The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

The Truth About Forever (2004)

by Sarah Dessen

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (f_ing_kangaroo, avid_reader25)
    Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another incredible book examining the loss of a parent, and the "catalysts" that propel us to wade through our grief -- and emerge on the other side.

I've found that I've enjoyed her books that I have read, and this is no exception. This is a good book about learning how to deal with grief and moving on with life. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I read this in about 2011, maybe early 2012..these last couple years have gone by so fast I can't remember..Lol..but I believe it was 2011

I thought I had added it to my list, but I guess not..

I do remember really loving this book. I've tried to get to her other ones but couldn't get into at the time so I decided to wait until I wanted a contemporary read.

But I did love all of the characters, the story, well, I just loved the whole thing and just flew through it! :-) ( )
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
The Truth About Forever is my first Sarah Dessen book. I know she’s a really popular author in YA circles, but her books just don’t sound like my kind of thing. However, this book was on clearance at Books-a-Million and I couldn’t resist. I’m so glad I didn’t try to, because The Truth About Forever was a really moving book that hit close to home for me.

Within the first couple of chapters in the book, we find out that Macy’s dad died the year before, which is partially what leads to Macy chasing perfection and trying to control her life so closely. I really loved reading about Macy’s relationship with her dad. I thought Dessen did a perfect job of capturing their relationship and what Macy was going through. I’ve lost a parent too, and even though Dessen very rarely showed us a full scope of Macy’s emotion, she crafted the words in such a way that her grieving was quite evident in a subtle way, which I appreciated.

Macy was my favorite character in the book, but she’s also just one of my favorite characters I’ve read this year because she’s one of those rare characters I feel like gets me. Macy and I have such a similar reaction to grief and control and perfection. I’m pretty sure I’ve said verbatim some of the dialogue that came out of Macy’s mouth to my family and friends, especially in high school. It was until my sophomore year of college that it really got better for me, so the entire time I just wanted to hug Macy and tell her it’s okay to not be perfect, to not always be in control, and sometimes that can even be a good thing. I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but if you’re really curious what high school Stormy was like, just read this book and substitute “Macy” with “Stormy”(except for the romance bit– I didn’t have a jerky boyfriend like Jeremy!)

Even though I really loved the characters in this book, it wasn’t perfect for me. It reminds me quite a bit of how I felt about Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan. The Truth About Forever is a beautiful book, but the plot didn’t compel me the way some other contemporaries have. I think it might be because I’ve never been much for “summer” books. That being said, I did really love all the workers at the catering company, and how Macy found a place there.

The Truth About Forever has a bit of a timeless quality to it as well– I got the feeling it could take place in the summer of 2013 or the summer of 1993. I don’t think it’s a book that will ever feel terribly dated, which definitely contributed to my enjoyment of it.

Final Impression: This book is well-written, the characters resonated with me, but yet I didn’t LOVE it or even REALLY like it– I just LIKED it. It’s a good Summer read that’s not too light(Macy deals with some issues such as grief), but not too serious either, and it definitely has a summer-read quality to it. 3/5 stars.

Review originally posted on my blog at Book.Blog.Bake. ( )
  Stormydawnc | Jun 23, 2014 |
The Truth about Forever is an average book that I have read. Its not the best and but its also far from the worst. This book is about a teenage girl named Macy. Her life is complicated but she keeps it inside and hides behind her true self. New friends and new experiences changes how Macy goes about everything and there's drama to follow that.
While I was reading this book there was only a few times I got excited or anxious for a part. It defiantly wasn't a nail bitter kind of book. It was just average and just a book to read. I wouldn't recommend this book to someone who loves action and crazy drama. This is more romance. It was very slow and only picked up a few times. This defiantly wasn't the best book that Sarah Dessen wrote but its good. Even though I didn't like some of the parts in the book, there was some good parts. Sarah Dessen did a good job of telling mini stories in the story and that kept it interesting. Also I liked the characters in the story and how she made there personalities so big and funny. Even though this wasn't the best book I have read its still at least 3 stars out of five. ( )
  br14krsu | Jun 5, 2014 |
I can't remember whether I've read Sarah Dessen before, but I really enjoyed this. Complex characters, well developed psychology, and a good message, without being cloying or obviously predictable. Well done.

Two f-bombs from one character in one scene. Otherwise clean.

More on this and other reviews on fefferbooks.com. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
For Jay, as ever, and for my cousins who, like me, know by heart the view of the river and the bay, the complex rules of Beckon, and all the ways you Can't Get to Heaven, to name you all would be a book in itself: you know who you are.
Jason was going to Brain Camp.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142406252, Paperback)

With her sixth novel, award-winning author Sarah Dessen offers up another generous helping of finely crafted storytelling about real teens dealing with real life. In The Truth About Forever, when asked how she is coping with her father's death, invariably seventeen year old Macy Queen's answer is "fine," when nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality, she is drowning in grief while maintaining a flawless façade of good grades and unblemished behavior. Though she feels lost when her boyfriend heads to "Brain Camp" for the summer, she finds herself a job with the quirky Wish Catering crew, and meets "sa-woon"-worthy Wes, whose chaotic lifestyle is in direct opposition to her own. As the two share their stories over the summer, Macy realizes she can no longer keep her feelings on ice. Though it feels like her future endedwith her dad's death, Macy's learns that forever is all about beginnings. Dessen charts Macy's navigation of grief in such an honest way it will touch every reader who meets her. All of the Dessen trademarks are here: a girl in transition, a wonderfully fleshed out cast of secondary characters, and of course, the luminous, powerful writing itself. The Truth About Forever will more than satisfy Dessen's legion of fans, and will win her countless more as well. Highly recommended. (Ages 12 and up) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:56 -0400)

The summer following her father's death, Macy plans to work at the library and wait for her brainy boyfriend to return from camp, but instead she goes to work at a catering business where she makes new friends and finally faces her grief.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,247,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible