The Fine Art of Deception: Undoing Time by…

The Fine Art of Deception: Undoing Time

by Alyssa Richards

The Fine Art of Deception is a paranormal story about Adeline, or Addie, who has the ability to read objects and 'see' their history. This makes her perfect for the job of art evaluator. She gets a job at her family's old firm and is drawn into a plot involving forgeries, murder, and the stolen art from the famous Gardner heist. Addie is also haunted by her past lives with her soul mate, Jack, and by real ghosts.
Blake is an art gallery owner who is secretly working with the FBI to catch the thieves and uses Addie to help him in his quest.
I don't want to give too much away although some of the plot points remain unresolved for the next book in the series to solve. I found the beginning of the story slow and Addie kind of whiney, but I persevered and found that the book got much better though there were still too many plot holes to make this much of a mystery.
I didn't understand what the ghosts had to do with the story. They could have been left out, especially Frank, as they didn't really add to the story. I also didn't understand why Addie had been out of work and not having sex for seven years (since her fiance cheated on her). Maybe a couple of years, but she needed to get over it. Of course, she's apparently wealthy since there is detailed descriptions of her designer clothes, etc., but considering her angst over her last job, I would have thought she would have worked harder to find a new job before seven years went by.
Of course, when she and Blake finally get together, the sex is explosive. There is one more 'twist' before the end where Blake decides he knows what's better for Addie, but otherwise the story was fairly predictable. Still, the writing was good and I enjoyed the descriptions of the art world enough that I grabbed the second book. I received a copy of this book for an honest review. ( )
  N.W.Moors | Oct 2, 2016 |
Adeline Montgomery and Blake Greenwood come from families with paranormal abilities. Addie can touch an item and get visuals that link to the creator, owner or what happened surrounding the item. Blake is a pusher able to influence those around him. They both seem to be able to “feel” the supernatural and experience ghosts to varying degrees. And, they have experienced lifetimes together in the past.

In this book Addie finds a job in the business that her grandfather helped establish. Both her father and grandfather disappeared mysteriously at some point in the past – perhaps related to the business. Otto Albrecht, a rather shady character, now owns the business and utilizes it for his nefarious purposes.

Told in first person from Addie’s viewpoint the story tells of good and evil and has paranormal aspects, suspense, ghosts, romance, intrigue and more. I want to know more about the families of Adeline and Blake and wonder if they will get their happily ever after in this lifetime or just a happy for now.

Thank you to the author for the copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  CathyGeha | Jul 25, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,395,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible