The Amish Clockmaker by Mindy Starns Clark

Matthew Zook, desperate to save his family’s feed store business, needs to expand the store. This means a large-scale addition and remodel. But when he starts building on his land, a neighboring business claims that Matthew doesn’t own it, and that they are seeking to buy it from the person who does. This revelation starts Matthew on a quest to find the owner first. But no one has seen him since he left town 60 years ago, first having been arrested for the murder of his wife and inexplicably released. Matthew is fighting against time, seeking the lost man. Though not forgotten, no one, especially not his relatives, wants to talk about him. The future of Matthew’s whole family rests on his finding and obtaining the rights to the land. But in doing so, it means coming face to face with a man who may be a murderer. This story is intriguing from the very beginning, with interesting characters in a well-developed plot. This third book in the series is by far the best. ( )
  Maydacat | Mar 30, 2016 |
A decades old mystery… A murder… A border dispute…

Not exactly what you expect from an Amish novel…

Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner definitely have a HIT on their hands!

The story starts out innocently enough – with a small dispute about the boundaries of property.

But it’s not long before you will find yourself pulled into a mystery, and a mystery you would never expect from as plain and quiet a community as the Amish.

Matthew Zook has little choice but to follow the clues and try to get to the bottom of this mystery that Mindy and Susan take us on.

You won’t want to put this book down… at least until you get to the last page – and you may find yourself disappointed when you reach that last page… just because the story is over.

A MUST read! ( )
  JCMorrows | Aug 25, 2015 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was beautifully written. Mindy Starnes Clark and Susan Meissner did a wonderful job of weaving the reader through the lives of Matthew Zook and Clayton Raber. They carry us from the present day to the past and back again with ease. I am a long time reader and fan of Amish fiction and loved reading a book from the perspective of men.
Clark and Meissner developed the characters in a way that entices the readers into the lives of the Amish and keeps them there until the very end. An excellent book. I would highly recommend it. ( )
  myoldkyhome | Feb 4, 2015 |
The Amish Clockmaker is a story set in two time periods, the 1950’s and the present day.
We have big business again hometown business, and big pockets again pennies. This story is also about love and forgiveness, even if it is oneself. When the story opens we are with Matthew Zook as he has made a heartfelt decision to expand and grow his families Tack and Feed Store. When the next door super business comes calling telling him he doesn’t own the property that has been in his family for sixty years, how is that possible?
We are sent down a separate story line that is equally enjoyable about a young man who is secretly in love with the neighbor girl, but because he has an injury to his leg and a facial disfigurement all due to an accident, he feels he will never marry. Circumstances work in Clayton Raber’s favor, or do they? He ends up marrying Miriam, the neighbor, but later is accused of murdering her.
As Matthew is trying to figure out his deed to his property, the two stories are about to merge to find answers to both. What a wonderful job the authors have done to make this story so enjoyable, and heartwarming, yes also tragic.
There are answers here for everyone, but will they be received in time for them to help anyone? We find a great faith in God, and hope that the winner will be leaning on him.

I received this book through Net Galley and Harvest House Publishers, and was not required to give a positive review ( )
  alekee | Feb 4, 2015 |
4 STARS

This is the third book in the Men of Lancaster County. It tells the story through two different Amish men point of view. I wanted the story to go on. I admitted I liked the ending I just wanted another couple of chapters. I did shed some tears in the last few chapters.

There is a lot of drama in the two stories that take place 50 years apart but the past story has a major impact on the currant story. Mathew Zook is a newlywed and is in charge of the family business. He is going to extend his family hardware store to save the business when he finds out that the land he is going to build on. The hotel which is going up thinks that they are going to buy that land and wants Mathew Zook to stop his building. He needs to find Clayton Raber.

Clayton Raber was arrested for killing his wife. Everyone believed that the Amish clockmaker got away with the murder. Mathew was raised in same bedroom that Clayton was raised in and believes he was innocent. No one knows where Clayton had moved to after the cops let him out of jail and dropped the case.

I liked the characters and wanted Clayton to have a happy ending. His story was sad. I also wanted Mathew to save his family business. Both stories made me feel with the characters.

The story is set in the Amish Lancaster county. A mix of Amish and English.

This is a clean read. A gripping story. Of characters that have a struggle to live what they believe. Some have weakness that you can see others you see trying to accept God's will.

I was given this ebook to read by Net Galley and Harvest House Publishers . In return I agreed to give honest review of the Amish Clockmaker. ( )
  rhonda1111 | Feb 2, 2015 |

From bestselling authors Mindy Starns Clark and Susan Meissner, The Amish Clockmaker (Book 3 in the Men of Lancaster County series) explores the men of an Amish community in Lancaster County, how their Amish beliefs play out in their unique roles, and the women who change their lives.

Newlywed Matthew Zook is expanding his family's tack and feed store when a surprising property dispute puts the remodel on hold--and raises new questions about the location's mysterious past.

Decades earlier, the same building housed a clock shop run by a young Amish clockmaker named Clayton Raber. Known for his hot temper, Clayton was arrested for the murder of his beloved wife, a crime almost everyone--including his own family members--believed he'd committed, even after charges were dropped. Isolated and feeling condemned by all, Clayton eventually broke from the church, left Lancaster County, and was never heard from again.

Now the only way Matthew can solve the boundary issue and save his family's business is to track down the clockmaker. But does this put Matthew on the trail of a murderer?

A timeless novel of truth, commitment, and the power of enduring love, where secrets of the past give way to hope for the future.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:47 -0400)

A property dispute sends Matthew Zook on a mission to find the previous owner in order to solve the boundary issue. But the previous owner was a suspect in the murder of his own wife.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible