That Summer by Sarah Dessen

That Summer

by Sarah Dessen

This is a nice young teen read. Haven is just 15 and her world is coming apart. Her father has divorced her mother and is getting married again. Her sister, Ashley has dumped the boy Haven though was perfect, and is marring a so-so boy. A new neighbor has moved in and become her mother's new best friend. Her best friend, Casy has went to 4H camp and came back a different person. When her sisters old boyfriend comes back into the picture and after Ashley and her have a talk about what really happen back them. She is finally able to see the future in a clearer light. ( )
  love2cook | Jan 5, 2016 |
This book was mediocre. It wasn't up the same par as other Sarah Dessen books were. I was waiting for some relationship to form between Haven and Sumner, but nothing came of it. It was a rather short book as well. Definitely not the best book, but it wasn't bad. I could see this book being more for preteens than Sarah Dessen's other books are. ( )
  rabidmunkee | Nov 7, 2014 |

Well, compared to her other novels that is, the sign of great things to come...... ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
3.5/5

Not my favorite Dessen but I enjoyed it.

Full review on my blog www.the-book-tower.blogspot.co.uk ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
"That Summer" is an example of a well thought out inspiring novel. Haven is a sixteen year old girl dueling her social life. An old boyfriend of Ashley, Haven's sister, reenters her life, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grope with the future. An emotional climax that is unforgettable to any reader sneaks up on Haven and I. Funny moments that I endured. And an ending that left me shocked. Sure, one of her early works, but forget that. This is truly a work of art.

This book also bored me. Between the meat of the plot in this is a little weak and it almost made me put this book down. But I came through and I finished the book. And a four star rating is fair to this because overall, this is a book that makes us do and be great. ( )
  br14nama | Oct 23, 2013 |
At Every Wedding Someone Stays Home

This one sits all morning
beside the picture window,
staring out at the lawn
which in these situations
is always under a sheet of ice,
even in June. The girl is wearing
her quilted robe, gloves,
fur-lined slippers. Still she can't
get warm. Her mother gets hot
just watching her, so she goes out
for groceries,makes a great show
when she returns of rattling
the brown paper bags she saves
to line the bird cage.
Now she is running water,
peeling melons, humming, arranging
daisies. We who are watching
want the mother to quit making noise,
to stop chopping fruit, to leave
the kitchen. We want her to walk
down the hall to the closet
where wool blankets are stored.
We want her to gather five or six,
the solids, the stripes,
the MacGregor plaids and tuck them
under her daughter's legs, saving one
for her feet and one for her thin shoulders.
Now we want her to heat water for tea,
bring in wood and quick
before her daughter freezes
seal all the windows
against the stray, chill peal of bells.
-Dannye Romine Powell
To my parents, for their faith and patience, and to Jay, for everything else
It's funny how one summer can change everything.
Sweetheart is the German title for "That Summer."

For fifteen-year-old Haven, life is changing too quickly. She's nearly six feet tall, her father is getting remarried, and her sister&150the always perfect Ashley&150is planning a wedding of her own. Haven wishes things could just go back to the way they were. Then an old boyfriend of Ashley's reenters the picture, and through him, Haven sees the past for what it really was, and comes to grips with the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

During the summer of her divorced father's remarriage and her sister's wedding, fifteen-year-old Haven comes into her own by letting go of the myths of the past.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,885,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible