Sacrificed (The Last Oracle) (Volume 1) by…

Sacrificed (The Last Oracle) (Volume 1)

by Emily Wibberley

I have very mixed feelings about this book. Despite the buildup of reading the synopsis, the beginning dragged for me: it's clear Clio, the child-to-be-oracle, hates her mother and lives in a very sterile environment of a temple without love. But this beginning somehow did not make me care deeply about her and her future. I think this is what killed the rest of the book for me...somehow I didn't care deeply what happened to her.

She experiences lots of conflict, but you know she will get out of the mess and sure enough she does...I guess it felt too prescriptive and predictable. I felt like we see her in various situations but they did not flow together. They just felt like a character being tested and I just didn't care...

Overall, the writing was pretty good, but I'd say the story arc needs a bit of work. For a debut novel, this was a good attempt and I know the author will improve with time. ( )
  L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
Sigue hacia abajo para encontrar la reseña en español.

I got this review copy from NetGalley.

The first thing that got me interested in this book was the cover, which is beautiful. Then, I read the synopsis and got very curious. It's a book that has oracles, told from the point of view of an oracle. So far, all the stories with oracles that I had read had the oracles as secondary characters. They may have played a key role in some part of the story, but they had never been the main characters. In this story, we see the oracle's life and her frustration about the lack of context of her visions. She is shown the what, but she doesn't know the when or the why.

Something that I liked a lot about Sacrificed is that the love triangle works and doesn't feel forced. Clio hasn't grown up surrounded by men, as the only people who participate in the oracle cult are women. She had one male childhood friend, who she hasn’t seen in several years. After seeing him again, both realise that they have grown up and that their relationship may have shifted from friendship to at least physical attraction. Then she meets another young man, who she does fall in love with. As this doesn't happen the moment she meets him -she only finds him interesting at first- and her confusion about her feelings is explained, the whole situation is much more natural than in many other YA novels.

There's one thing that I hope to see explained in further novels and that's the world's religion. The deities are always mentioned in plural, so I'm guessing that there's more than one god, but beyond this, there's not much information about them or the people's faith. There aren't even many things that point to their existence, other than the oracles' visions and a few things that happen in the oracle's temple. I'm keeping this intentionally vague to avoid giving spoilers, as it happens at the end of the book, but there's nothing that actually points to an intervention by a higher power. In fact, what happens can be considered just magic. Also, I didn't really understand what the vessels were for. Clio doesn't have any and she manages to live without them, so they don't seem to be necessary. This lack of explanations make sense in the context of the story, as Clio has rejected everything related to the oracle and doesn't want anything to do with it, until the rest of her family is killed and she's the one who inherits the powers of the oracle. Still, I'm very curious about this.

Even though it's the first part of a series, this story can be read as a stand-alone. There are some clues about how it will continue, but the main adventure is over when you reach the last page of this book and I liked that. I don't mind cliff-hangers, but I don't want to wait a lot to see them resolved.

--------------------------------------------------​

Lo primero que me interesó de este libro fue la portada, que es muy bonita. Luego leí la sinopsis y me entró mucha curiosidad. Es un libro que trata de oráculos, narrado desde el punto de vista de un oráculo. Hasta ahora, todas las historias con oráculos que había leído, tenían a los oráculos como personajes secundarios. Puede que tuvieran un papel clave en alguna parte de la historia, pero nunca habían sido los protagonistas. En esta historia vemos la vida del oráculo y su frustración ante la falta de contexto de sus visiones. Sabe el qué, pero no el cuándo o el por qué.

Algo que me gustó mucho de Sacrificed es que el triángulo amoroso no parece forzado. Clio no ha crecido rodeada de hombres, ya que las únicas personas que participan en el culto del oráculo son mujeres. Sólo tuvo un único amigo chico, al que no ha visto desde hace varios años. Al verlo de nuevo, ambos se dan cuenta de que han crecido y de que su relación ha cambiado de amistad a al menos atracción física. Luego conoce a otro joven del que se enamora. Dado que esto no ocurre en el mismo momento en el que lo conoce -al principio sólo lo encuentra interesante- y que se explica su confusión sobre sus sentimientos, la situación es mucho más natural que en muchas otras novelas juveniles.

Hay algo que espero que se explique en las siguientes novelas y es la religión del mundo. Los dioses siempre se mencionan en plural, así que supongo que hay más de un dios, pero aparte de eso no hay mucha información sobre ellos o la fe de la gente. Ni siquiera hay muchas cosas que sugieran su existencia, salvo las visiones de los oráculos y algunas cosas que ocurren en el templo del oráculo. Estoy dejando esto impreciso a propósito para evitar spoilers, ya que ocurre al final del libro, pero no hay nada que realmente apunte a una intervención de un poder superior. De hecho, lo que ocurre se puede considerar simplemente magia. Además, no terminé de entender para qué servían los recipientes. Clio no tiene ninguno y consigue vivir sin ellos, así que no parece que sean necesarios. Esta falta de explicaciones tiene sentido en el contexto de la historia, porque Clio ha dado la espalda a todo lo relacionado con el oráculo y no quiere tener nada que ver con ello hasta que asesinan al resto de su familia y ella es la que hereda los poderes del oráculo. Aún así, tengo mucha curiosidad.

Aunque es la primera parte de una serie, esta historia se puede leer como autoconclusiva. Hay alguna pista de cómo puede continuar, pero la aventura principal acaba cuando llegas a la última página de este libro y eso me gustó. No me importan los finales abiertos y que se quedan en tensión, pero no quiero esperar mucho tiempo a ver cómo se resuelven. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
Sacrificed by Emily Wibberly

Fifteen year old Clio is the youngest of four daughters, the daughter of The Oracle of Sheehan. When her mother and sisters are murdered by Mannix the King, she becomes the Oracle. She does not understand what her powers are or her position as the oracle, but she does know she has to keep it a secret or she will be killed. Riece, an enemy warrior befriends her and she now reluctantly feels he is the only one she can trust. She has visions of Mannix overtaking Sheenan and it comes down to one thing. She must make a huge sacrifice to save her land.

I really enjoyed this story. The plot is original, exciting, and intense. Clio is very likable, and I liked the way she handle her situation. Also likable is Riece, the unlikely pair become good friends and build a camaraderie. There is a bit of romance which adds some spice to the story. Well written the story flows with enough action, drama, romance, friendship, heart felt decisions and sacrifice. Overall I find that Young Adult as well as Adult lovers of fantasy will enjoy Sacrificed. ( )
  SheriAWilkinson | Mar 11, 2016 |
~Thank you to the author for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review~

Sacrificed was an epic read, and I enjoyed every moment.

Clio and Riece were amazing characters. I loved their relationship, although I did feel that it was rather strange that it just started all of a sudden, and I didn't really feel a build up besides the synopsis. Besides that, I loved Sacrificed.

Sacrificed really developed, and during the book I got to see a lot of the characters, the plot, the storyline, and how it all fit together. I was quite surprised at the length of Sacrificed, and how much Emily Wibberley managed to cram into what I thought was quite a short book.

Overall, I definitely rate Sacrificed, and I recommend you reading it. I can't wait to continue the series and read Forsworn. I have high expectations, but I'm sure Emily Wibberley will fulfil them. ( )
  Cass_Rose | Sep 19, 2015 |
This book blew my mind.

I put this on my TBR list back in January because it looked like it was going to be a good read and then it was promptly buried under the sheer overwhelming force that is my TBR list. Then I came across it on NetGalley and, quite literally, jumped at the chance.

Clio is the youngest, and fourth, daughter of the Oracle of Sheehan. Clio has never been close to her Mother and one by one, the same is happening with her sisters as they all enter into the servitude of the Oracle. When, finally, Clio loses her sister Ali to their Mother and the Deities, she vows never to allow her mother to change her the way she has her sisters and runs away. That night, Clio's Mother and two older sisters are brutally murdered and her sister Ali is taken by the King's (very creepy) adviser, Mannix. As a result, Clio is forced to shoulder the burden that was once her Mother's: she becomes the Oracle.

Desperate to rescue her sister, and best friend, Clio sets out for Morak, a city in which being an Oracle is punishable by death, in hopes that she can get there before it's too late, but she makes it to the City just in time to witness her sister's execution. It is there, in the cells under the Pyramid of Morak that she meets Oracle-hating Commander Riece, whom she must learn to trust, and convince him to trust her, in order to survive and save Sheehan from the ambitions of Mannix.

I loved this book from the moment I started reading it, and once I had, I didn't want to put it down. I've already said that I spent the day at work with my Kindle hidden behind my computer screens just so I could keep reading it without my boss seeing me. There wasn't a dull moment in this book. Emily Wibberley seems to have mastered the art of weeding out unnecessary scenes which add nothing to the story and can often become boring. Every scene was carefully crafted and contributed to the overall plot and kept the story flowing wonderfully.

Clio's character is delightful to read, and she does't change so much as grows and matures through-out the book which is wonderful to watch. She grows from a cynical girl who sees her mother's calling as a bit of a sham into a powerful young woman who holds her own, saves the day and can fully accept her calling in life.

Derik and Riece, our respective love interests actually manage to step outside of the mold and to have a personality of their own and a role to play besides being in love with the main character. It's refreshing to see. In fact, a few of the minor characters are just as memorable: Riece's younger sister is a great motivator for his character but also provides great comic relief and a nice break from the action of the rest of the book.

The world building is great. We don't get to see much of the world in general, admittedly, as the story centers around Morak and Sheehan, but Wibberley throws out the names of a few places that I'm hoping we get to see in the next books. Besides that, she keeps it fairly simple which makes it much easier for you to immerse yourself in the world; it's easier to connect with a story when you don't spend half a book trying to get your head around the world, it's population and it's politics. The untouched were a wonderfully scary addition.

In the end, you're left wanting more. I know I certainly was and I cannot wait for the second book.

That ending, though! Talk about emotional overload!!

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LydiaLeigh257 | Apr 29, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Emily Wibberley's book Sacrificed: The Last Oracle (Book 1) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Emily Wibberley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,200,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible