The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

The Truth About Forever (original 2004; edition 2008)

by Sarah Dessen

3,478None1,523 (4.26)63
Member:amz310783
Title:The Truth About Forever
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Puffin (2008), Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:****1/2

The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen (2004)

catering (43) chick lit (29) coming of age (19) contemporary (16) death (86) family (40) favorite (12) favorites (11) fiction (122) friendship (35) grief (71) high school (16) library (20) loss (12) love (49) mothers and daughters (14) own (17) read (29) realistic fiction (43) relationships (15) romance (111) running (12) Sarah Dessen (17) summer (26) teen (46) teen fiction (14) to-read (67) YA (120) young adult (153) young adult fiction (34)
    Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen (f_ing_kangaroo, avid_reader25)
    Catalyst by Laurie Halse Anderson (writemeg)
    writemeg: Another incredible book examining the loss of a parent, and the "catalysts" that propel us to wade through our grief -- and emerge on the other side.

This has to be one of my all time favourite Sarah Dessen books. I can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading it. I'm so glad that I finally did because it's so good.
I love all the people from Wish, they're so random. I love how Monica only ever says about three things. I also loved Macy and Wes.
All round this was a great book. I would highly recommend it.

Full review on my blog: http://www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
I read this in about 2011, maybe early 2012..these last couple years have gone by so fast I can't remember..Lol..but I believe it was 2011

I thought I had added it to my list, but I guess not..

I do remember really loving this book. I've tried to get to her other ones but couldn't get into at the time so I decided to wait until I wanted a contemporary read.

But I did love all of the characters, the story, well, I just loved the whole thing and just flew through it! :-) ( )
  BridgetsBookNook | Feb 6, 2014 |
The Truth About Forever is about a girl names Macy who has recently lost her dad. Her mom needs to grieve because she keeps everything inside an her sister is never at home. Over the summer her boyfriend Jason goes away and Macy takes his job, which she hates. She then finds a job that she really likes. While at her job she meets another guy who is the opposite of Jason and she likes that. When Jason gets back she realize that she doesn't feel the way she thought she did about Jason.
I really liked this book. I could relate to the story a little bit because not that long ago my dad passed away as well. I liked the way that I knew what was going to happen but then something else happened and I changed my mind. I couldn't put the book down because I just kept wanting to see what was going to happen next.
  br14ansp | Nov 1, 2013 |
This was extremely sweet and endearing. I'm giving it three stars, but a very strong three stars. Macy, our high school protagonist, has created a very success-driven, controlled life for herself after her father passed away, but then takes a job with a wacky catering company where her coworkers are a very fun cast of zany teens. That sounds a little dismissive, they are are a zany cast, but it works in this novel in a cute way.

I liked it a lot as a romance, and I liked that while it wasn't overly long, it was substantial. You really believed that Macy has genuinely gotten to know her new friends so that the ways they impact her life and her worldview seem legit and understandable. ( )
  delphica | Oct 14, 2013 |
This is my second Dessen novel in less than a week, and I must say - they are quite addictive. I have always enjoyed reading stories about teenage girls experiencing the same sort of insecurities that I recall all too well from my youth. This one follows a relatively different approach from the earlier one I read, "Someone like you" whilst following the similar themes of mother/daughter relationships, romantic relationships, personal growth and emotional development. It introduces an element of chaos into the steady, reliable life of 17 year old Macy, and teaches her more than a few lessons about how life should really be lived. I enjoyed the storyline, the touch of humour (and chaos) and love the way Dessen creates characters that are just so well fleshed out they could almost become your best friend.

I have some more lined up to read. Technically speaking, it's research for work (I work in a bookstore and due to reasons beyond my control, we currently have a large quantity of Desson's books to sell). But I think I'm taking it above and beyond. And enjoying every minute of it. ( )
  LemurKat | Sep 12, 2013 |
For Jay, as ever, and for my cousins who, like me, know by heart the view of the river and the bay, the complex rules of Beckon, and all the ways you Can't Get to Heaven, to name you all would be a book in itself: you know who you are.
Jason was going to Brain Camp.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142406252, Paperback)

With her sixth novel, award-winning author Sarah Dessen offers up another generous helping of finely crafted storytelling about real teens dealing with real life. In The Truth About Forever, when asked how she is coping with her father's death, invariably seventeen year old Macy Queen's answer is "fine," when nothing could be further from the truth. In actuality, she is drowning in grief while maintaining a flawless façade of good grades and unblemished behavior. Though she feels lost when her boyfriend heads to "Brain Camp" for the summer, she finds herself a job with the quirky Wish Catering crew, and meets "sa-woon"-worthy Wes, whose chaotic lifestyle is in direct opposition to her own. As the two share their stories over the summer, Macy realizes she can no longer keep her feelings on ice. Though it feels like her future endedwith her dad's death, Macy's learns that forever is all about beginnings. Dessen charts Macy's navigation of grief in such an honest way it will touch every reader who meets her. All of the Dessen trademarks are here: a girl in transition, a wonderfully fleshed out cast of secondary characters, and of course, the luminous, powerful writing itself. The Truth About Forever will more than satisfy Dessen's legion of fans, and will win her countless more as well. Highly recommended. (Ages 12 and up) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:56 -0400)

The summer following her father's death, Macy plans to work at the library and wait for her brainy boyfriend to return from camp, but instead she goes to work at a catering business where she makes new friends and finally faces her grief.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,438,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible