The Gift of Battle (Book #17 in the…

The Gift of Battle (Book #17 in the Sorcerer's Ring)

by Morgan Rice

204515,329 (4.25)None

Now that I have finished the entire series, I can get this out. The story line itself was the main reason I continued this series. There were a lot of repeated words (They ran and ran....they swam and swam...they flew and flew) making it sound like a 12 year old wrote it. Over use of the same wording, made it hard to stay focused on the actual story. How many first times can there be in 17 novels?? Too many inconsistencies as well. People who never met, knew each other. People on opposite sides of the world, knew what the other person just learned. I think if these books did have an editor, then that person needs to be fired, and go back to 3rd grade, and start their education over again.
The list of inconsistencies is just way to long to list.
The story itself, was quite good and I really enjoyed that part. It was mind numbing to get through, and I really only finished just because I wanted to see how it played out. I was sadly disappointed in the ending. After 17 books of fighting for everything, I felt it was all over way to fast and incomplete. ( )
  jimpike69 | Nov 16, 2016 |
Morgan Rice finally concluded the Sorcerer's Ring series in this tale.

I have mixed feeling about the conclusion. On one hand I'm thrilled she finally killed it because the last several books felt like the same thing regurgitated over and over again (like beating a dead horse).

That said, I appreciated her review of all that she brought us and her characters through in the series. Her brief mentions had me recall momenteous events in the characters lives. This made me realize how much growth each of the characters experienced since the beginning, several years ago.

My only objection to how she concluded the series was many of the events conveniently fell in place too conveniently. ***SPOILER*** I'm glad she reunited everyone at the end, but life just doesn't happen that cleanly, especially when the rest of the series was about exactly the opposite. ***END SPOILER***

Overall, I give this 4 stars out of 5 ( )
  L.R.W.Lee | Jul 26, 2016 |
What an epic ending to an epic series! Morgan Rice pulled from the hat a very entertaining finale, wrapping up all the parallel stories that kept us on the edge of our seats for the previous 16 books in this incredible "The Gift of Battle". Thorgrin finally reaches his full power and is now the King of Druids. Gwendolyn guides people of the Ridge in their last exodus, while Eric and Alistair, Godfrey, Darius, Angel and all other characters that we learnt to love and respect during the initial 16 books are reunited for a final battle. The odds are high and the intensity of the battle can be felt at every turn of pages, until the apotheosis.
That was a very entertaining series, with a set of characters fully developed and the environment was always fully described, making us feel like we were living the action with our heroes. I enjoyed all books of this series and I am not sad about it reaching its end because there is a new series from this magnificent author called "Kings and Sorcerers" that promises to be as entertaining as "The Sorcerers Ring".

I strong recommend this series to all fantasy lovers, but be aware that you should read in order the books were released so you can savor every detail of this incredible saga. ( )
  rmattos | Jan 23, 2016 |
It was great, I couldn't put it down for fear that the ending would not be as satisfactory if I came back to it. ( )
  JWash | May 6, 2015 |

Morgan Rice is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,020,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible