall to our planet? Can the trio unlock the secrets of his past? Can Hilo survive a day at school? And are D.J. and Gina ready to save the world?

HILO is Calvin and Hobbes meets Big Nate and is just right for fans of Bone and comic books as well as laugh-out-loud school adventures like Jedi Academy and Wimpy Kid!

Praise for HILO
“Every kid would love a pal like HILO, and every kid will love this book!” —Lincoln Peirce, bestselling author of the Big Nate series

“HILO is delightful, silly, tender, and most importantly: funny.” —Jeff Smith, bestselling author of the Bone series

"HILO is loads of slapstick fun with a touch of tenderness that kids will love."--Dan Santat, Caldecott Medal Winner

"High energy and HILARIOUS!"--Gene Luen Yang, winner of the Printz and Eisner Awards, two time National Book Award Finalist

"A perfect book for any kid who ever needed a friend and then had one with superpowers fall from space.” —Seth Meyers, actor, comedian and writer

* "Universally appealing. A wholeheartedly weird and wonderful tale of friendship, acceptance, and robots."—Kirkus Reviews, Starred Review

"The most enjoyable hero to hit the library shelves in years. Good clean laser-beams-coming-outta-your-hands fun for the whole family."—http://blogs.slj.com/afuse8production/

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Jul 2015 20:53:16 -0400)

"When a mysterious boy falls from the sky, friends D.J. and Gina must discover the secrets of his identity and help him save the world"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,995,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible