A Stitch in Crime: Quilts of Love Series by…

A Stitch in Crime: Quilts of Love Series

by Cathy Elliott

There seem to be mixed feelings about this book.

Half the reviews I’ve read say they were disappointed in the book or it was just not their taste.

The other half can’t say enough good about it – comparing it to Miss Marple or Nancy Drew mysteries.

Are you beginning to see the problem? It’s really no mystery. The ones who love it are the ones who love a clean (and sometimes quirky) sort of mystery – the kind where there’s no strong violence or general ugliness.

As a Quilts of Love story, I’m surprised more readers didn’t expect that sort of story but then, some of the other Quilts of Love books I’ve read have much harsher content… and they weren’t even mysteries.

All in all, another great addition to the Quilts of Love series… in my humble opinion!
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
Stitch in Crime - Cathy Elliott – Quilts of Love series
5 stars ***** out of five

Small town politics. Throw in a group of avid quilters, mostly older women because they are the ones who not only make time for it, but also thrive on it, and voila! You have a suspense story. Actually it is not all that easy. And though every town has its quilters, and it's politics, not every town has its suspense stories. I have been loving the Quits of Love Stories. I have not read all 25 of them, but would like to.
I am not organized enough to take on the role of Thea as the planner for the Quilt Show Extravaganza. I admired how she thought on her feet to solve the problems she encountered, and if I had half of that, it might not stress me out that I have trouble saying No. Small problems do not make suspense, but when you have them every time you turn around, they escalate. I would find it difficult to show unconditional love in some of the instances, but Cathy crafts an amazing story, with twists and turns that Caught me off guard. I will be looking for the characters to show up in her next book, because some of them are just too good to fade into the woodwork (or quilts)!

Thank you to Amy Lathrop at Litfuse Publicity Group, Abingdon Press and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and enjoy this book. I was given a free book in exchange for an honest review. A positive critique was not required. The opinions are my own. ( )
  mbarkman | Feb 14, 2015 |
Generally, I gobble up cozy mysteries, the quirkier the better! However, I had a slow go of it with Cathy Elliott’s A Stitch in Crime, the final installment in Abingdon’s Quilts of Love series. Quilts are definitely front and center in this novel and the avid quilter will love all the references to quilting patterns and paraphernalia. The mystery was suitably mysterious, and I didn’t have a clue whodunit until he/she was unveiled. Characters are as colorful as the quilts. But this book lacked a certain something for me. I just didn’t connect with main character Thea, who is a thirty-something single woman. Thea is by turns whiny and fussy making me feel she was either much younger or much older than she actually was. The language is at times a bit too clever, bordering on the corny. I didn’t hate this book, but I didn’t love it either. However, lots of other bloggers did. I recommend you check out Reviews from The Heart for a more positive review.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to LitFuse and Abingdon for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Feb 4, 2015 |
Title: A Stitch in Crime (Quilts of Love Series)
Author: Cathy Elliott
Story Length: 215
Year: 2015
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Thea James owns and operates an antique store in Larkindale. She is also co-chairperson of the town’s first quilt show. One of her close friends, Mary Alice Wentworth, has agreed to be one of the judges for the show. The Wentworths have been a leading family in town for generations. Mary Alice donated one of the family’s valuable quilts to the local museum. The quilt will be on display for the show as well. It has long been rumored that the quilt is the key to finding treasure. At the soiree, an event held just days before the show opens, Mary Alice is injured and her diamond broach comes up missing. Also, one of the pre-eminent experts in quilts and textiles in the state, who had agreed to attend the soiree, doesn’t show up.
Thea as co-chairperson is left to solve the squabbles and in-fighting among her committees as her other co-chairperson is no help at all. She is left on her own to make everything run smoothly. Her best friend also has been treating her in a petty and mean manner, so she is dealing with that relationship on top of her other stress-filled days leading up to the show.
I thought the premise for this story was a good one; however, the execution of the same fell short in my opinion as an avid mystery reader. The sentences were choppy and disjointed and hard to follow sometimes. The story was slow moving as well with not a lot of action or suspense. There wasn’t enough background on the characters to develop any connection with them for me. I have read other books in this series and enjoyed them, but for me this was not one of my favorites. I did like some of the witty puns in the story, the Mary Alice’s strong faith and Thea’s relationship with her Uncle Nick, as well as her generosity.
My rating is 3 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/. Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 24, 2015 |
When we first meet Thea, I felt so sorry for her, her lifetime friend seems to be turning on her and treating her terribly, she is also terribly busy being a co-chairman of the local quilt show extravaganza.
With the extravaganza comes a lot of unexpected excitement and unexpected calamities, and hidden dangers. What could possibly be going on here that would cause an older woman to be attacked? Diamonds to be stolen, now what does that have to do with a quilt show? Then stolen quilts? What?
We meet some unsavory characters that you at first feel sorry for, and then you are really going to be guess as to who or whom would be responsible for all of these crimes. Even the local quilt shop has problems!
This story will keep you on your toes, and you’ll have a hard time guessing who is responsible for all that is happening. You will also wonder whom Thea can turn to when even her cat is threatened. Ugh!
Surprises galore here, and you won’t be able to put this one down until you know everything!

I received this book through Net Galley and the Publisher Abingdon, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | Jan 20, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142677365X, Paperback)

Thea James has accepted an assignment as co-chairperson for Larkindale’s first quilt show extravaganza. Juggling the new assignment with running her antique business, she’s already feeling frayed when things start to unravel. Mary-Alice Wentworth, a much-loved town matriarch, respected quilt judge, and Thea’s dear friend, is covertly conked on the head during the kick-off Quilt Show Soiree, throwing suspicion on her guests. It also appears that a valuable diamond brooch has been stolen during the attack. The family is furious. But is it because of their mugged mother or the missing diamonds? When a renowned textile expert goes MIA and the famous Wentworth heritage quilt disappears, Larkindale’s reputation as a tourist haven is at risk. Thea attempts to piece the mystery together and save the town’s investment in the quilt show before Mary-Alice is attacked again . . . with far worse results.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:27 -0400)

When Thea James takes on the responsibility of co-chairperson in Larkindale's first quilt show extravaganza things begin to go downhill from the opening party, where Mary-Alice Wentworth is mugged for a valuable diamond brooch.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,761,863 books! | Top bar: Always visible