This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Sarah Dessen

Member:alexiscartwheel
Title:This Lullaby
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Speak (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 345 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, young adult

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen (2002)

(8) bands (12) chick lit (25) contemporary (12) dating (21) divorce (24) ebook (11) family (27) favorites (8) fiction (115) friendship (23) high school (16) love (49) marriage (14) mothers and daughters (12) music (42) musicians (16) own (15) read (29) realistic fiction (43) relationships (17) romance (104) sarah dessen (18) summer (15) teen (43) teen fiction (9) to-read (46) YA (102) young adult (127) young adult fiction (19)

English (67)  Spanish (2)  All languages (69)

It was a pretty good book. This is my second Sarah Dessen book. I like her writing but she's not my favorite author. I liked Lock and Key better. I am still gonna read other books from her though. ( )
  stephanie.dicesare.7 | Jun 25, 2014 |
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
Remy's mother has been married 5 times and is a romance writer.
She has been just dumping her lovers, like her mother. She is her mothers manager and helps with the wedding, house renovations, etc.
She has a breakup line for every season! All except Dexter who she wants to get rid of just before she heads to college, so will spend the summer with him and his band.
Not sure I like how the title came about-what it means to her and her father...
She has a heart of stone and maybe somebody will melt it, in time.
  jbarr5 | Jun 24, 2014 |
I love the way this author writes. While the book is a YA selection, as an adult, I really enjoyed it. The main character, Remy, a senior in high school, lives with her inattentive mother. Remy drinks and has sex — and has a whole slew of very real problems. In stumbles Dexter, a musician who operates on a wing and prayer, and some corny lines. Though Remy can't understand how, her and Dexter get together. He seems to 'get' her when no one else does.
Likable characters, who Dessen does extremely well making them feel very human — their speech, humor and behaviors. It was a fast read. ( )
  SuzanneML | May 23, 2014 |
Dexter is my favourite Dessen guy ever, probably because he is the funniest and for once he isn't extremely damaged.

21/11/2013 **EDIT**

Okay so I reread the book not that long ago and I think it's only fair that I give the book a full review while it's still fresh in my mind.

Remy is easily my favourite Dessen girl. Hard as nails, independent, a nice balance of bitchy and practicle...well, damn, she's everything I aspire to be.

Dexter: Perfection wrapped up in imperfections, 'nuff said.

The other characters? Nicely deveolped with real growth and purpose in the story. You could see the individual problems of her friends and brother, and they weren't just brushed over. I especially like her mothers marriage storyline.

While of course the story had to go through that awkward "ahhhhh relationship breakdown oh noes" stage, Dessen managed to pull it off with a considerable amount of finesse. Obviously it was one of the only real comlications that she could add to the story so I'm not annoyed or rolling my eyes at all.

With a huge amount of humour and heartfelt moments, this is certainly one of Dessen's better efforts. ( )
  katie1802 | May 10, 2014 |
I orginally read this book when I was in high school and was in love with this book, it was one of my favorites, turning me towards Sarah Dessen's books. For me even re-reading this book years later I still enjoyed the book. I think for me the book still had the appeal because of the main character Remy. My cynical side can relate to her, I understand her distrust in love for her it is the failure after failure marriage. For me in high school I just was a cynical mind on love, and now years later not so much, understanding from relationship issues. Sarah Dessen has fun cluster of characters including Sarah Dessen's famous male leads with Dexter. It is good to read a person, let alone a guy who is more accident prone then me. He is seriously sweet and amazing to read. A second reading and still get to feel all warm and fuzzy at the end. ( )
  ottilieweber | Apr 24, 2014 |
In the depth of winter,

I finally learned that

within me there lay

an invincible summer.

-- Camus
She'll be back soon. She's just writing.
-- Caroline
The name of the song is "This Lullaby."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501557, Paperback)

"I had no illusions about love... It came, it went, it left casualties or it didn't. People weren't meant to be together forever, regardless of what the songs say." Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.

Author Sarah Dessen's ability to write novels that are both crowd pleasers and literary masterpieces of YA fiction is showcased beautifully in This Lullaby. Subtle yet completely absorbing, Lullaby is peopled with breathtakingly believable, three-dimensional characters, the very best of which is the bitter, broken Remy herself. An original love story about learning to love yourself first. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:47 -0400)

Raised by a mother who's had five husbands, eighteen-year-old Remy believes in short-term, no-commitment relationships until she meets Dexter, a rock band musician.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,462,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible