This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Sarah Dessen

Member:michelleleigh
Title:This Lullaby
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Speak (2004), Paperback, 345 pages
Rating:***1/2

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen (2002)

Recently added byrena75, chapman.2t, private library, ashleymcglothlin, nikkey1000, JessicaFranklin, pmazzei

English (85)  Spanish (2)  All languages (87)
My thoughts on my new blog: Bridget Blogs Books ( )
  RamblingBookNerd | Jun 5, 2019 |
Ahh Dexter and Remy, such an adorable couple. They always say opposites attract.

Remy was great she is the typical girl, doesn’t think she is good enough. Which I guess when your dad isn’t around and your mom marries man after man it would make any girl cynical about finding true love. Runs from things when feelings are involved. Now Dexter, yum he was the sweetest!

Sarah Dessen is such a great author. This wasn’t my favorite by her but it is up there in top 3 I would say. She always has great storylines, relatable characters and has a great way of writing, it flows so well. Loved it
  nicolemeier111 | Aug 29, 2018 |
YA, Romance, Summer, Friendship ( )
  Anna.Hocker | May 14, 2018 |
This is the second time I've read this book. And I'm happy to say that it retained the same sweet, satisfying feel that I remembered from last time.

Also, this is the fourth book I've read written by Sarah Dessen. I've seen many reviews complain about how many of her books seem to be based off the same tired formula. While I get where this opinion is coming from, I can't say that I have read enough books by her to start getting tired of them. The books I have read so far have felt pretty distinct to me (especially Dreamland, which was and still is my favorite of the bunch). So I'm not sure if I will continue reading her books, but I've greatly enjoyed everything that I did read...

...this one definitely included. Sarah's writing is catchy and engrossing, pulling you in right from the get-go and never letting go until the very end. Another big plus in her books is the characters. I couldn't help but fall in love with clumsy, quirky Dexter, and wait knowingly for Remy to finally realize her mistake. True, the plot is predictable, but I think that only adds to the charm of a book like this: knowing that it's all going to end well, that whoever should end up together eventually will, and that love will prevail... Which is ironically reminiscent of what this book is all about.

And now, to finish on a slightly different note, I find myself fixtated on a minor detail that I just can't for the life of me make sense of. Can anyone please explain to me what the following passage means??? -

"Now, tell me again how you two are related?"

"Don is my father's brother-in-law," Dexter told her. "His sister is my aunt."

Uh, what?

If Don is Dexter's father's brother-in-law, then how on earth can Don's sister be Dexter's aunt? It doesn't add up. At all. Or does it?

From my understanding of the term "brother-in-law", Don can either be married to Dexter's father's sister (Dexter's aunt, in short) and of course that is not the case, since he is married to Remy's mother and was never married to anyone else, or he can be the brother of Dexter's father's wife (Dexter's mother???), which would make him quite simply Dexter's uncle, which would be way too ridiculous to term as "my father's brother-in-law", right? Just say uncle.

Okay, now I'm officially confused. I'm starting to see stars. Too many relations. I'm going to bed. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
PopSugar '15 #48--A Banned Book ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
In the depth of winter,

I finally learned that

within me there lay

an invincible summer.

-- Camus
She'll be back soon. She's just writing.
-- Caroline
The name of the song is "This Lullaby."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501557, Paperback)

"I had no illusions about love... It came, it went, it left casualties or it didn't. People weren't meant to be together forever, regardless of what the songs say." Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.

Author Sarah Dessen's ability to write novels that are both crowd pleasers and literary masterpieces of YA fiction is showcased beautifully in This Lullaby. Subtle yet completely absorbing, Lullaby is peopled with breathtakingly believable, three-dimensional characters, the very best of which is the bitter, broken Remy herself. An original love story about learning to love yourself first. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Raised by a mother who's had five husbands, eighteen-year-old Remy believes in short-term, no-commitment relationships until she meets Dexter, a rock band musician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,435,261 books! | Top bar: Always visible