Philosophy as cultural politics by Richard…

Philosophy as cultural politics (edition 2007)

by Richard Rorty

This volume presents a selection of the philosophical papers which Richard Rorty has written over the past decade, and complements three previous volumes of his papers: Objectivity, Relativism, and Truth, Essays on Heidegger and Others and Truth and Progress. Topics discussed include the changing role of philosophy in Western culture over the course of recent centuries, the role of the imagination in intellectual and moral progress, the notion of 'moral identity', the Wittgensteinian claim that the problems of philosophy are linguistic in nature, the irrelevance of cognitive science to philosophy, and the mistaken idea that philosophers should find the 'place' of such things as consciousness and moral value in a world of physical particles. The papers form a rich and distinctive collection which will appeal to anyone with a serious interest in philosophy and its relation to culture.… (more)
Member:jxn
Title:Philosophy as cultural politics
Authors:Richard Rorty
Info:New York : Cambridge University Press, 2007.
Collections:Your library, printbooks
Tags:anthology, collected articles, english language, owned, printbook, unread, substantially and meaningfullly altered my thoughts

Philosophy as Cultural Politics by Richard Rorty

Excellent and accessible. In his final set of papers, Rorty distills his core arguments in favour of pragmatism and against representationalism and offers a role for philosophers in constantly pushing the boundaries of what it is to be human. ( )
  Voise15 | Oct 25, 2011 |
When reading previous Rorty books, I was interested in what he had to say in passing about religion's role in society. In this book, he more explicitly addresses these issue.

On this second go around, I still found what Rorty says about religion important, but the book is more than about that. It touches on philosophy of science and moral philosophy as well. Very non-Kantian in his approach to moral philosophy. ( )
  Darrol | Sep 14, 2007 |
The point of philosophy...is not to find out what anything is 'really' like, but to help us grow up - to make us happier, freer and more flexible.
...the more books you read, the more ways of being human you have considered, the more human you become...
inquiry is just another name for problem-solving, and we cannot imagine inquiry into how human beings should live, into what we should make of ourselves, coming to an end.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,818,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible