Cold-Hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas

Cold-Hearted Rake

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: The Ravenels (1)

There were parts of this I liked. The steamy portions were super steamy and I love a reformed rake, but I sort of hated the heroine. She was a straight up bitch, and there was nothing, absolutely not a blessed thing, that would explain why the hero fell for her. There was a momentary discussion of how she was taking control and not living at the whim of a man, and I am all about that, but that did not really work as a reason for most of her behavior. Maybe there could have been some discussion on how she was cast into a maternal role for her late husband's sisters even though she was scarcely older, and she overcompensated with the "propriety" thing as a result. That discussion didn't happen though, and she just seemed like a prig. ( )
  Narshkite | Jul 16, 2017 |
I enjoyed this book. After being married for 3 days Kathleen’s husband dies in a drunken horse riding accident. The cousin arrives to take over his inheritance an estate that is in dire straights. They argue, name call, hate each other before realizing they are falling in love. Devin enlists his playboy brother to help and between the brothers they begin turning things around and turning their own lives around. ( )
  Kathy89 | Jul 7, 2017 |
My review got chewed up by GoodReads. The pain is real.

The short version: if you can get past the first 100 lackluster pages and lower your expectations, the book isn't too terrible. I hated the hero and the heroine for a good measure of the book. They didn't have an ounce of chemistry for those first 100 pages. Hell, the heroine had more chemistry with her horse than with the hero. They fall in love completely out of nowhere. While the sexual chemistry appears late in the game, it is there and it is pretty steamy.

The secondary characters (West is the best, Helen is a sweetheart and Hamlet is so cute) save the book from being a total disaster.

The book felt like a giant prequel for the second book, with the main couple at times taking a backseat to Helen and Winterborne. After what Winterborne did near the end, I have my reservations about him, but because I am trash, I'm reading the second book. ( )
  lapiccolina | Jun 23, 2017 |
I bought this book in its print version long time ago and then I sampled the audio. I was blown away at the narration by Mary Jane Wells and just had to have it. This is predominantly an Audio review.

If I had three words to describe it, they would be: Fun, heartwarming and brilliantly narrated!

But what stood out the most was the complex characters of the hero and heroine. They were flawed and yet compelling, which endeared them to me.

There are just too many memorable moments in this story, from the initial meeting of the two, their slow-burning attraction, but the time he told her he loves her and was giving her time to accept that love and would be faithful to her from that moment on, that was such a memorable speech and moment.

“Time is what I'm giving you," he said, staring down at her. His hand curved beneath her chin, compelling her to look at him. "There's only one way for me to prove that I will love you and be faithful to you for the rest of my life. And that's by loving you and being faithful to you for the rest of my life. Even if you don't want me. Even if you choose not to be with me. I'm giving you all the time I have left. I vow to you that from this moment on, I will never touch another woman, or give my heart to anyone but you. If I have to wait sixty years, not a minute will have been wasted- because I'll have spent all of them loving you.”

I also loved every secondary character introduced to us. All were fun and funny.

Seriously, this is a must!

I adored the narration! From now on, I'm on a lookout for Mary Jane Wells's narration :)

BTW, the second book in this series is Marrying Winterborne and it is as good as this one.

Melanie for b2b
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
Very good Lisa kleypas. Devon and Kathleen go back and forth. Predictable but fun. ( )
  afarrington | Mar 18, 2017 |

Lisa Kleypasprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wells, Mary JaneReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my wonderful and gifted editor, Carrie Feron—thank you for making my dreams come true!
Love always,
L.K.
Hampshire, England
August 1875

The devil knows why my life should be ruined, Devon Ravenel said grimly, all because a cousin I never liked fell from a horse.

A twist of fate . . .

Devon Ravenel, London's most wickedly charming rake, has just inherited an earldom. But his powerful new rank in society comes with unwanted responsibilities . . . and more than a few surprises. His estate is saddled with debt, and the late earl's three innocent sisters are still occupying the house . . . along with Kathleen, Lady Trenear, a beautiful young widow whose sharp wit and determination are a match for Devon's own.

A clash of wills . . .

Kathleen knows better than to trust a ruthless scoundrel like Devon. But the fiery attraction between them is impossible to deny—and from the first moment Devon holds her in his arms, he vows to do whatever it takes to possess her. As Kathleen finds herself yielding to his skillfully erotic seduction, only one question remains:

Can she keep from surrendering her heart to the most dangerous man she's ever known?

Inheriting not only an earldom, but also an estate riddled with debt and the late earl's three sisters and Kathleen, Lady Trenear, a beautiful young widow, Devon Ravenel engages in a sensual battle of wills with this woman whose sharp wit and determination are a match for his own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,004,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible