Searching for Super (Almost Super) by Marion…

Searching for Super (Almost Super)

by Marion Jensen

121768,668 (3)None

Review first posted on my blog Dee's Reads
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Ever since I read book one Almost Super; I was really looking forward to reading this sequel. I gave that book 5 stars. I don't do that often. That's how much it impressed me though. But we all know—the more impressed we are the harder it can be to fulfill that same impression the second or third time around. Unfortunately, I have to say this is one book that suffered the odious "second book syndrome"… Maybe it was because I loved the first book so much, but I really had high expectations for this. Sometimes that is what kills a book. I think in this case, that was mostly what happened.

All in all though I'm glad I followed up with this series. It's such a positive one! It's definitely one of those books that is filled with positive messages for kids. A little too much for my liking, but hey, it's cool. I'll take an overly positive book over a negative one any day.

I'm not going to go over the plot at all in my review, because the blurb has a really good summarization and I don't really have anything to add that I feel is important. I mainly just wanted to say that it's an okay book that doesn't live up to its predecessor, but was still mildly enjoyable. I think it may be more enjoyable for a younger kid—perhaps 9. I think that it is more for the younger spectrum of middle grade, even though the first book seemed older.

I enjoyed how the characters dealt with bullying and how they managed their friendships. Most of all, the message of family and not taking things on by yourself just because you want to be "heroic." True heroism is working as a team, and while that sounds really cheesy (I know)..it's a good concept. If you haven't read the first book, definitely don't read this one. You will be very out of the loop! Also, if you really want to read a superhero book or know a young middle grader who likes them and could do with some good lessons on friendships and family —then by all means point them toward the first book, Almost Super.
  Diamond.Dee. | Jul 3, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062209582, Hardcover)

Rafter and Benny Bailey are back in this laugh-out-loud follow-up to Almost Super, which Kirkus Reviews called "fluent, funny, and eminently sequel-worthy," perfect for fans of Pixar's The Incredibles.

The superheroes of Split Rock are hunkering down, which is really just a fancy way of saying they're hiding. Ever since those supervillainous Joneses took away their real powers, the Baileys and the Johnsons have been living in fear. But Rafter has had a taste of what saving the day feels like, and now he's desperate to do something important.

So when he gets an opportunity to fight with a real superpower—as long as he promises not to tell his parents—he is going to take it, no questions asked. With the help of his brother Benny, his cousin Thimon, and his best friend, Juanita, Rafter Bailey is searching for super.

Filled with heart and humor, Searching for Super is a family adventure of heroic proportions.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:32 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,124,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible