The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

The Truth About Forever (2004)

by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (f_ing_kangaroo, avid_reader25)
    Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another incredible book examining the loss of a parent, and the "catalysts" that propel us to wade through our grief -- and emerge on the other side.

I read this in about 2011, maybe early 2012..these last couple years have gone by so fast I can't remember..Lol..but I believe it was 2011

I thought I had added it to my list, but I guess not..

I do remember really loving this book. I've tried to get to her other ones but couldn't get into at the time so I decided to wait until I wanted a contemporary read.

But I did love all of the characters, the story, well, I just loved the whole thing and just flew through it! :-) ( )
  obridget2 | May 14, 2017 |
This book follows Macy through her summer vacation as she deals with her grief over losing her father, her mother who is dealing with her own grief, breaking up from her boyfriend, and working in a job that she hates. As the summer continues on, she finds happiness in new friends, a new job in a catering company, and a new boy who works at the catering company. As things start to take a turn for the better, her mother starts to deal with her grief by cutting Macy off from everything that she is starting to enjoy. Her sister has decided that by remodeling their late father's beach house will help all the family deal with their grief. Macy's mother finally starts releasing her grip on Macy's life when Macy and her catering company save the night when things go bad for the open house the Mom's company is throwing. Macy officially starts to date the new guy and all things are happy again. This book is a favorite of mine and Sarah Dessen is a favorite teen author of mine. Though this book may not be appropriate for younger grades, I definitely could see if being used in Middle and High School classes. This book is written so that the reader feels a connection with the characters. You are able to connect the character's experiences to one's own life experiences. The book does not have any adult like concepts that would need to be censored. This book could definitely be used in a classroom as a choice for a book to read during book club.
  LaurenBrow | Dec 7, 2016 |
a good book if bored and need something to read. ( )
  katcoviello | Sep 21, 2016 |
Another of my favorites by Dessen. This story is so heart breaking and warm at the same time. It's about grieving and trying to move on. Love it! ( )
  vilmarietl | Jul 16, 2016 |
For Jay, as ever, and for my cousins who, like me, know by heart the view of the river and the bay, the complex rules of Beckon, and all the ways you Can't Get to Heaven, to name you all would be a book in itself: you know who you are.
Jason was going to Brain Camp.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142406252, Paperback)

With her sixth novel, award-winning author Sarah Dessen offers up another generous helping of finely crafted storytelling about real teens dealing with real life. In The Truth About Forever, when asked how she is coping with her father's death, invariably seventeen year old Macy Queen's answer is "fine," when nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality, she is drowning in grief while maintaining a flawless façade of good grades and unblemished behavior. Though she feels lost when her boyfriend heads to "Brain Camp" for the summer, she finds herself a job with the quirky Wish Catering crew, and meets "sa-woon"-worthy Wes, whose chaotic lifestyle is in direct opposition to her own. As the two share their stories over the summer, Macy realizes she can no longer keep her feelings on ice. Though it feels like her future endedwith her dad's death, Macy's learns that forever is all about beginnings. Dessen charts Macy's navigation of grief in such an honest way it will touch every reader who meets her. All of the Dessen trademarks are here: a girl in transition, a wonderfully fleshed out cast of secondary characters, and of course, the luminous, powerful writing itself. The Truth About Forever will more than satisfy Dessen's legion of fans, and will win her countless more as well. Highly recommended. (Ages 12 and up) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The summer following her father's death, Macy plans to work at the library and wait for her brainy boyfriend to return from camp, but instead she goes to work at a catering business where she makes new friends and finally faces her grief.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,359,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible