The Red Notebook by Antoine Laurain

The Red Notebook (2014)

by Antoine Laurain

English (9)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All (12)
Simply charming. ( )
  kimkimkim | Aug 21, 2017 |
Good book, with literary references ( )
  karinlib | Jul 18, 2017 |
The book itself very succinctly spells out its story – “It’s the story of a bookseller who finds a handbag in the street one day, takes it home with him, empties out its contents and decides to look for the woman who owns it.” This is an absolutely delightful little book. Not finding any identification in the handbag, bookseller Laurent begins to read the red notebook that was in the handbag. The notebook contains the innermost thoughts of its owner. Laurent becomes fascinated with this lady and goes to extremes in his effort to find her.

The handbag’s owner is Laure, who was mugged one evening at the entry of her home and sustains a head injury that causes her to go into a coma.

While the book is light reading it holds your attention. I found myself anxiously hoping he would find clues to her identity. I felt slightly devastated at each clue that only led to a dead end. I think “whimsical” is a good way to describe it, as he comes across as a bit peculiar. Yet the story is light-hearted and amusing. I so wanted these two people to find each other. But there was a nervousness, wondering that if they found each other would they recognize how they seemed to be perfect for each other? Would they be willing to throw caution to the wind?

This is the perfect book to kick back and relax with – have a glass of wine or a cup of tea. Lose yourself in the story. You will be glad you did.

I received a copy of “The Red Notebook” from its Gallic Books, via GoodReads’ First Reads program. ( )
  BettyTaylor56 | Jul 11, 2016 |
Translated from French into English. Bookseller Laurent Letellier discovers an abandoned handbag on a Parisian street. Anything of value to the mugger has been removed, but there are all sorts of other items left behind. Laurent feels a strong impulse to return the bag and remaining contents to its owner. As he tries to discern who she is from her belongings he becomes fascinated with a red notebook that contains her day to day thoughts and jottings. What has happened to the notebook's owner and can he piece the puzzle together to find her in a city of millions? A lovely little read, well enjoyed. ( )
  DebbieMcCauley | Jun 18, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

Read all my books on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Books about books always make me happy, and since I try to diversify my reading I wanted to read this little French book about a man, a book store and a handbag. (In English of course).

When Laurent finds a handbag thrown away in the street without a purse but filled with other belongings he is immediately fascinated by it. The next days he spends trying to figure out how to find the owner of the bag and to return it to her.

Though not filled with as much books as I would have liked, this was a charming little read. I've always have some troubles to believe that people would be fascinated so much so quickly (as in it completely takes over their lives). Also, I wonder how people always spend this gigantic amount of time reading someone's diary, when it is not so much text at all (and if it really is important one could have read that way faster). Either way, I still enjoyed Laurent's search, even though it was a little bit too sweet at times.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |

Antoine Laurainprimary authorall editionscalculated
Aitken, JaneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Boyce, EmilyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Feixas, PalmiraTraductorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Feixas, PalmiraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
There is little but the sublime to help us through the ordinary in life. Alain (Emile-August Chartier)
The taxi had dropped her on the corner of the boulevard.
Up until the day he had started to feel, dimly at first, then more and more clearly, that the man he had become was the absolute opposite of what he really was. Although the dichotomy weighed heavily on him, for a while the money he was earning was compensation enough, but then it could no longer make up for it.
But it wasn't the title that he had heard but an actual question, "Are you nostalgic for what could have been?" posed by a stranger. A question he had answered truthfully: "Yes." And when this random customer had departed with his book, Laurent wondered the man had come in purely to put into words the feeling he was living with.
We talk of "regrets" about the course of our lives, when we are almost certain we have taken the wrong decision; but one can also be enveloped in a sweet and mysterious euphoria, a sort of nostalgia for what might have been.

"Heroic bookseller Laurent Letellier comes across an abandoned handbag on a Parisian street. There's nothing in the bag to indicate who it belongs to, although there's all sorts of other things in it. Laurent feels a strong impulse to find the owner and tries to puzzle together who she might be from the contents of the bag. Especially a red notebook with her jottings, which really makes him want to meet her. Without even a name to go on, and only a few of her possessions to help him, how is he to find one woman in a city of millions?"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,419,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible