This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Sarah Dessen

English (78)  Spanish (2)  All (80)
I don't know what it is about this book but I have read it at least 10 times. There are so many good quotes that my books is all dog eared and underlined and definitely worn, but I still enjoy reading it. Its so easy to feel what the protagonist is feeling and really get involved in the book. ( )
  lotoflivinglefttodo | Jul 21, 2016 |
Another great read by Sarah Dessen. I just love her writing. I love Remy's character. She reminds me a lot of myself. Mostly her attitude and of course hating not being in control. Dessen's characters are always very realistic. The always seem like people you could run into anywhere and not fiction at all. That is a big part of what draws me to her work. I love that her books are always about serious issues that teens have to deal with all the time, but she doesn't make it preachy and it's heavy enough to get important points across. Definitely one of my favorite authors. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I would have liked more pages about the dysfunctional bandmates and less pages about "but i HAVE to be a stone cold bitch or what's the point?" ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
Teen reviewer: I enjoyed the honesty of This Lullaby. It is realistic, with relatable characters. Though Remy thinks of herself as a girl with a cold, hard heart, she’s actually sweet. She’s thoughtful; cares for her friends and family; and likes Dexter a lot more than she wants to admit. Remy’s journey to discovering love and the benefits of risk-taking is an amazing story and I highly recommend this book. It is targeted more toward teenage girls, but I think anyone could read it and learn a thing or two about life.

Pros: This Lullaby shows us how realism and true love are not mutually exclusive, and not-so-fairy-tale stories can still have happy endings.

There's more to our review. Visit The Reading Tub®. While you’re there, add a link to your review.
  TheReadingTub | Feb 23, 2016 |
In the depth of winter,

I finally learned that

within me there lay

an invincible summer.

-- Camus
She'll be back soon. She's just writing.
-- Caroline
The name of the song is "This Lullaby."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501557, Paperback)

"I had no illusions about love... It came, it went, it left casualties or it didn't. People weren't meant to be together forever, regardless of what the songs say." Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.

Author Sarah Dessen's ability to write novels that are both crowd pleasers and literary masterpieces of YA fiction is showcased beautifully in This Lullaby. Subtle yet completely absorbing, Lullaby is peopled with breathtakingly believable, three-dimensional characters, the very best of which is the bitter, broken Remy herself. An original love story about learning to love yourself first. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Raised by a mother who's had five husbands, eighteen-year-old Remy believes in short-term, no-commitment relationships until she meets Dexter, a rock band musician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,820,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible