This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

This Lullaby (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Sarah Dessen

Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:This Lullaby
Authors:Sarah Dessen
Info:Speak (2004), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 345 pages

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen (2002)

English (80)  Spanish (2)  All (82)
My first book by Sarah Dressen, I believe. Great writing, outstanding, brilliant characterization, and a lead character I couldn't relate to. Nonetheless Remy is as real as anyone I know, and Dexter ditto, as well as being appealing enough to be convincing as the young man who sneaks into Remy's heart despite all her resistance. Excellent, realistic plot and 'This Lullaby' is a wonderful premise, beautifully executed. Their story is sweet but honest and, again, true to life. I may not have liked Remy, but I'm very impressed by Sarah Dressen. ( )
  DavidR1958 | Jul 4, 2017 |
Eighteen-year-old Remy has a hard time believing in a love that can last. This isn’t a surprise when you see the examples she has had throughout her life. When the book begins Remy is helping her mother plan her fifth wedding. She was never able to meet her father and has to create an image of who he was via her mother and a song he wrote specifically for Remy. This song even talks about how he will let her down. As a result she has come to expect that people, especially men, will not be sticking around for very long and she has built up a wall to protect herself from getting in too deep. That wall remains impenetrable until Dexter shows up and starts chipping away to her heart.

I’m beginning to realize that I love almost every Dessen novel for very different reasons. It seems to me that each novel brings something so different and complex to the table that I’m just not sure that I can solidify one as my favorite. I do love just how completely opposite Dexter and Remy seem at the surface. Upon closer examination you realize that they share so many of the same fears and similar experiences. It makes me think more about the people I interact with who may initially appear to be so very different from me. Perhaps at the core we have more in common than I could have ever thought.

As always I love Dessen’s writing style. In this particular novel I really loved the voice of Remy. She is truly very different from many of Dessen’s other narrators in that she doesn’t hold anything back in her dialogue or her narration. As a reader I really appreciate that insight because it feels as if Remy is one of your closest friends. You learn so much about her that eventually you can see through what she is saying to what she really means and feels.

I love the group of girl friends in this book! It is just so true to life. I feel like in any group you will find that some people just click and there are at least two who don’t really like each other but will still be there for each other when needed. Reading about these girls throwing the drink at Lissa’s ex and then throwing their drinks at Don’s car made me want to practice and perfect my aim. I just love the solidarity found there.

I think my only issue with characters had to do with the band. I knew there were three additional guys in the group, but I really didn’t know who was who and I kind of wish they would have been a little bit more distinguishable from one another. Although, I tend to have a hard time keeping characters straight so maybe a better reader wouldn’t have this complaint.

Initially I thought that Dexter would be too much for me as he is messy, doesn’t really have a plan and seems to be so very flighty. Somehow despite all of those irritating qualities he becomes appealing and lovable. He is like an adorable puppy that messes up your entire house and then looks up at you with those big eyes and you just can’t help but love him anyway. I understand why Remy would have a hard time letting this one go.

I really love that there is just something so natural about Remy and Dexter’s relationship. They never really have to try too hard when they decide to be together. Nothing about their relationship is toxic. The only problem is found within themselves and their baggage and their unwillingness to really let go and give into what it is that they have. (I keep saying they because while Remy was the one to struggle with the relationship, Dexter admits when they are having issues that given time he could be just as likely to struggle the way that Remy struggles.) I just love seeing these kids overcome their issues and grow together.

This is yet another fantastic book by Sarah Dessen. It’s incredibly well written with complex, interesting characters that keep you interested. I would highly recommend you read it. Seriously, stop reading this and go get that. NOW! ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I don't know what it is about this book but I have read it at least 10 times. There are so many good quotes that my books is all dog eared and underlined and definitely worn, but I still enjoy reading it. Its so easy to feel what the protagonist is feeling and really get involved in the book. ( )
  lotoflivinglefttodo | Jul 21, 2016 |
Another great read by Sarah Dessen. I just love her writing. I love Remy's character. She reminds me a lot of myself. Mostly her attitude and of course hating not being in control. Dessen's characters are always very realistic. The always seem like people you could run into anywhere and not fiction at all. That is a big part of what draws me to her work. I love that her books are always about serious issues that teens have to deal with all the time, but she doesn't make it preachy and it's heavy enough to get important points across. Definitely one of my favorite authors. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
I would have liked more pages about the dysfunctional bandmates and less pages about "but i HAVE to be a stone cold bitch or what's the point?" ( )
  Stebahnree | Mar 13, 2016 |
In the depth of winter,

I finally learned that

within me there lay

an invincible summer.

-- Camus
She'll be back soon. She's just writing.
-- Caroline
The name of the song is "This Lullaby."

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0142501557, Paperback)

"I had no illusions about love... It came, it went, it left casualties or it didn't. People weren't meant to be together forever, regardless of what the songs say." Remy doesn't believe in love. And why should she? Her romance novelist mother is working on her fifth marriage, and her father, a '70s hippie singer, left her with only a one-hit wonder song to remember him by. Every time Remy hears "This Lullaby," it feels like "a bruise that never quite healed right." "Wherever you may go / I will let you down / But this lullaby plays on..." Never without a boyfriend, Remy is a compulsive dater, but before a guy can go all "Ken" on her (as in "ultra boyfriend behavior") she cuts him off, without ever getting close or getting hurt. That's why she's stunned when klutzy, quirky, alterna-band boy Dexter inserts himself into her life and refuses to leave. Remy's been accepted to Stanford, and she plans on having her usual summer fling before tying up the loose ends of her pre-college life and heading for the coast. Except Dexter's not following Remy's tried-and-true rules of break-up protocol. And for the first time, Remy's questioning whether or not she wants him to.

Author Sarah Dessen's ability to write novels that are both crowd pleasers and literary masterpieces of YA fiction is showcased beautifully in This Lullaby. Subtle yet completely absorbing, Lullaby is peopled with breathtakingly believable, three-dimensional characters, the very best of which is the bitter, broken Remy herself. An original love story about learning to love yourself first. (Ages 12 and older) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Raised by a mother who's had five husbands, eighteen-year-old Remy believes in short-term, no-commitment relationships until she meets Dexter, a rock band musician.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,263,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible