Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell
Recently added byJennafa, Foghorn-Leghorn, Glacierhills1200, private library, gpc3000, A.Walter, blogbrarian

English (35)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (40)
Good, a little less violent than book 1, and with even more compelling drama. ( )
  mdubois | Jan 31, 2017 |
I read the English language version of this, but weirdly Goodreads only seems to feature the German edition as a stand-alone title? ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
This is a reasonable fantasy based on the Welsh legends of Arthur. Cornwell presents Arthur as a pagan Welsh bastard. He is the 'Enemy of God' because he is being defeated by the encroaching Christianity. An excellent book, but requires some maturity to appreciate.
  drbrendan | Jul 19, 2016 |
The speaker, Derful, recounts the event with commentary. He is close to Arthur and has inside information. Derful takes the position that Arthur's idea of unity, of getting along, of peace, is unworkable. But he likes Arthur and does not impede him. Arthur is portrayed as a regent for Mordred. The entire book is the perspective of the minimalist, the 'realist' who does not accept the romantic meaning others assign to events or things but recognizes the for the commonplace things they are. An interesting but defeatist, depressing read.
  drbrendan | Jul 7, 2016 |
The story of Arthur, the king that never was and the enemy of God, continues in the great sequel.
It finally seems like Arthur has his order. Mordred’s throne is safe and after a final battle with the Saxon’s there will be a time of peace.
But Arthur forgot that the Gods thrive on chaos and so his peace will never last.

This is the last day of the old year. The bracken on the hill has turned brown, the elms at the valley’s end have lost their leaves and the winter slaughter of our cattle has begun. Tonight is Samain eve.

Derfel continues his story about Arthur.
He recaptures the story at the end of the battle of Lugg Vale, where Arthur rescued Britain from civil war and Nimue got her revenge on Gundleus.
The king of Powys died during this battle at Lugg Vale and now his son, who’s an ally of Arthur in finding peace between the Britons, is crowned king.
But will Merlin crush this peace?
In the first part of this tale, not much is known about Merlin, except that he is looking for the treasures of Britain in order to call on the Gods to return to Britain. Now, his quest carries on because he wants to find the most powerful treasure of all: The Cauldron of Clyddno Eiddyn.
This Cauldron is told to destroy dreams, and what is this peace of Arthur but his lifelong dream?

Meanwhile, Derfel himself is very much in love!
However the woman he has given his heart to, is betrothed to another man… Lancelot in fact.
To make matters worse, Arthur wants Derfel to become Morded’s guardian and he is to marry Guinevere’s sister, Gwenhwyvach.
Though fate is inexorable.
Dreams scatter and other dreams are fulfilled when a chicken bone is snapped and two lovers run away from a betrothal. And now both lovers, a band of warriors and Merlin will travel the Dark Path, to find the Cauldron and so bring back the Gods.
The Gods have to wait though, because another problem has to be dealt with before the Gods can be called back; the Saxon’s need to be driven away from Britain, for good.

I really liked this book and I reread this book just like I did the first one.
Again I am blown away by Cornwell’s way of bringing this time of turmoil into life for the reader.
This is the second part of the story and it also feels that way. It is not like some years passed between the first book and the second book, it all fits together perfectly.
What I really liked in this book was that things change, just like humans do. Some people grow, like Mordred, into tiny devils who are possessed by evil spirits (Merlin’s words not mine!) while some grow weaker because the Gods are even further away than before.
Again I think it’s a good thing that Cornwell didn’t describe the tiniest of details about Derfel’s or Arthur’s life. He gives detail at exactly the right moment in the book.

It was near dawn and the fog lay like a fleece so thick that when we managed to descend the rocks and assemble on the grass at the top of the knoll we were in danger of losing each other by taking just one step.

This time however there’s more mystery, at least in my opinion. Also some secrets are revealed (Merlin is very fond of cheese for one thing) and there is more tension and action in this part of Derfel’s tale. For the second time he gave us history on the story, but this time to explain how the thirteen treasures came to Britain.

To round this up:
I loved it, absolutely loved it. I laughed, I cried, I got angry and I couldn’t put this book down. Like the first part of this series it is one of my all time favourites and so I give this book five stars :) BAM ( )
  Mybookfile | Mar 15, 2016 |

Bernard Cornwellprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cornwell, Bernardmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Enemy For God is for Susan Watt, its onlie begetter
Today I have been thinking about the dead.

'Tell me of Arthur,' says Igraine, 'Our last and best hope, our king who never was a king, the enemy of God and the scourge of the Saxons.'

Arthur has won his bloody victory at Lugg Vale and the kingdoms are finally united. Mordred's throne is safe, Guinevere is to bear Arthur a child, and Lancelot is to marry Ceinwyn. After one last battle agains the Saxons, Arthur will rule a peaceful, orderly land.

But, unlike Merlin, Arthur has forgotten the Gods, who thrive on chaos. Merlin, weaver of charms, knows that if the Gods are to be restored he must bring togetgher Britain's thirteen sacred objects. Derfel, the stalwart of Arthur's shield wall, is drawn into Merlin's intrigues and Arthur's plans are thrown into turmoil...

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0312187149, Paperback)

Cornwell furnishes a provocative look at the Arthurian legends in Enemy of God, the second book in the Warlords Chronicle. This version of the tale takes place during the Dark Ages, when even the lords of the land lived in thatched huts. Arthur, still defending Britain for his younger half-brother Mordred, faces religious uprisings, Saxon invasions, and disloyalty at the heart of the kingdom. His uncompromising belief in oaths and his optimistic blindness to human betrayal isolate him from even his closest friends. At the same time, Merlin's quest for the Cauldron (read Holy Grail) also becomes entangled in treachery.

Cornwell's writing skills have continued to evolve since his journeyman Sharpe series, and Enemy of God combines intriguing descriptions of Druidical magic with the war-ravaged landscape of Dark Ages Britain, without holding back on the brutality of vengeance and war. The Matter of Britain always commands interest, and Cornwell invests the usual splendor and tragedy with the human squalor of the times. --Blaise Selby

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:55 -0400)

In this follow-up to The Winter King, Arthur has secured a tenuous peace with the Saxons and must now deal with new, perhaps more powerful enemies, who can be harder to find because they pose as friends. With the Winter King, the first volume of his magnificent Warlord.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,963,783 books! | Top bar: Always visible