Depth by Lev AC Rosen

Depth

by Lev AC Rosen

English (5)  German (1)  All (6)
I've had this on my TBR list for quite some time so I am glad to have finally got around to reading it. That said, it's a short book that took me far longer than it should have because I just didn't find the mystery all that compelling (something that surprised me because the summary really sounded promising). My favorite thing about this was the setting which I still want to know more about. I don't know if I'd recommend this one for mystery fans as it's pretty bland on that level. I would read another by Rosen as I think he's got interesting ideas and a good take on climate fiction settings & world-building. ( )
  anissaannalise | May 13, 2018 |
Depth by Lev AC Rosen is a recommended detective novel set in a future NYC. Simone Pierce is a private investigator who, when the story opens, is "on the roof of a twenty-four-story building, so the ocean lay four stories down, churning just below the twenty-first floor. The fog was thick, but she could hear the waves lapping at the other buildings around her, and the worn wooden bridges that connected them to one another and to the permanently moored boats that made up New York City. New York, city of bridges and boats."

Simone is on a routine surveillance case of a husband suspected of cheating when she takes on a second job, escorting Alejandro DeCostas around the city. DeCostas is a visiting European archaeologist who wants to explore NYC looking for a rumored building that is water tight and dry below the sea level. While working both jobs, the surveillance case morphs into something else and takes on a life of its own. Simone is assisted in her inquiries by her friends, Caroline Khan, deputy major, Danny, a fugitive human computer, and Paul Weiss, a cop.

What is interesting and has great potential at the beginning is the setting - NYC under water and cut off from the rest of a vastly changed USA. Rosen writes:
"New York, though technically still part of the United States, had long begun to consider itself its own country, hundreds of miles from the Chicago coastline and the conservative, religious mainland. The Washington Monument and Lincoln Memorial had been airlifted to Salt Lake City, but no one tried moving New York. All the other drowned cities, like DC and Boston, were graveyards now—spires and flat tops of buildings tilting out unevenly from under the water like old headstones. Not New York. Though some older buildings had been worn away by the waves, others, retrofitted and laminated in that technological wonder Glassteel, stayed where they were as the ocean rose, closing off the bottom floors as they filled with water. There were newer buildings, too, designed to withstand the water, and decommissioned boats clever entrepreneurs had bought and moored around the city. There were a million New Yorkers left, and they were stubborn. They built the bridges themselves, and everyone bought personal algae generators and desalination filters for their apartments, stringing them out the windows into the sea. They reassembled their city. They stayed."

The potential for an intriguing story is all in place. The problem is Rosen has this great setting but neglects to make full use of it. The detective/mystery story is solid, but could easily be transferred to another setting, with some minor changes, and work just as well. This left me with a dilemma. I chose to review Depth based on the setting. The detective story is well written and satisfying but I kept longing for more information on the world. The search for a dry building underwater could just as easily be a search for a secret cache of some other treasure. This reduces the mystery to a formulaic plot that just happens to be set in a changed world and nothing in the plot elevated it above that for me.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of Regan Arts for review purposes.

SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
If Dashiell Hammett was still writing detective fiction after the polar ice caps melted maybe this is the book he would have written. It certainly has the feel of a noir detective novel like [The Maltese Falcon]. I ripped through this book in about 24 hours.

Picture New York City after the polar ice caps all melt and the ocean level rises so only highrises above 21 stories stick out of the water. That is the world of this book and it seems eerily possible. Inhabitants of NYC decided to continue living in the buildings that projected above sea level. Because of their distance from the mainland US with its restrictions they have a unique lifestyle. Simone Pierce can earn a good living as a private investigator and she is good at what she does. At the start of the book she is tailing a man whose wife suspects he is having an affair and his meeting with a beautiful blonde seems to bear that out. But there is something unusual about this meeting and Simone doesn't think it involves sex. When the husband is shot while Simone is tailing him she is sure something else is up. Her investigation continues even when she is suspected of his murder.

Clever and well-written. ( )
  gypsysmom | Jun 14, 2015 |
Think you wanna get this book(you know you do) Check out Amazon, or wanna find more review before buying this book check out GoodReads or even check out Author page, the author herself for other books and updates on when the next one comes out!

This a ‘ARC” copy eBook supplied by Netgalley. I am not receiving any monetary

benefit or any kickback for this review. I received this Galley for an honest review.

Depth is a dystopian mystery where the main character is a private investigator and her simple routine surveillance job becomes much more complicated. In a post apocalyptic flooded word where dry land is a myth.

Rosen drew me in like a moth to a flame. I was hooked from the first sentence. Depth is combination of gritty realism and dystopian fantasy. The combo is a good mesh that helps the world be more real. The incorporation of nautical terms, and describing the different types of bridges used was a great way to describe the world. His way with description of all the elements, such as the crashing waves, the perpetual fog, and what the character saw immersed me into the story. Depth is a fresh look to a well-used genre. The story was well thought out and plausible.

Simone the main character is a good mix of hero and antihero. She is tough, sexy and she knows it. She is confident in herself, and her job. The only thing that rubbed me was the fact that she didn’t trust no one, not even her friends. I think her paranoia was on the extreme scale. It could have been toned down just a bit and I would been happy. On a side note, I would love a gritty story where the character is happy go lucky not cynical and standoffish. But Simone was a good fit for this story. I loved the fact that ¾ of the characters was female. Not only were they female, but they were strong, independent women. There was no damsels in distress, well besides a quick one but it’s not really a D.I.D(damsel in distress) moment.

All in All, Depth is a fresh take on dystopian fantasy. Rosen is a definite author to watch and love. Go for and get this book. It’s a great book to get lost in. I rate this 5 out of 5 flooded buildings. Its only 272 pages long. It took me approximately 3 hours to read. This is based on my reading speed. I cross post on Amazon, Goodreads and my blog www.nihilsedtempus.wordpress.com. ( )
  MandyLou07 | Jun 8, 2015 |
I read this book as an electronic advance reading copy provided by NetGalley, and I have submitted my comments to the publisher via that web site.

The setting is brilliant--a dystopian future where sea levels have risen up to the 21st floor of buildings in New York City--but the plot is a classic/hackneyed hard boiled detective story. The mystery is marginally interesting, the characters are barely believable, and the writing is half formed. Recommended only for NYC libraries for its interesting vision of the future of the city. ( )
  librarianarpita | Apr 13, 2015 |

"Combines hardboiled mystery and dystopian science fiction in a future where the rising ocean levels have left New York twenty-one stories under water and cut off from the rest of the United States. But the city survives, and Simone Pierce is one of its best private investigators. Her latest case, running surveillance on a potentially unfaithful husband, was supposed to be easy. Then her target is murdered, and the search for his killer points Simone towards a secret from the past that can't possibly be real--but that won't stop the city's most powerful men and women from trying to acquire it for themselves, with Simone caught in the middle"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,553,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible