The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

The Truth About Forever (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Sarah Dessen

Member:amz310783
Title:The Truth About Forever
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Puffin (2008), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (2004)

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (f_ing_kangaroo, avid_reader25)
    Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another incredible book examining the loss of a parent, and the "catalysts" that propel us to wade through our grief -- and emerge on the other side.

Another of my favorites by Dessen. This story is so heart breaking and warm at the same time. It's about grieving and trying to move on. Love it! ( )
  vilmarietl | Jul 16, 2016 |
Another amazing book by Sarah Dessen. She is definitely one of my favorite authors. I juzt love her characters. They are always very realistic and easy to relate to. This one has to be one of my favorites by her, although it was very emotional like most of her books. I cant wait to dive into another one. ( )
  LenaR0307 | Jun 25, 2016 |
Amazing book, I found myself relating to Macy through all of her obstacles! ( )
  sippju01 | Jun 9, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book a lot but was expecting a bit more angst. Maybe I'be been reading too many emotional books lately and that has put me on a high and this book felt a bit short on that account.
All in all it was a really good book and I've already started on my next Dessen book, I think her books may become quite addictive. ( )
  crisana | Jun 2, 2016 |
Recommended by Lauren B.

Macy and her mother are playing charades: they are pretending everything is "fine just fine" since Macy's father died. Unable to grieve, Macy is also unable to grow or change - until she begins working with the Wish Catering crew and meets Delia, Kristy, Monica, Bert, and especially Wes.

Quotes

I'd tried to hold myself apart, doling out bits and pieces of who I was. But that only works for so long. Eventually, even the smallest fragments can't help but make a whole. (129)

"Mostly I'm just trying to get it right, whatever that means." (Wes to Macy, 139)

Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, to how it holds you to a place. (180)

I wondered why it was I kept coming back to this, again and again, a word that you said when someone asked you how you were but didn't really care to know the truth. (342)

But if something was really important, fate made sure it somehow came back to you and gave you another chance. (346)

There is a certain relief in things getting as bad as they could be. (355) ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 18, 2016 |
For Jay, as ever, and for my cousins who, like me, know by heart the view of the river and the bay, the complex rules of Beckon, and all the ways you Can't Get to Heaven, to name you all would be a book in itself: you know who you are.
Jason was going to Brain Camp.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142406252, Paperback)

With her sixth novel, award-winning author Sarah Dessen offers up another generous helping of finely crafted storytelling about real teens dealing with real life. In The Truth About Forever, when asked how she is coping with her father's death, invariably seventeen year old Macy Queen's answer is "fine," when nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality, she is drowning in grief while maintaining a flawless façade of good grades and unblemished behavior. Though she feels lost when her boyfriend heads to "Brain Camp" for the summer, she finds herself a job with the quirky Wish Catering crew, and meets "sa-woon"-worthy Wes, whose chaotic lifestyle is in direct opposition to her own. As the two share their stories over the summer, Macy realizes she can no longer keep her feelings on ice. Though it feels like her future endedwith her dad's death, Macy's learns that forever is all about beginnings. Dessen charts Macy's navigation of grief in such an honest way it will touch every reader who meets her. All of the Dessen trademarks are here: a girl in transition, a wonderfully fleshed out cast of secondary characters, and of course, the luminous, powerful writing itself. The Truth About Forever will more than satisfy Dessen's legion of fans, and will win her countless more as well. Highly recommended. (Ages 12 and up) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

The summer following her father's death, Macy plans to work at the library and wait for her brainy boyfriend to return from camp, but instead she goes to work at a catering business where she makes new friends and finally faces her grief.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,310,028 books! | Top bar: Always visible