Frostbite by Julia Dweck

Frostbite

by Julia Dweck

212,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byKathrynSvendsen, GRgenius

Frostbite is a delightful poetry style about a boy who wishes for a dog. He forms one out of snow and has the greatest fun with him outside. Having to go inside and not wanting to leave Frostbite outside and alone, the boy brings him inside, but Frostbite begins to melt. So the boy tries to put Frostbite the fridge freezer. The boy’s mother sees this and appears afraid of the dog until Frostbite befriends her with doggie kisses to her cheeks. Now Frostbite has the perfect bed beside the boy’s bed in a cooler filled with ice beside his bed.

I loved the rhyming lines in this story. It is perfect for parents to read to children. I liked that all the fun that was had was outside which might help encourage children to play similar games that the children played outside.

I liked the additional information that was at the end of the story – interesting facts about dogs and a matching game. These are like added bonuses to peak children’s interests in the topic that the book is about – in this case, dogs.

The illustrations for Frostbite are superbly done. They are bright, colourful and highly detailed. The illustrations will help the new reader to make connections between the words and their printed representations.

I liked the choice of font for the lettering. The font looks like hand printed lettering. This font is easy for children to read as it looks like printing.

I have only one negative comment regarding this book and it comes from being a teacher of children with visual impairments. Most of the pages have excellent contrast between print and background, but a few pages have light background with light print (pg12 & 13). . This would make it difficult for a child with poor visual acuity to easily see the words This could be improved with dark print on these two pages.

Other than that this is one the best children’s books that I have read this year. I give Frostbite 5 stars out of 5. Julia Dweck is becoming one of my favourite children’s authors.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book for providing a copy in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

This review was published on my blog Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/02/book-review-frostbite-by-ju... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Mar 6, 2015 |

Bestselling children's author, Julia Dweck, shares the magic of the holiday season in a delightful story of one boy’s wish for a dog of his very own. After a wintry mix of snow and love, two icy mounds of snow come to life with a bark, a wiggle and a wag. The wonder of childhood is born in this frisky snowpup named Frostbite. Children will be enchanted by the artistry of Robb Mommaerts, whose illustrations perfectly capture the magic of this imaginative picture book. Told in rhyme by a little boy whose dream comes true, this tale will warm the heart of young readers and any parent who remembers wishing for a dog of their very own. So that’s the truth amidst the snow— As day turned into night, I found a dog to call my own. I’m glad I caught Frostbite.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:19 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,189,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible